Would you still buy a Wrx/Sti if... - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 105

This is a discussion on Would you still buy a Wrx/Sti if... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by smorris Apparently. you've never driven a car that requires you to participate in the driving. Here's my ...

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Apparently. you've never driven a car that requires you to participate in the driving. Here's my 78 no-fun car.



    My first six cars all had less than 100 HP. The HP of my first five cars combined had less HP than my WRX or Outback.


    Yea you did. You asked it we still would buy a WRX or STi if it didn't come with a turbo. A WRX or STi without a turbo is an Impreza. Your original question is flawed.

    Steve

    [Edit] Come to think of it, my Smart only has 78 HP, and it is a blast to drive. So thinking back, of all the cars I've ever owned in 45 years of driving, only the WRX and Outback had more than 100 HP.
    You don't need to try and convince me that a 78 HP car is "fun" to drive. Like I said, to each their own. You can dress it up all you want with shiny new paint and drop top but at the end of the day it's still 78hp. Glad you are having fun though.

    Just curious whats the 0-60 on that? 20 seconds?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #47
    Moderator smorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Avon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,123
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't know, probably around there. But driving it at 100 MPH is sure a lot more exciting than driving my WRX at 100 MPH!

    I'm assuming you are pretty young? 20 years ago, fairly expensive sports cars went 0-60 on 10+ seconds. Ever heard of the VW Scirocco? It was the fastest thing VW made, and was detuned here in the US, as in Europe it was faster than the Porsche 924 sold here. It had a 0-60 time of 10+ seconds, and a whopping 85 HP.

    We are trying to make the point that HP isn't the most important thing. Like I said, my cars were weak-assed power, but almost all a blast to drive.

    '29 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan 40 HP
    '31 Ford Model A Deluxe Couple 40 HP
    '58 MGA Roadster 68 HP
    '68 VW Beetle Cabriole 53 HP
    '69 Fiat 124 60 HP
    '69 Fiat 850 Spyder 37 HP
    '75 VW Scirocco 85 HP
    '84 Mitsubishi Mirage 64 HP
    '08 Smart Fortwo Cabrio 70 HP
    '83 Honda Accord (wife's) 80 HP
    Last edited by smorris; 11-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    .
    .
    .

    Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

  4. #48
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,734
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Don't know, probably around there. But driving it at 100 MPH is sure a lot more exciting than driving my WRX at 100 MPH!

    I'm assuming you are pretty young? 20 years ago, fairly expensive sports cars went 0-60 on 10+ seconds. Ever heard of the VW Scirocco? It was the fastest thing VW made, and was detuned here in the US, as in Europe it was faster than the Porsche 924 sold here. It had a 0-60 time of 10+ seconds, and a whopping 85 HP.

    We are trying to make the point that HP isn't the most important thing. Like I said, my cars were weak-assed power, but almost all a blast to drive.

    '29 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan 40 HP
    '31 Ford Model A Deluxe Couple 40 HP
    '68 VW Beetle Cabriole 53 HP
    '69 Fiat 124 60 HP
    '69 Fiat 850 Spyder 37 HP
    '75 VW Scirocco 85 HP
    '84 Mitsubishi Mirage 64 HP
    '08 Smart Fortwo Cabrio 70 HP
    '83 Honda Accord (wife's) 80 HP
    But you have to admit. Most people who buy a WRX or an STi and begin doing modifications such as stage 1, 2, 3 + are not in this mindset.

    I agree that these are all great/respectable/amazing (of their era) cars...But...In this day in age, they are not anything as far as "performance" compared to what we have today. I am not talking "driving experience," because one can argue that technology has degraded driving experience (errhmmm...Gt-R), But I think to throw these cars into a conversation that is obviously coming from a "HP" focused topic is a little like saying...Sure, a 1200 HP bugatti veyron is cool, but I get just as much enjoyment as I do driving my bicycle to work.

  5. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    But you have to admit. Most people who buy a WRX or an STi and begin doing modifications such as stage 1, 2, 3 + are not in this mindset.

    I agree that these are all great/respectable/amazing (of their era) cars...But...In this day in age, they are not anything as far as "performance" compared to what we have today. I am not talking "driving experience," because one can argue that technology has degraded driving experience (errhmmm...Gt-R), But I think to throw these cars into a conversation that is obviously coming from a "HP" focused topic is a little like saying...Sure, a 1200 HP bugatti veyron is cool, but I get just as much enjoyment as I do driving my bicycle to work.
    Thank you.

    I have no problems with older cars and I guess the "driving experience" would be cool, if I were to drive a ford roadster or something but if you wanna get your rocks off then you need hp and torque, at least for me

  6. #50
    Moderator smorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Avon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,123
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sure, but where are you going to use that HP and torque? Aside from autocross and track days, you can't use a fraction of what the STi or WRX can put out, let alone real powerhouse cars. There's an old saying that "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." I find it a lot more fun trying to drive with the finesse and momentum required to keep the MGA or Miata flowing through a set of curves than the easy to drive WRX. In raw numbers, my OBXT has more grunt than my WRX, but isn't as fun to drive. My wife's Benz has even more, but is boring as Hell to drive.

    I think it is *all* about the driving experience.

    Steve
    .
    .
    .

    Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

  7. #51
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,734
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Sure, but where are you going to use that HP and torque? Aside from autocross and track days, you can't use a fraction of what the STi or WRX can put out, let alone real powerhouse cars. There's an old saying that "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." I find it a lot more fun trying to drive with the finesse and momentum required to keep the MGA or Miata flowing through a set of curves than the easy to drive WRX. In raw numbers, my OBXT has more grunt than my WRX, but isn't as fun to drive. My wife's Benz has even more, but is boring as Hell to drive.

    I think it is *all* about the driving experience.

    Steve
    I am sure not disagreeing with you. I much prefer to drive my 105whp yamaha r6 over my ...WHP STi. Because driving experience.

  8. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Sure, but where are you going to use that HP and torque? Aside from autocross and track days, you can't use a fraction of what the STi or WRX can put out, let alone real powerhouse cars. There's an old saying that "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." I find it a lot more fun trying to drive with the finesse and momentum required to keep the MGA or Miata flowing through a set of curves than the easy to drive WRX. In raw numbers, my OBXT has more grunt than my WRX, but isn't as fun to drive. My wife's Benz has even more, but is boring as Hell to drive.

    I think it is *all* about the driving experience.

    Steve
    Sure, but where are you going to use that HP and torque?
    I have a 25 mile commute to work every day and it's pretty much all freeway, I'll usually cruise around 75-80mph or if I'm headed to Wendover to gamble then the speed limit out there is 75mph and it's literally 70 miles of nothing but a straight road so going 100mph isn't bad lol.

    And it's not like the WRX is a 2013 Shelby with 600HP and Torque, it's only rockin 265hp or something like that right? I agree with you about that old saying though lol

  9. #53
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,734
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with the old saying. But I also think it is more fun to drive a fast car fast than a slow car fast (the definition of fast is ever evolving)

  10. #54
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,275
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    Never crashed a car.
    Then may you never. In fact far be it from all.

    I'm with smorris on all this, in case I've not been clear.

    Anyway, interesting discussion.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  11. #55
    Moderator smorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Avon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,123
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I much prefer to drive my 105whp yamaha r6 over my ...WHP STi. Because driving experience.
    See we have even more in common. When I was still working, I much preferred riding my 12 HP Vespa on my daily commute to any of my cars!
    .
    .
    .

    Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

  12. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    See we have even more in common. When I was still working, I much preferred riding my 12 HP Vespa on my daily commute to any of my cars!
    With the way gas prices are I don't blame ya

  13. #57
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    861
    i have to agree with smorris as well. i drove a mg midget just a while ago and it was a huge blast. probably the single most reason im hooked into buying a lotus super seven for my 'fun/track' car and not going overboard on my wrx mods. the mg had like 62hp and id drive that thing all over the place! it wasnt neck breaking(or tilting lol)fast but something about the Sound of a classic euro-sports car like that is just great. ive had all manner of classic and modern v8 cars(and a 1969 chevy van with sidepipes) and to me i loved driving them all. why?? heck, they were mine! i drove my last car from 1995 till last year, poor camaro. oh, on that. my first scca meet in my camaro at 338hp dynoed? all in my class got our collective a%%es handed to us by a young lady in a 1977 mini cooper with few mods and a set of slightly wider tires. she kicked our butts bad. really bad. how much hp in a mini in 77?? lol

    whoops edit. the midget i drove had 59hp. it was 65 pound/feet of torque.
    Last edited by tirerob; 11-26-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

  14. #58
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,275
    I Support ClubWRX
    Let's be fair, a well prepped Mini with the 1,3 L Cooper and twins may have been making over 80 HP!... Heh...

    I think the old Rolls automotive division, for all their dreariness, did do something right: they'd simply publish HP as "adequate."

    Fun isn't readily quantifiable, and HP doesn't mean fun.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  15. #59
    Registered User tirerob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    bug-eyeing in the Bakken
    Posts
    861
    I knew she was cheating! Haha
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

  16. #60
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    2,734
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    See we have even more in common. When I was still working, I much preferred riding my 12 HP Vespa on my daily commute to any of my cars!
    Not to mention the gas mileage and parking convenience(but we are talking about fun)!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •