Would you still buy a Wrx/Sti if... - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on Would you still buy a Wrx/Sti if... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 Newb. Saying someone has to be old in order to appreciate a car with less than ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Newb.

Saying someone has to be old in order to appreciate a car with less than WRX power just doesn't make any sense.
    I never said someone had to be "old" I said "old enough". I also never said I don't appreciate a car with less then wrx power either. Quit reading into things that aren't there.

I hope the number next to your name doesn't stand for your age.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    I never said someone had to be "old" I said "old enough". I also never said I don't appreciate a car with less then wrx power either. Quit reading into things that aren't there.

I hope the number next to your name doesn't stand for your age.
    Then say what you mean.

And what if it did?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Then say what you mean.

And what if it did?
    I did say what I mean good sir. Take a lesson in reading comprehension, it may do wonders for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm close to shutting this thread down, and I'm starting to see an argumentative pattern, here. Let's keep things friendly!

OP, you get excited a little too quickly. Learn to laugh at yourself a little bit, and it will earn respect with these folks. If you can't get along with Mikie, you just aren't trying!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    I may...for me its always what set it apart from the rest of the base impreza. If I did, i would wait until i could put a small turbo and intercooler in, just so i'd have it. I've seen NA cars go just as fast as a WRX though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    I may...for me its always what set it apart from the rest of the base impreza. If I did, i would wait until i could put a small turbo and intercooler in, just so i'd have it. I've seen NA cars go just as fast as a WRX though.
    As have I, depending on what type of car it is. I guess what I meant was if the car was still 265hp but not turbo would you buy it? idk, maybe some people just prefer turbo engines over na?

I suppose "fun" is subjective. If you guys have fun with your 80hp cars then that's cool. Guess I need to be older to "get it"
    Go to a halfway decent go-cart track with some of your buddies..race around for a few laps.. I don't care how old you are.. If your not smiling, there's something wrong with you. And those things have something like 10 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Go to a halfway decent go-cart track with some of your buddies..race around for a few laps.. I don't care how old you are.. If your not smiling, there's something wrong with you. And those things have something like 10 HP.
    Big difference between go-carts on a go-cart track and driving an actual car.

Why did you guys buy wrx and sti cars? For the joy of driving them right? Would you still enjoy that 305hp sti if it had 10hp? Chances point to no.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    maybe some people just prefer turbo engines over na?

Not likely.. like I already said, a turbo engine is far less reliable than a N/A engine by design. Plus N/A will almost always have snappier response. Power delivery on a N/A engine is much more predictable, which leads to much faster lap times when racing, etc.

One plus for the turbo charged engine in general is that they will normally respond better to mods as far as increasing power on a budget. It's hard to get an extra 50hp out of a N/A engine, when it's turbo charged counterpart may gain 50hp simply with a more aggressive tune.

Interestingly enough, here I am arguing the point of hp ≠ fun.. yet I have one of the most modified/most powerful Subarus on this site. Maybe I'm jaded at this point..

maybe some people just prefer turbo engines over na?

Not likely.. like I already said, a turbo engine is far less reliable than a N/A engine by design. Plus N/A will almost always have snappier response. Power delivery on a N/A engine is much more predictable, which leads to much faster lap times when racing, etc.

One plus for the turbo charged engine in general is that they will normally respond better to mods as far as increasing power on a budget. It's hard to get an extra 50hp out of a N/A engine, when it's turbo charged counterpart may gain 50hp simply with a more aggressive tune.

Interestingly enough, here I am arguing the point of hp ≠ fun.. yet I have one of the most modified/most powerful Subarus on this site. Maybe I'm jaded at this point..

I Support ClubWRX
    Less weight/better handling > more power. That is the reason these guys 80hp cars were lots of fun, and the reason the BRZ is the darling of the automotive press. Also you have to remember also that there was a time when average family cruisers didn't push close to 300hp out of the factory and 80hp was a very respectable number. I think a better comparison for this thread would have been: would you prefer a supercharged WRX over a Turbocharged one?
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I don't think I would have bought this car if it wasn't turbo'd. It was one thing I was looking into for a car. With it already being FI it already sets it self up for modding. Yeah you can mod a NA car but to really make a huge difference you're going to end up using a turbo or a supercharger anyway. Plus that pull when the turbo spools is so much fun!

As far as low HP cars that can be fun to drive my brother and I bought a 83 mustang gt and it's way slower than the wrx but my god ever time you drive it a smile automatically is put on your face. Wheel hop and all! The BRZ/FRS has to be the best example of a lower HP car being a blast to drive. I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet but you don't read many reviews of people not liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by speedtown View Post
    I don't think I would have bought this car if it wasn't turbo'd. It was one thing I was looking into for a car. With it already being FI it already sets it self up for modding. Yeah you can mod a NA car but to really make a huge difference you're going to end up using a turbo or a supercharger anyway. Plus that pull when the turbo spools is so much fun!

As far as low HP cars that can be fun to drive my brother and I bought a 83 mustang gt and it's way slower than the wrx but my god ever time you drive it a smile automatically is put on your face. Wheel hop and all! The BRZ/FRS has to be the best example of a lower HP car being a blast to drive. I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet but you don't read many reviews of people not liking it.
    Cool! The first part of your post is what I was looking for. Everyone thought I was speaking another language apparently

I will agree that some cars need power to be fun to drive. The WRX/STi is a good example. I feel that's because a WRX is a good all around car, but it can never really be great at anything. A WRX is never going to be great at handling, it's never going to be great at making power either. I think the best thing it has going for it is AWD.. and with the right mods it can be a decent handling car, and can potentially make decent power for a 2.5L.

Most of the cars people consider "fun" to drive are light weight well handling cars that provide the driver a lot of feedback. Can you imagine driving a r35 GTR with only 200hp? It would be exceedingly boring. But a Miata with 200hp is a blast to drive.

Not all cars need power to be fun.. if you think that you've obviously never watched Initial D.

Cool! The first part of your post is what I was looking for. Everyone thought I was speaking another language apparently
    Yeah I understood what you were asking from the get go, the thread really flew off in another direction! got some good discussions going at least.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567