Proper Engine Break In ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Proper Engine Break In ? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I searched in the search box and didn't find this topic. ...

Proper Engine Break In ?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I searched in the search box and didn't find this topic. I'm sure I missed it so I apologize if I did.

I just picked up a 14 STI and am trying to find the proper break in method.

I just read two articles and they each had different opinions.

The first article said run it hard from 1-4th gear.

The other article said to take it easy and don't go over 4,000 rpm. This is pretty much what I've been doing.

I read once not to use cruise control.... I have no clue why. I've been using the cruise.

What are your thoughts ?

Sorry again if I missed this thread being posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You aren't supposed to keep it at a fixed speed for periods at a time and to vary your RPMs according to the manual keep it under 4,000RPM and you will be fine some say 1000 miles I know some who wait for 4,000 miles doing this.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would follow the procedures outlined in the owners manual

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    This has been discussed many times before....we have beaten the reincarnated horse to death as well....Many are of the opinion that you need to fallow the manual to the letter, others are not.

Now, I am not going to tell you what to do, it is your $25-35K investment, do as you see fit. I will just leave this article here for you to read, then make the choice for yourself.

How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    This has been discussed many times before....we have beaten the reincarnated horse to death as well....Many are of the opinion that you need to fallow the manual to the letter, others are not.

Now, I am not going to tell you what to do, it is your $25-35K investment, do as you see fit. I will just leave this article here for you to read, then make the choice for yourself.

Read that article! Lots of good information and you can decide for yourself what to do.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post

Yep that's the one I was talking about.

Wow I forgot the owners manual would have that info..... Oops

I Support ClubWRX
    Vary engine speed (RMP's). Don't use cruise. Don't go over 4K. (I personally like beating dead horses)

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Most people follow the method recommended by Subaru (easy on the throttle, keep it under 4k) with success.

Don't use cruise, or drive for extended periods at the same RPM, at least for the first 1000 miles. No matter which route you decide (easy or hard), both advise against keeping the engine at the same RPM for any extended period of time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Why not follow what's already written in the owner's manual?

The people that write articles haven't designed, built, or maintained hundreds of thousands of Subaru engines. The guys in the manual have.

Will the people that wrote the articles you read guarantee your engine for 5 years or 60 K miles? The guys that wrote the manual will.

I see no use in the opinions of websites. I'm being harsh, yes, but honest.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Though the "MotoMan" break-in concept does make sense in theory, an important thing he mentions is this approach has to be used within the first 20 miles of a car's inception.

Realistically, between dealer swaps of cars, test drives, etc, most people don't even get their "new" cars with less than 20 miles on them. So are all those people supposed to return their cars because their rings didn't "seal" properly? That's just plain stupid.

And the fortunate few who get their factory order with less than 10 miles on the ODO, are the only ones who will have the best engines (assuming they adhere to this MotoMan principle).

Not to mention, Subaru must have some method of "testing" or "breaking-in" the production engines before they are confident enough to release them with a car. Wouldn't this also chip away at the magical "20 miles" of grace period you have to hone the best engine possible?

I Support ClubWRX
    The key word is "magical." There are no reproducible, statistically significant data to support his statements.

Since there are no data, this isn't a rational discussion; it's a metaphysical issue. Those that have faith can go for it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The key word is "magical." There are no reproducible, statistically significant data to support his statements.

Since there are no data, this isn't a rational discussion; it's a metaphysical issue. Those that have faith can go for it.
    Don't forget the unicorn blood for the 20 mile oil change.

Everyone knows that's just a myth.. The only thing that really works is adding 1 mermaid tear per gallon to the fuel tank on the 3rd fill-up.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Why not follow what's already written in the owner's manual?

The people that write articles haven't designed, built, or maintained hundreds of thousands of Subaru engines. The guys in the manual have.

Will the people that wrote the articles you read guarantee your engine for 5 years or 60 K miles? The guys that wrote the manual will.

I see no use in the opinions of websites. I'm being harsh, yes, but honest.
    I forgot to check the owners manual.... I honestly didn't even stop to think that it might have that info in it.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I followed the manual....more or less.

I did not use any more than 5lbs of boost during the 1000 mile break in.

For the first 500 miles, I kept the loads light....and under 4000 RPM

500 - 750 - little more load....4500 RPM max
    750 - 1000 - less than 5 lbs boost, moderate loads, and 5000 RPM max

I just started progressivly increasing loads and RPMs as I put more miles on it.

Just my two cents
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.