WTF was that noise? '13 WRX mechanical screech
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WTF was that noise? '13 WRX mechanical screech within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The other morning it was 17F. WRX had been parked all night. Started it up, let it run for a ...

WTF was that noise? '13 WRX mechanical screech

The other morning it was 17F. WRX had been parked all night. Started it up, let it run for a minute and then started driving 30-40 MPH. Had the radio on and within a minute of driving I heard a weird screeching from the engine compartment. Turned the radio down and about 30 seconds later it came back. The sound is hard to describe, but I thought the engine was seizing from the sound of it. No warning lights appeared on the dash and the car ran smoothly. The sound stopped after a few seconds and hasn't come back. Oil level is OK, belts seem fine. Has anyone else experienced this?
    2013 WRX Premium Hatch DGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you live on a gravel road or were they salting the road? could be a pebble stuck between the brake pads. Though thats a noise where you dont have to turn down the radio. You can always bring it back to the dealership to have them check it out.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Do you live on a gravel road or were they salting the road? could be a pebble stuck between the brake pads. Though thats a noise where you dont have to turn down the radio. You can always bring it back to the dealership to have them check it out.
    That's exactly what happened to me because I have a half gravel driveway dealer took it out no problem
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

do you have any mods on your car?? check the TB to TMIC hose and make sure its on there good.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The road is blacktop but they did repave one end of it this summer, leaving a lot of small pebbles. I suppose it could have been one of them caught between the caliper and the rotor. The car is stock btw.
    2013 WRX Premium Hatch DGM

On my previous car, the c30 had a notorious ear piercing screeching sound.

it was a mix of things, pebbles stuck between rotors and dust shields. And later, torn CV boots. Sounded horrific
    2013 DGM WRX

Gone but never forgotten
    2009 Volvo C30
    2002 Focus Focus ZX3

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.