First Snow In My Wrx - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on First Snow In My Wrx within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Misery (short for Missouri) is hot and muggy in summer, stone-cold and icy in winter... Don't tell me otherwise. Been ...

Misery (short for Missouri) is hot and muggy in summer, stone-cold and icy in winter... Don't tell me otherwise. Been to Whiteman Air Force Base, granted it's on the western side, but nevertheless.
    I had the regular (all season) Goodyear Eagles on it when the first snow hit here in Colorado. The car did real well, the tires not so much. The lousy traction was VERY obvious. Changed that evening. World of difference. For now about 4 days we had temps between -10 and 10 F. This weather is moving to where the OP is... Winters are definitively recommended. But to each their own. . .
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just my .02 - I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin for 17+ years and never had dedicated winter tires. I always ran all-weather tires, including my 2002 Subaru Outback with stock AW's. I lived on a steep hill and never got stuck - well if the snow was more than a foot, I waited til the snowplow guy came ;-).

I am quite familiar with the composition and qualities of AW vs. winter tires, but I was just too lazy and cheap to want to change out. I would never run summer performance tires, but IMO control when driving in snow depends as much on the skill of the driver as the tires.

My 2012 WRX had AW Fuzions on it when I got it - not a highly recommended tire from what I've read, but I've been happy so far with the summer performance. We'll see how it does in the winter before I change them out...

where can you get steelies for < 50? I've been looking online and only found them on tirerack for ~$58. no luck on ebay or craigslist either...

Quote Originally Posted by pfalvey View Post
    where can you get steelies for < 50? I've been looking online and only found them on tirerack for ~$58. no luck on ebay or craigslist either...
    Facebook classified groups...Nasioc classifieds...they pop up all the time.

Just search for "Tri-State Subaru" since you're in NJ.

You wouldn't happen to need STI fitment wheels though would you?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Salvage yard?

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Tirerack.com had them < $50 each this summer. Looks like prices gets a bump in the winter when people start shopping! supply demand…...

Columbia Missouri MIZ!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	126354

General Altimax Artic 215/55R16

Quote Originally Posted by CurbCheck View Post
    Columbia Missouri MIZ!

You got all the snow and it stopped before it made it down by me! I'll have some snow tires and wheels for next year!

ZOU!

iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I thought you were being halfway a d-bag...then realized OP's name was legitimately "Captain Obvious"
    Haha that is good!

I bought a set of 2002 WRX wheels for a 100.00 off a forum member. Ended up selling them and getting A/S tires since we don't have horrible winters either. I have been fine on all my other cars with A/S.

Quote Originally Posted by CurbCheck View Post
    Columbia Missouri MIZ!

my twin? got those rims powder coated yo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131214_222715_Richtone(HDR).jpg  

We got 11 inches this past Saturday, and expecting 6 more today. Had to dig it out a bit, don't expect it to clear 20" plus of plowed snow.... lol But it handled well with the WS70's, once I got it on the road. It's not my old FX4 in snow, but I'm pretty pleased given ground clearance, etc. I feel pretty confident with the handling.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.