Need some advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

This is a discussion on Need some advice within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm seriously thinking of trading in my 2014 tC for a new wrx in a couple years after I get ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382

    Need some advice

    I'm seriously thinking of trading in my 2014 tC for a new wrx in a couple years after I get my loan paid down abit and according to kbb.com a 2011 tC is valued at around 13k in todays market and so I imagine that's what my car will be worth in a couple years and I'll still owe about 16k give or take on it so if I get a good deal for my trade would it be worth rolling over 3k from my loan into a new loan for the wrx? My interest rate would be better as I'm already at 700 credit score now and this is my first car I bought on my own (the tC) so hopefully I can get lower payments and rolling the 3k over won't raise my month payment to much as my credit score will have gone up in a couple years.

    So basically would you do that if you were in my position or just wait til you got the car paid off in 6+ years and then trade it in? My girlfriend's mom works at a dealership that can get cars from various car dealers so I would be able to get a family discount up to 10% and her dad works at a Ford dealership and can hook me up with discounts from Subaru since he knows people in the business.

    Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

    Thanks guys!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Keep your current car and invest wisely.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  4. #3
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,452
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of trading in my 2014 tC for a new wrx in a couple years
    To put this in perspective, it is not unnatural to expect that in a couple years some of the current members of this forum will no longer own a Subaru, or drive a car, or even be alive. You're too far ahead.

    according to kbb.com a 2011 tC is valued at around 13k in todays market and so I imagine that's what my car will be worth in a couple years
    I can't think of a reason to conclude this but in any case, see above. Too early.

    would it be worth rolling over 3k from my loan into a new loan for the wrx?
    No.

    So basically would you do that if you were in my position or just wait til you got the car paid off in 6+ years and then trade it in?
    I'd pay off my current car and spend any/all money beyond that to maintain my current car to the letter of the book, using authentic Toyota parts. Once paid off, I'd drive my current car until it literally disintegrates. My current Toyota has 285,000 miles and was bought new in 1993. I don't need a new car. Do you?...

    I'm not saying all this to be contrarian or even harsh, I'm saying it because money is worth more than cars. Get more money, not cars. One way to help is to keep your current car as long as is reasonable plus several years beyond.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    To put this in perspective, it is not unnatural to expect that in a couple years some of the current members of this forum will no longer own a Subaru, or drive a car, or even be alive. You're too far ahead.



    I can't think of a reason to conclude this but in any case, see above. Too early.



    No.



    I'd pay off my current car and spend any/all money beyond that to maintain my current car to the letter of the book, using authentic Toyota parts. Once paid off, I'd drive my current car until it literally disintegrates. My current Toyota has 285,000 miles and was bought new in 1993. I don't need a new car. Do you?...

    I'm not saying all this to be contrarian or even harsh, I'm saying it because money is worth more than cars. Get more money, not cars. One way to help is to keep your current car as long as is reasonable plus several years beyond.
    Understandable but I'm pretty well off in terms of money so it's not much of an issue but obviously I want to get a good deal. Also getting up to 10% off base price for a new wrx is pretty sweet.

    I don't need a new car. Do you?...
    People also don't NEED to spend $35k on an Sti when a 20k car would suffice also.

    I understand what you're saying but it's human nature to want things we don't necessarily need.

  6. #5
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    it's human nature to want things we don't necessarily need.
    That's actually American culture, not human nature.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  7. #6
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,729
    Rolling over $3k into a WRX? No. Doesn't make sense unless you absolutely have to get rid of your current car for some reason. If you bought a WRX Premium for $30k out the door...and rolled $3k into that...then you'd be near STI money for nothing in return. It financially does not make sense to kill yourself like that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Rolling over $3k into a WRX? No. Doesn't make sense unless you absolutely have to get rid of your current car for some reason. If you bought a WRX Premium for $30k out the door...and rolled $3k into that...then you'd be near STI money for nothing in return. It financially does not make sense to kill yourself like that.
    Thank you.

  9. #8
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,709
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's never a good idea to roll over debt from one vehicle to another; it just perpetuates the cycle. Unless the vehicle is costing you more to drive it than it's worth (e.g., costly repair bills) and there is no end in sight, either keep it until you're no longer in the red, or have the money in the bank to pay off the remaining balance. The biggest problem in rolling over debt is that you are paying interest on that money for the duration of the loan, so what started out as $3K ends up being quite a bit more.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  10. #9
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,673
    I Support ClubWRX
    keep this thread civil and on track please.

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's never a good idea to roll over debt from one vehicle to another; it just perpetuates the cycle. Unless the vehicle is costing you more to drive it than it's worth (e.g., costly repair bills) and there is no end in sight, either keep it until you're no longer in the red, or have the money in the bank to pay off the remaining balance. The biggest problem in rolling over debt is that you are paying interest on that money for the duration of the loan, so what started out as $3K ends up being quite a bit more.
    Thank you for the info! I guess I'll stick with the tC, it is fun to drive (at least to me) and it gets 30mpg so I guess I can't complain, the wrx will have to wait

  12. #11
    Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rocky Top
    Posts
    2,272
    Or for next time, if you find that you like keeping your cars a short time and trading around, dont take out a loan on a brand new car lol. Just pay cash on something a few years older.

  13. #12
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,772
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you are well off in terms of money and you want a WRX instead of your tC then pay off your loan on the tC, sell it, and buy a WRX. We can sit here and tell you that it makes more financial sense to keep the tC and drive it into the ground, but clearly you want to hear someone say that you should buy a WRX. So I'll be that person

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Or for next time, if you find that you like keeping your cars a short time and trading around, dont take out a loan on a brand new car lol. Just pay cash on something a few years older.
    Yeah, live and learn I suppose.

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    If you are well off in terms of money and you want a WRX instead of your tC then pay off your loan on the tC, sell it, and buy a WRX. We can sit here and tell you that it makes more financial sense to keep the tC and drive it into the ground, but clearly you want to hear someone say that you should buy a WRX. So I'll be that person
    Haha no, just wanted opinions on what others would do. I'm no expert when it comes to buying cars as my tC is the first car I ever bought on my own.

  16. #15
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,772
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    Haha no, just wanted opinions on what others would do. I'm no expert when it comes to buying cars as my tC is the first car I ever bought on my own.
    Well in that case I would buy a black 2011 STi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •