Just got a WRX about a week back- Steering/Handling behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just got a WRX about a week back- Steering/Handling behavior within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm relatively new here, and completely new to all wheel drive cars. I've had my WRX for about a ...

Just got a WRX about a week back- Steering/Handling behavior

So I'm relatively new here, and completely new to all wheel drive cars. I've had my WRX for about a week . One thing I've noticed, is that turning and leaning into the throttle immediately (especially on right turns) from a stop will sometimes cause the back to pop out and the car to almost slide sideways into the turn. This happened to me this morning and I was not expecting it and ended up completely in the other lane. If there were a car coming I would have been hit, thankfully nobody was there. Roads weren't wet, but I did have sport tires on... What is this behavior? I've driven FWD cars mostly and this didn't feel like torque steer... Almost felt like oversteer, or like I was drifting or something. Is this normal? Please forgive my noobishness. First all wheel drive car, doncha know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No that is most likely the momentum of the car breaking the contact with the road because you have frozen summer tires.

That's what I figured. Yay me, haha. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Isn't it below freezing in your area? Summers will simply not work if so. Be lighter on the throttle and at a minimum switch to all-seasons -- winters would be best. Stay light on the throttle no matter what though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, I just got the car and I bought it from a warmer area down south so I had no choice in the tires. They were new, but summer tires indeed.

It was negative 9 like two days ago. Been very very cold haha. Did not drive those days.

Yeah, control that right foot of yours too...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quite, haha. I'm not, like, flooring it or anything. I simply applied too much too early.
    Last edited by Hobbitrabbit; 01-09-2014 at 05:22 PM.

It's been near 0 here all week and the only thing I noticed was I can't shift, the clutch is heavy and gooey...oh, and the battery or something else makes a terrible buzzing noise when I try to get it started. Granted, it was a -13F w/ the wind chill, so the entire car was frozen. He doesn't like it one bit, the transmission especially. I even think the parking brake was frozen, I was coming to a complete stop in neutral on a decline.
    Not so much anymore.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    This is the first weather I've ever experienced in mine that has affected it that way - until it warms up the shifting is like plowing through molasses. Once it warms everything is back to normal, but must take it easy for the first few miles.

As for the tires, understand that the summer tires are designed with a compound built to grip best when warm, and as soon as temps get to the low 40s they lose that quality completely. The cooler it gets after that the harder the compound gets, and they go from not as grippy to ice pucks. These extreme temps make them downright unsafe if you push them at all. When you can, get yourself some winter tires. It's worth the initial investment and makes these cars snowcats in winter.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Absolutely will once I can afford to. One of the reasons I bought my WRX is because I wanted to rock the AWD in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitrabbit View Post
    Absolutely will once I can afford to. One of the reasons I bought my WRX is because I wanted to rock the AWD in the snow.
    I am in Minnesota.. I did not leave the dealer until the winter tires were on the car the day I bought it after test driving it when it was about 7 degrees outside and an inch of snow on the ground. The stock summer tires in this car are downright scary, don't let the AWD fool you. You can probably get by but you are going to have to drive like a grandpa and don't expect much traction up hills or if you get more than a couple of inches of snow.

Also look for used Winter tires, you might find a bargain. I am running Blizzak WS-70's and they are awesome in the cold and snow. Night and day difference vs stock.

Awesome. You'd definitely need those in Minnesota, haha. Blizzak WS-70's eh? I'll look into those!

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome. You'd definitely need those in Minnesota, haha. Blizzak WS-70's eh? I'll look into those!
    I have blizzaks as well. They have overall been good winter tires. They were awesome for the first winter that I had them and then the performance significantly dropped off, but still did much better than summer tires obviously. For what it is worth, I am going to be getting Nokian winter tires next time, as they are extremely high quality. I wish I had purchased the Nokians originally. But any winter tire will do better than summer tires as the compound is much softer and the tread more aggressive.

Nokians are around the same price as Blizzaks, it looks like. What makes them superior to Blizzaks?

I Support ClubWRX
    Nokians are around the same price as Blizzaks, it looks like. What makes them superior to Blizzaks?
    Longer lasting compound I would say is the biggest factor. Like I said, after the first season, the blizzaks went downhill fast. They were great at first but now I would put them at average (still much better than summers) after the first season.

Look up the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast