First Snow In My Wrx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Snow In My Wrx within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First snow that ' ve owned a wrx. Pretty impressed with how it handled in it. I was on summer ...

First Snow In My Wrx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	124770

First snow that ' ve owned a wrx. Pretty impressed with how it handled in it. I was on summer road tires so anything over 3 inches was a little bit of a challenge. Definitely going to buy winter tires next year!
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    im not sure of how the weather is in Missouri but your going to stick with summer tires this season?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Theres a couple reasons why.
    1. No money (biggest factor)
    2. there are only 3 or 4 storms a year that bring enough snow to cover the road.
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good idea to stick with stock summers in the snow. Makes driving & stopping more exciting.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Good idea to stick with stock summers in the snow. Makes driving & stopping more exciting.
    It also allows you to verify your "oh sh*t" handles are working properly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    I get it on not worth the swapping. I do have winter tires for my WRX, but we haven't bothered putting "winter tires" on my wife's car. We have the option to let her drive other more appropriate vehicles in the few storms we get in town.

all of that is to say, crash it once you will regret not finding the money to swap em out. You can get steelies or cheap rims for < $50 each. And consider the longevity of your winter tires if you only use them for 4 months a year…..

Don't forget, summer tires don't work well in snow, but they are also not recommended for below certain temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Don't forget, summer tires don't work well in snow, but they are also not recommended for below certain temps.
    Thanks, Captain Obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Thanks, Captain Obvious!
    I thought you were being halfway a d-bag...then realized OP's name was legitimately "Captain Obvious"
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Right now with the little amount of snow we get I have other priorities first. Like replacing my up-pipe. I will definitely have stock rims with snow tires next winter, no doubt. Not sure what the temps are for them but it wont get bellow like 10 degrees here. We got a total of about 8-10 inches and the only problem i had was trying to start from a dead stop in the deepest snow. i drove atleast 80 miles just today and didnt have any problems at all. ive seen people on here say they would rather have a front wheel drive car with winter tires than an awd car with summer tires but ive driven both and i would much rather have the awd. i will say its a whole lot easier to straighten out from sliding with an awd than it would be with a fwd with snow tires. just remember I live in a place where 8-10 inches is a BUNCH of snow and we normally only get 3-4 snow storms a year.
    ~2013 Honda Civic

advice.. stay off the roads during those 3-4 snow storms you get. Also summers can get rock/brittleness as it get colder affecting handling which is what the cap is talking about.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I thought you were being halfway a d-bag...then realized OP's name was legitimately "Captain Obvious"
    Captian Obvious is str8 G. You don't know him brah!

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    To hell with all of you!!!!

We got about 3 inches of snow on Wednesday, I live at the top of a pretty steep hill. Left the house and slid halfway down the hill, yep, will def being getting the winter rims on it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    Right now with the little amount of snow we get I have other priorities first. Like replacing my up-pipe. I will definitely have stock rims with snow tires next winter, no doubt. Not sure what the temps are for them but it wont get bellow like 10 degrees here. We got a total of about 8-10 inches and the only problem i had was trying to start from a dead stop in the deepest snow. i drove atleast 80 miles just today and didnt have any problems at all. ive seen people on here say they would rather have a front wheel drive car with winter tires than an awd car with summer tires but ive driven both and i would much rather have the awd. i will say its a whole lot easier to straighten out from sliding with an awd than it would be with a fwd with snow tires. just remember I live in a place where 8-10 inches is a BUNCH of snow and we normally only get 3-4 snow storms a year.
    First off, the need for dedicated winter tires when you're running summer tires has little to do with whether it snows or not. Your compound will start to become hard as a rock at temperatures below 50F. This will result in a loss of traction. Ice or snow will only make the traction worse. If your car has summers and you have winters, you should either be 1) running a dedicated set of winter tires or 2) running all season tires or 3) parking it for the winter.

Second, your priorities are screwed up. I'd wait on the up-pipe (and flash that's required with an up-pipe replacement) and get those winter tires now. Get the up-pipe and flash next year.

When you wind up putting your car in a ditch or hit someone because you chose an engine mod over a basic safety item, there's gonna be a bunch of guys telling you "I told you so!".

it never gets that cold here. I live in southeast missouri. And you dont need a flash with an uppipe on my car which is mentioned quite a few times by other members of this forum. Im not saying i dont need winter tires. I definitly do but by the time I would buy some we wouldnt be getting any more snow. plus i have another thread explaining that i bought the car and just found out that it has full exhaust so i have to invest in an AP also. you may think my priorities are jacked but IMO my priorities are what they need to be. everyone has the right to their opinion and i have the right to disagree with that opinion.
    ~2013 Honda Civic

Im not saying i dont need winter tires. I definitly do but by the time I would buy some we wouldnt be getting any more snow.
    Again, you're missing the point being made by several of us. The need for winter tires are not necessarily dictated by snow (or the lack thereof). When the outdoor temperature drops, your summer tires will not maintain its traction because the compound won't stay sticky. Snow and ice will only make things worse. If you live in a region that is subject to winter temperatures (regardless of whether it snows or not), you need winter tires or all seasons, if you're on summer tires now.

it never gets that cold here. I live in southeast missouri.
    If you're telling me it never gets colder than 45F in MO during the winter months, I think you're not being honest...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast