Would you still buy a Wrx/Sti if... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Would you still buy a Wrx/Sti if... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by MainFrame Personally, I would rather have the power instantly when I step on the gas instead of ...

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Personally, I would rather have the power instantly when I step on the gas instead of having to wait for a turbo to spool. Aside from the whole power delivery and performance aspect, turbo charged engines by nature are considerably less reliable than their N/A counter parts.

The advantage of a turbo is that you can effectively make more power with a smaller engine (by stuffing more air into it).. If you could make the same power, with the same engine (and similar fuel economy), without any of the drawbacks of forced induction.. well that would be great. There would be no reason for anyone to run a turbo, and the world would a wonderful place. But with the laws of physics being as they are, we have to settle with what we can get.
    Interesting, thanks for the info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Given the choice between an STi with a 2.5 turbo and a 2.5 N/A (i.e. the 2.5i), I would take the turbocharged STi. I drove a 2.5i for 5 years before I bought the STi and I enjoy the turbocharged engine much more.

I don't think this is what you are asking though. I think you are asking that would I rather have an equally powered N/A engine or a turbocharged engine. Given the choice, I would probably say the non-turbo, just due to the reliability and as has been mentioned, the quicker power delivery. However, I'm not ruling out the possibility that the N/A engine could eventually get a turbo charger to get MOARRRR POWWAAA.

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would get both.
    Need help diagnosing check engine codes? Just message me!

This thread still baffles me, but I'll play along.

While I agree with the reasons to have an equally powered NA car, I love the
    Turbo spool and the kick in the pants power burst. I'm not building a bracket racing car so
    I don't need everything all at once. The anticipation of boost is very enjoyable.

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    No.

Turbocharged over N/A unless like said above it had the same amount of power. Wouldn't you like to have the power there instantly instead of it come a couple seconds later. That being said if they offered a supercharged one i would probably pick that one because you get the instant power along with the amazing whine of the supercharger!
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Given the choice between an STi with a 2.5 turbo and a 2.5 N/A (i.e. the 2.5i), I would take the turbocharged STi. I drove a 2.5i for 5 years before I bought the STi and I enjoy the turbocharged engine much more.

I don't think this is what you are asking though. I think you are asking that would I rather have an equally powered N/A engine or a turbocharged engine. Given the choice, I would probably say the non-turbo, just due to the reliability and as has been mentioned, the quicker power delivery. However, I'm not ruling out the possibility that the N/A engine could eventually get a turbo charger to get MOARRRR POWWAAA.
    Yeah that's basically what I was asking. Aren't Subaru's engines reliable? Or do Subaru turbo engines have problems after say..100k miles?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    Yeah that's basically what I was asking. Aren't Subaru's engines reliable? Or do Subaru turbo engines have problems after say..100k miles?
    "96% of the Subarus built in the last 12 years are still on the road today." I'd say they are fairly reliable.
    Last edited by Drews; 11-26-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    "96% of the Subarus built in the last 2 years are still on the road today." I'd say they are fairly reliable.
    last 2 years? or do you mean last 20 years?

I would rather have a v8.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    last 2 years? or do you mean last 20 years?
    I meant 12. My Outback Sport has 234000 miles on it...still runs like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    "96% of the Subarus built in the last 12 years are still on the road today." I'd say they are fairly reliable.
    The asterisk for this statement should state "so long as idiot 17 and 18 year olds don't trash them with retarded mods and lack of research"
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by THutch View Post
    ^^ But it's also nice to have warranty on a factory turbo car.
    By the time the turbo needs to be replaced, the warranty will be LONG gone.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Given equal power, I'll take N/A and forego the turbo lag...

I Support ClubWRX
    What isn't there cannot fail.

Given equally low emissions, high fuel economy, and torque output, I'd chose an atmospherically aspirated motor.

The simpler design wins if the performance is equal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.