2013 WRX low mpg after intake filter change + oil change
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX low mpg after intake filter change + oil change within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, I'm a little worried about my lowered mpg after intake filter replacement + oil change from the dealer ...

2013 WRX low mpg after intake filter change + oil change

Hi guys, I'm a little worried about my lowered mpg after intake filter replacement + oil change from the dealer @15k interval maintenance.
    I have a 2013 WRX Sedan with roughly 17,600 miles. I had an oil change and intake filter replacement around 15,800 miles and since that time I have been experiencing a loss of mpg 3-4mpg. My driving has not changed at all I commute roughly 60 miles per day mostly highway miles with 25.3 mpg average. Since, I have had the work done I have only been getting 22mpg. I don't drive the car hard at all and it has the summer tires on with stock rims both OEM. I am located around Albany, NY area.

Any idea what it could be , I have had this work done at the dealer. I am worried they might have put regular oil instead of full synthetic. I have always used 93 Octane on this car and have been following the maintenance manual for all the routine stuff. No mods everything stock.

Please help I'm OCD about this stuff .

Thanks!
    Last edited by submissions72; 12-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Does synthetic oil really make that much difference? I've always ran regular oil on any car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    I am pretty sure the '13 WRX calls for synthetic and I would be surprised if the dealer put in conventional. I didn't notice much of a difference when I switched to synthetic. My guess is it could be the winter blend fuel. That fuel can lower fuel economy by a good chunk because of the different ethanol amounts. Also, the colder temperatures could have lowered your tire pressure and maybe you have been idling your car for a bit before driving to warm it up inside? These could have just coincided with the maintenance. Just a guess. I will stay posted to see what happens.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I'm near Albany too. I feel that the "winter gas" and letting the car warm up in the morning is the culprit. What dealer did you bring it too? Why don't you have snows on it? did you not drive last week during the storm?

Your car is gonna blow up.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Same thing happened to me. The bottom of the air filter housing was not attached properly after my service. Be sure to check it. I was getting open unfiltered air straight into the intake

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm voting winter time impact too.

I Support ClubWRX
    kritzell makes a great point.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    I'm near Albany too. I feel that the "winter gas" and letting the car warm up in the morning is the culprit. What dealer did you bring it too? Why don't you have snows on it? did you not drive last week during the storm?
    Is the "winter gas" affecting you too? I didn't have this issue last year during winter. I usually give it 3-4 minutes in the morning before taking off. I took it to Goldstein Subaru, never had issues with them but if they didn't put the filter on properly or something I'm going to throw a fit. I just put on my steelies a week ago and the gas mileage is just as bad as it was right after the service.

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    Same thing happened to me. The bottom of the air filter housing was not attached properly after my service. Be sure to check it. I was getting open unfiltered air straight into the intake
    Thanks for the input, I will check it out.

This is concerning and if this is indeed the case, I will never take it back to Goldstein Subaru in Albany again.

Will keep you guys updated. Did you have it serviced at the dealer as well??

Quote Originally Posted by submissions72 View Post
    This is concerning and if this is indeed the case, I will never take it back to Goldstein Subaru in Albany again.

Will keep you guys updated. Did you have it serviced at the dealer as well??
    If you check out unysoc.org, you'll find tons of complaints against Goldstein. I wouldn't go there...

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    If you check out unysoc.org, you'll find tons of complaints against Goldstein. I wouldn't go there...
    Hey I didn't know about this. thanks!

You have a PM...

i have a scangauge in my car and when i bought my wrx i was getting like 18-27 mpg split (hard driving - slower driving). these numbers were experience in the summer on a 12 wrx in michigan, mod-less with oem everything (12k miles on it).

during the winter, roughly 50-60 degrees colder with everything still stock ill get 16-24 mpg split (hard driving - slow driving). the decrease in mpg from the summer to winter was the same in my 02' honda civic which i hypermiled using my scangauge. winter gas, colder temps, colder starts, no bueno for mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by submissions72 View Post
    Is the "winter gas" affecting you too? I didn't have this issue last year during winter. I usually give it 3-4 minutes in the morning before taking off. I took it to Goldstein Subaru, never had issues with them but if they didn't put the filter on properly or something I'm going to throw a fit. I just put on my steelies a week ago and the gas mileage is just as bad as it was right after the service.
    My commute has recently changed from highway to back roads so I'm thinking that's why my mileage has dropped. I have not driven enough on the winter gas to figure out how much it has decreased since my change in commute. I got my car from Goldstein too and haven't heard anything bad about them, now I'm kinda worried!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast