Small problem any input appreciated

This is a discussion on Small problem any input appreciated within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving to work this morning as soon as I hit 65 the car starting shaking 70 forget it ...

Small problem any input appreciated

I was driving to work this morning as soon as I hit 65 the car starting shaking 70 forget it felt the seat shake. My first thought is an out of balance tire, than I went over some deep snow the day before maybe something there, low oil? Anywho driving back from work hoping maybe it would fix itself although no luck, pull into my driveway pop the hood and I quickly notice something, probably mice, had built some sort of nest leaves tissues etc. just looking for some advice from anyone who may have some experience with preventing this, or dealt with in the past and what possible damage has been done and why the shakes. Thanks for any help

2012 wrx hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You had rats in your...engine bay? Then the car started shaking (through the seat) at highway speeds?

I can't imagine how those would be related lol. Sounds like you had snow/ice stuck in your wheels (probably rear wheels) and in a completely unrelated case, mice are shacking up in your engine because it's warm and enclosed.

In the muffler? Airtake? And I did knock off snow when I got home, parked the car outside so Ill check again tomorrow I've heard bas stories about mice getting in and chewing everything

Unless they chewed through your suspension or something to do with you steering I don't think they would've done anything there. The shaking could've been from snow and I've build up on your wheels. At speeds like that a very small amount of difference in your wheels can make your car shake.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Knocked some snow off today hope ur right will take it back out first thing tomorrow

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Are you parking in tall grass or something? sounds like you may need to invest in a cat; keep it outside.

I was plowing through snow in my yard one day and got the same result lol. Drove fine up until 55-60 mph and after that the front end was violently shaking. Thought it was an out of balance tire myself, but it's not. I just took warm water and sprayed up underneath the fenders and got the access snow off and problem solved. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Are you parking in tall grass or something? sounds like you may need to invest in a cat; keep it outside.
    I have marsh lands just past my back yards so we get mice in the shed and the basement crawl spaces not the garage although temps have been very low the last couple of days this morning it was -1, definitely will make them seek a warmer home

Awesome thanks! Looking forward to taking it for a ride tomorrow first thing! Driving home I'm in the first lane doing 55 had another wrx fly by beeping his horn I felt like when of those old guys who buy a vette and don't go over 60

Yeah, likely snow stuck in one of your wheels. I actually had a similar issue on our Toyota Sienna…couldn't figure it out forever, then had my brakes done and the service guy said there was some dirt stuck in the inside of the rear wheel…he knocked it out and the problem was gone!

agree with the snow buildup. if its snowing and your driving, it will build up on the inside lip of your wheels, mostly in the rear(where you really cant see it) and two ounces of snow or mud/gravel will cause a hell'ova shake. big chunks will make it feel like your driving a rally course at 90 doing 65 on smooth roads. i see it alot this time of the year and vehicle make/ model really doesnt matter, although bigger wheels(like 20" pickup) mean more buildup. ive knocked pounds of snow/dirt our of big suv's with 18 and up. two easy ways to check, bring it to a shop and ask them to check or duck under the car and look at the back of the wheel. or, you could take it to a detail shop for a indoor wash and ask them to make sure they blast the wheels out. that way you get wrx shiny and ride smooth.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob