Deep water hazard
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Deep water hazard within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On a drive down an infamiliar road earlier today, I hit what I thought was a "puddle" and it turned ...

Deep water hazard

On a drive down an infamiliar road earlier today, I hit what I thought was a "puddle" and it turned out to be a small lake. The water was maybe 2-3 feet deep. I hit it going 40 mph, and my momentum carried me through. My license plate was all warped and bent up, but that was easily fixed. The rest of the fenders and body was fine. When I examined the engine, the belts were dry and everything seemed fine, and the car drove just fine too.

The area this puddle was located is right next to a marsh, so when I turned the corner, I stopped and examined the tide, which was low. I don't think the salinty of the water was very high but I really don't know, it could have been left over from the marsh being flooded during the high tide and heavy rain earlier in the day.

Could deep water damage the engine if you plowed through it like this? Should I be considered about possible salt water damage? (the marsh is brackish and it's been raining for hours, I don't think the salinty of the water would have been high, but I don't know if even a small amount could be serious.) Comments appreciated, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I honestly dont think that you cause any damage! the intake didnt ingest water! it would have Hydrolocked , if everything was dry in the engine bay , i wouldnt worry about it.....

Hydrolock would have been very noticeable! No damage done, all good. If you don't get any rain or clear water at all then maybe you'd want to give it a rinse, like around suspension and brakes. Otherwise there seems to be no cause to worry.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

When I got to my destination, I borrowed the hose and gave it a good rinse around the suspension brakes and exhaust, pretty much everywhere I could get to without rolling around on the ground. Thanks for the reassurance, I thought it should be fine all things considered.

I wish I had had a camera set up to record me hitting the pudd..ahem, pond. From my perspective alone, the splash was pretty epic.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.