Just got a WRX about a week back- Steering/Handling behavior - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Just got a WRX about a week back- Steering/Handling behavior within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That was the one I was looking at. Pretty solid....

That was the one I was looking at. Pretty solid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitrabbit View Post
    Nokians are around the same price as Blizzaks, it looks like. What makes them superior to Blizzaks?
    I run WS70's as well, excellent so far with the sub zero temps, and snow we've had. Where did you see the Nokians close in price to the Blizzaks ???? I'm seeing at least a 177.00 diff at lowest (for all 4 new).
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

One place was having some sort of a special I think. I can't find it again. Whatever, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitrabbit View Post
    Absolutely will once I can afford to. One of the reasons I bought my WRX is because I wanted to rock the AWD in the snow.
    Problem is that AWD is useless in the winter with summer shoes on. You need to get winters on your WRX ASAP or park it until winter's over.

I find it humorous the number of posts I see where new WRX owners say they don't need winter tires because they have AWD...and they're driving in temperatures clearly below freezing. At wheel change out in November, it was 40F outside and my summers were as hard as a rock. I run a dedicated set of winter wheels with Blizzaks.

^+1 Talked with a fellow Subie owner who left the summers on a wee bit to long. Got stuck on a highway during a snow storm. Summers are useless ...hockey pucks on a rink.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I'd go blizzaks. I've been runing blizzaks on my subie since 2002. One thing you have to understand is they are meant to be driven in the snow. When you put them on you will notice some sidewall flex when moving the steering wheel back and fourth. Not sure about the ws-70's but the 50's were speed rated to like 90 mph so no crazy highway pulls. Also these tires on dry pavement aren't meant to be thrown into turns. They aren't performance tires so don't expect them to perform like that. Once it snows though you'll realize why you deal with them in the dry all winter long. The grip and control while sliding you get is incredible. As far as them falling off after a year I don't believe that at all. My first set I had for 4 winters. I would put them on my car when temps stayed below 50 degrees consistently and put them back on in the spring when it was consistently above 50. In year three (maybe 10-15k miles into the tire) I could say towards the end I noticed the grip wasn't as close to there as brand new but definitely still wasn't ever going to get stuck. Year 4 when going sideways it wasn't as easy to control and would have less lateral grip. Pretty much felt like a brand new good all season tire. Sadly enough half way through the season my valve stem cracked and leaked all the air out. I put on my spare and my trans started to bind. I put the tire back on and blasted 70 lbs of air into it to try to get to work. Sadly I had to drive on it flat for about 4 miles to get to work. I then picked up new used ws-50's from a friends brother for 100 bucks that were used for 1k miles but he sold his car. lol. Long story short buy snow tires.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.