2013 WRX low mpg after intake filter change + oil change - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX low mpg after intake filter change + oil change within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Amg14 i have a scangauge in my car and when i bought my wrx i was getting ...

Quote Originally Posted by Amg14 View Post
    i have a scangauge in my car and when i bought my wrx i was getting like 18-27 mpg split (hard driving - slower driving). these numbers were experience in the summer on a 12 wrx in michigan, mod-less with oem everything (12k miles on it).

during the winter, roughly 50-60 degrees colder with everything still stock ill get 16-24 mpg split (hard driving - slow driving). the decrease in mpg from the summer to winter was the same in my 02' honda civic which i hypermiled using my scangauge. winter gas, colder temps, colder starts, no bueno for mpg.
    16-24 mpg split..this is exactly what I'm getting. If I had the same issue last year with the mpg during the 2012 winter I wouldn't have even cared or if I hadn't taken the car for servicing I wouldn't even worry about it. I can't wait back to get home and check the intake filter myself..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    kritzell makes a great point.
    if there is a disruption to the airflow to the engine wouldn't that trigger the check engine light?

I Support ClubWRX
    Goldstein is a ****ing joke; they are the worst dealership in the area. You're far better off with Capitaland. Honestly, for an oil change / air filter replacement, just DIY (keep receipts and take picture of odometer with them)...any needed tools will pay for themselves pretty much after the first or second interval. If you're without location to be able to do said job, go on the UNYSOC site; great group of guys, and I'm sure someone would let you use their garage if you buy them a 6er.

That said, the winter blend of gas will drop your MPGs a bit.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-31-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Now I'm not happy to hear that about Goldstein . Figured that a dealership that offered a lifetime power train warranty would want to do everything in their power to upkeep the vehicles to the best of their ability to lessen the risk of having to warranty something down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    Now I'm not happy to hear that about Goldstein . Figured that a dealership that offered a lifetime power train warranty would want to do everything in their power to upkeep the vehicles to the best of their ability to lessen the risk of having to warranty something down the road.
    Yea, especially if they screwed up something as silly as putting on a damn air filter. I can't wait to get back to Albany to check up on that.

Let us know the outcome.

Winter fuel and lower temps.... my car does the same
    Unfiltered air will not cause a drop in mpg's, just more wear on the engine over the long run.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    Read the posts regarding Goldsteins on unysoc.org...you'll start to understand why an overwhelming majority of Subaru enthusiasts steer clear of them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Question to OP, did you put on a roof rack? My MPGs have decreased by 1-2 per tank average with my roof rack on because of the added drag.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

My apologies if I missed it but did you hand-calculate the MPG or go by the onboard MPG reading?

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Question to OP, did you put on a roof rack? My MPGs have decreased by 1-2 per tank average with my roof rack on because of the added drag.
    Nope no roof rack. No change whatsoever from when i had 25.3 mpg. Well, none besides the oil change + intake filter change. I noticed it immediately after those two.

Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post
    My apologies if I missed it but did you hand-calculate the MPG or go by the onboard MPG reading?
    onboard MPG reading.

I'm waiting until the 3rd to check my intake filter that's when I get back to Albany from winter break, will keep everyone posted. If I see the intake filter wasn't put on properly...I'll be damn sure to post some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by submissions72 View Post
    onboard MPG reading.
    Whatever work was done may have affected the reading. I'd hand-calculate to verify what that shows.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Read the posts regarding Goldsteins on unysoc.org...you'll start to understand why an overwhelming majority of Subaru enthusiasts steer clear of them.
    Damn, Damn, Damn.....I finally remembered my password for unysoc and did this thing called a "search" now I'm very disappointed. I want to take my car to Capitaland for an oil change but I'm slightly concerned about loosing my lifetime power train warranty through Goldstein. What would you guys do? Just say F*&^ the lifetime warranty and jump ship?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast