I'm Addicted. Period.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm Addicted. Period. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving my new WRX hatch is simply addicting. It's the best car I've ever owned, price has nothing to do ...

I'm Addicted. Period.

Driving my new WRX hatch is simply addicting. It's the best car I've ever owned, price has nothing to do with it.

From commuting to work and trying to get the best gas mileage possible (33mpg today is my record so far... not too shabby!), to being challenged by a Mitsu Evo and showing it can't be bullied around, the WRX has me thinking about it night and day. I can't stop wanting to drive it. I love the interior, its simple, practical, and doesn't present any distractions from the experience of driving the WRX- just as I prefer. I routinely shut off the stereo and my favorite tunes, just so I can listen engine rev up a bit, or, enjoy near perfectly silent drives on the road (this car is very quiet to drive in).

It's changed everything I think about driving- a real sports car that can become a lifestyle.

I'm fascinated with sports car reviews now ( a big thanks to Carlos Lago and his excellent videos too), but appreciate other cars and don't long for them. Truly that means I've found the right car for me at this point in my life. There is simply no way to describe how the WRX makes me feel putting down words in a forum, or a blog review (to come soon on my blog), but I am trying my best. For those who haven't test driven a WRX yet, and prefer to choose based on spec sheets and internet information- I say to you: Give it up. Stop it. Get in a WRX and try a test drive. Test drive other cars in its class too, you may like something more, or, you'll find that nothing compares to the WRX at all. That's what happened to me.

Owning one has my brain tied into it like an electrical connection. It sits in my driveway clean, backed in and ready to roll right out onto the street, begging me to start it and drive it somewhere- anywhere. Is this what other car enthusiasts are experiencing as well? Have I gone a bit obsessed or something? Why do I want to be in it all the time, and so often?

All that said I have some advice for shoppers looking to get a WRX. Whatever you do, get the short shifter option. Mine came with it because the dealership I bought from realized that all WRX buyers wanted this shifter, so they put them in right away. Nice. It's the best accessory I can think of for the price and you appreciate it every time your hand is on the shifter. It's amazing.

I've been a good boy overall breaking it in, but I'll admit, I have gone over 4K RPMS several times. I figure 95% of the time I'm being perfect with the car for its break in so hopefully, I haven't done any permanent damage. I have not redlined it, nor taken it over 5,500 RPMS yet. It's so difficult to hold back but I find that the WRX is equally enjoyable to drive restrained and conservative. It's so comfortable and roomy, it honestly feels better to drive than the family 10' Forester. It begs me to see how good of gas mileage I can get, at the same time I know I can jump on it and pounce on just about any car that comes next to me.

I live in South Orange County California, and super expensive cars are around me everywhere. I find more of them here than I do when driving in up scale LA areas. When some of these cars come up next to me, I don't feel intimidated or lustful after them, I want someone to step on the gas and challenge me to a quick duel quickly realizing that they tried pushing around the wrong car and driver.

Anyways I had to get these thoughts down and share with other Subaru owners here. I should be reading more posts at this point than making them, but I just have too much excitement in my veins right now to read.

Cheers to all WREX owners!

Carl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

33 mpg?! May i introduce you to your friend on the right; the gas pedal!

Yep 33mpg, 31 most days going to work. Don't worry, I do hit the gas pedal. Part of me was fed up seeing information that the WRX can't get good gas mileage. All how you drive and your motivation I say.

OTOH- When I drive it, I'm lucky to get 19mpg. So far I've kept those sessions short and infrequent, otherwise I'd be looking at a big gas bill monthly! Btw, your WRX is the same color as mine- dark metallic grey, unless that's black .

Carl

I also love my 13 wrx sedan. It's the first car I've ever owned where I didn't want something else within a few months after ownership.

hear hear!! well said, I'm sure I'll agree in a few months time

tl;dr
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by 2112rush View Post
    Yep 33mpg, 31 most days going to work. Don't worry, I do hit the gas pedal. Part of me was fed up seeing information that the WRX can't get good gas mileage. All how you drive and your motivation I say.

OTOH- When I drive it, I'm lucky to get 19mpg. So far I've kept those sessions short and infrequent, otherwise I'd be looking at a big gas bill monthly! Btw, your WRX is the same color as mine- dark metallic grey, unless that's black .

Carl
    Its black

Glad your in love with it like me! I frequently leave the house just to drive my car around and hear that boxer rumble
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    tl;dr
    WRX. Fun. Much Enjoyment. MPGs
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    WRX. Fun. Much Enjoyment. MPGs
    noted.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    Glad your in love with it like me! I frequently leave the house just to drive my car around and hear that boxer rumble
    Your neighbors must hate you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

All of the above with the plus of practicality. And during the past week it held up fine to sub-zero temps to boot... I love this car. It is the best I've had yet. I have been thru maybe a dozen cars over the past 25 years... Everything from small passenger cars and station wagons thru SUV's and pick-up's...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Take it out on the track, you will love it even more.
    2010 WRB WRX

Yeah still in love with mine a year after and 16,000 miles later
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

I still remember test-driving the WRX a month ago. I thought I was driving it like my old car (Corolla XRS 2012), but the moment I went on the highway, the tach needle hit 5000RPM while the engine sounded so smooth. I was very suprised. Finally got my own WRX 2 weeks ago and am babying it until I break the engine. Gas mileage was terrible for me because of the recent snow fall and driving in the city with stop signs (to get used to the clutch and all). Overall, I do like this car and just want to drive like I used to hitting the highway and curvy mountain roads.
    Midnight~

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast