Massive clunking/bumping noise when I....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Massive clunking/bumping noise when I.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so, when I try to launch with traction control off, I usually rev up to 4000-5000 rpm and dump ...

Massive clunking/bumping noise when I....

Ok so, when I try to launch with traction control off, I usually rev up to 4000-5000 rpm and dump the clutch and the wheels start spinning but I hear 4 to 5 very loud clunks or bumps coming from under the car. Is this wheel hop? Or something else? What is causing this noise and what aftermarket parts can I purchase to eliminate this issue?

I want to do some legally sanctioned 1/4 mile runs down at the track and would like to diagnose and eliminate this issue if possible before going there in the spring.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The rear diff and gearbox are mounted relatively flexibly. For the gearbox there are harder mounts; some where once homologated and so are still called "Group N." For the rear diff you can buy kits with bolts to secure it to the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

probably mount problem. I know in my old speed6 my rear diff would make the most awful noise ever when taking off hard. I would say upgrade the different mounts and see if that helps, some of them are pretty flimsy. Maybe start with the tranny mount?

Yeah I've been looking around. It seems that some of the more popular things are group-N mounts and kartboy engine pitch mount. But I'm not sure how a pitch mount affects wheel hop. I got a lot more research to do it seems
    Last edited by LENSPEC; 12-30-2013 at 01:04 AM.

And now after more research, I find many different types of mounts created by multiple different brands. This should be interesting....

be sure to let me know what u end up doing

I Support ClubWRX
    You want to check out turninconcepts.com

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You want to check out turninconcepts.com
    oh damn....so many options that all appear to do the same thing.

Is everything the same but with slightly different designs?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are looking for rear diff look at the whiteline rear diff mount in cradle bushing. For the gearbox you can also look at whiteline positive shift bushing kit, and the group n transmission mount. Perrin also makes a rear diff lockdown kit.

If you are looking for rear diff look at the whiteline rear diff mount in cradle bushing. For the gearbox you can also look at whiteline positive shift bushing kit, and the group n transmission mount. Perrin also makes a rear diff lockdown kit.
    great thanks,

has it been said that perrin rear bushings are better or worse than the whiteline ones, or vice/versa ?

thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LENSPEC View Post
    great thanks,

has it been said that perrin rear bushings are better or worse than the whiteline ones, or vice/versa ?

thanks
    There is not much to them. Both companies make good ones. It is all dependent on where you want your money to go.

There is not much to them. Both companies make good ones. It is all dependent on where you want your money to go.
    True.
    In looking at both the whiteline and perrin rear diff insert kits, perrin seems much stronger.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.