bugeye opinions?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on bugeye opinions? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I have a 03 bugeye that after i baught it the botton part of the engine went out, I ...

bugeye opinions?

Hi, I have a 03 bugeye that after i baught it the botton part of the engine went out, I baught it 3 months ago and drove it for 2 weeks at most before it broke down, anyway long story short I made a stupid buy and now have to deal with it. I'm 17 (turn 18 at the end of Feb) and don't know a lot about subies but want to learn more about them! But back to my question... when I get my bugeye back should I spend money on it to make it faster and nicer or should I save up money and wait a few years and buy an sti? I asked this at a different website and a lot of the answers said to just dump the car and buy a new car which I can't do, my parents are helping me pay for the engine. So what do you guys think???

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Save your money and maintain the car
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CSchaeff21 View Post
    Hi, I have a 03 bugeye that after i baught it the botton part of the engine went out, I baught it 3 months ago and drove it for 2 weeks at most before it broke down, anyway long story short I made a stupid buy and now have to deal with it. I'm 17 (turn 18 at the end of Feb) and don't know a lot about subies but want to learn more about them! But back to my question... when I get my bugeye back should I spend money on it to make it faster
    No.

or should I save up money
    Yes.

and wait a few years and buy an sti?
    No.

Save money. If the car runs, keep it running, stock.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    young driver + fast car = not good.
    If you were going to spend some money go with some cosmetic upgrades. The car should be fast enough.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Get something cheap and reliable. Save your money. Buy an STi or WRX when you can truly afford it. The car is too old and very likely not worth putting a new motor in, depending on the value and condition of the car.

How many miles on it? Modifications? Other major problems? Maint. record?

Or rebuild the engine and get as many miles out of it as you can...provided something else dosn't break. I don't know the condition of your car or how well it has been maintained. This would be a big factor in my decision along with condition and value of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Get something cheap and reliable. Save your money. Buy an STi or WRX when you can truly afford it. The car is too old and very likely not worth putting a new motor in, depending on the value and condition of the car.

How many miles on it? Modifications? Other major problems? Maint. record?

Or rebuild the engine and get as many miles out of it as you can...provided something else dosn't break. I don't know the condition of your car or how well it has been maintained. This would be a big factor in my decision along with condition and value of the car.
    There is only 125,xxx miles on the whole car, I replaced the tranny and rear diff already (both have 70,xxx miles) along with the clutch and flywheel got brand new tires on it. It has a BOV, sway bars, Air intake, Short shifter (kartboy), Rally Armor mud flaps and tinted windows and STI wing. My mechanic is already rebuilding the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    young driver + fast car = not good.
    If you were going to spend some money go with some cosmetic upgrades. The car should be fast enough.
    I get that a lot of young drivers with theese car wreck them and get in accidents but I'm a very good drive otherwise my parents wouldn't have let me get that fast of a car so please stay away from those comments. Away from that... Do you have suggestions of what I could to the interior/exterior to make it look better? I need to get a new front driver side fender, front bumper and possibly trunk lid

I Support ClubWRX
    True I dont know your driving record. I should have said in general a majority of younger / inexperienced drives. Im not saying accident but maybe a few speeding tickets. Are you on your parents insurance?

Wagon or 4Dr? You can always do a trunk swap. maybe mess around with vinyl wrap or plasti dip. Clean the interior get a new shift book and shifter. maybe some interior illumination. You can also always go with suspension and handling upgrades. Do you know if the uppipe has been upgraded or retrofitted to a catless Get a front lip do an HID retrofit
    Last edited by cflip2x; 01-08-2014 at 08:44 PM.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    True I dont know your driving record. I should have said in general a majority of younger / inexperienced drives. Im not saying accident but maybe a few speeding tickets. Are you on your parents insurance?

Wagon or 4Dr? You can always do a trunk swap. maybe mess around with vinyl wrap or plasti dip. Clean the interior get a new shift book and shifter. maybe some interior illumination. You can also always go with suspension and handling upgrades. Do you know if the uppipe has been upgraded or retrofitted to a catless Get a front lip do an HID retrofit
    Yeah I'm on my parents but its under my name, never had a speeding ticket under my name (i got a photo ticket in the mail but i was in my sisters car and we never changed the name).

It's a 4dr sedan, I'm going to a hands-on school and know to paint my car with water-based paint so i want to two-tone it(it's silver, I want to paint the top half black with a thin red strip in between the silver and black), I want to paint my wheels (they aren't stock) black with red splatters all over. I think the uppipe is aftermarket and i have a aftermarket exhaush but had to put the cat back on it because of emmissions and I stripped one of the bolts on so idk if I cant get it off. I'm planning on getting a nice stereo system with a 12'' sub and a 7'' touch screen stereo. I was thinking of buying "subaru" stickers and putting them on the door handles but idk yet

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Looks like your option is: Get as many miles and fun as you can out of it. Seems like you've spent what the car is worth already.

Lord knows I've been doing this very thing. Bought my car with a blown tranny and cosmetic damage for cheap. Replaced a few things, now my car has traveled enough miles to have been to the moon and it's currently on it's return trip. I drive the life out of it, autoX, road trips etc.

Good luck with it, don't paint it to where it looks dumb. ok?
    ..btw, with those mods you'll want a tune to take advantage of the potential power. Ok that's all, I'm out.

Damn, sounds like an awesome paint job idea.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Subaru's are fast......?

Save money. Maintain car. Drive the car. Learn the car. Make slight modifications. Be happy.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CSchaeff21 View Post
    I get that a lot of young drivers with theese car wreck them and get in accidents but I'm a very good drive otherwise my parents wouldn't have let me get that fast of a car so please stay away from those comments. Away from that...
    In the twelve years I've been on this forum and have owned a car like yours, there has never been a teen that's not a very good driver, with parents that would not have otherwise helped them buy the car. This implies you may not be not alone, and you may not be as good as you think.

If you can fix the car, fix it. Keep it stock. Keep it as long as possible. Spend as little money on it as possible. It is unlikely any exterior modifications you attempt will improve the looks of the car. It is even less likely anyone will care. Therefore I'd care more about money. Keep as much of your money as possible.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Everyone thinks they're an above average driver.

Bummer you're having problems with the vehicle. I second what has been said here though, do light (read: cheap) cosmetic mods and put money into keeping the car well maintained. Having ANY car that runs gets you significantly more action than a fast car that doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.