Proper Engine Break In ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Proper Engine Break In ? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; About the manual: It's a really good read because there are actually things one ought to know about the car ...

I Support ClubWRX
    About the manual: It's a really good read because there are actually things one ought to know about the car that are crucial -- don't forget to familiarize yourself with how the car needs to be flatbedded, not towed, what to do if you have a flat and must get a new tyre (there is a maximum ΔΦ beyond which you must buy four rather than change just one, etc). 30 minutes could save a lot of money down the road.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    About the manual: It's a really good read because there are actually things one ought to know about the car that are crucial -- don't forget to familiarize yourself with how the car needs to be flatbedded, not towed, what to do if you have a flat and must get a new tyre (there is a maximum ΔΦ beyond which you must buy four rather than change just one, etc). 30 minutes could save a lot of money down the road.
    Thanks man.

I've read through a couple sections so far. The audio, driving tips, and the maintenance/engine break in part.

I didn't know it had hill start assist ! How cool is that !?

The manual cleared up some things too. I wasn't sure how to adjust the driving modes, but after reading now I understand what to keep it on. I am gonna keep it in Intelligent during break in. I think I'll probably leave it there most of the time after break in too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbolag11 View Post
    Thanks man.

I've read through a couple sections so far. The audio, driving tips, and the maintenance/engine break in part.

I didn't know it had hill start assist ! How cool is that !?

The manual cleared up some things too. I wasn't sure how to adjust the driving modes, but after reading now I understand what to keep it on. I am gonna keep it in Intelligent during break in. I think I'll probably leave it there most of the time after break in too.
    I drive in sport sharp all the time. I like the throttle response much better.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you were to leave it in "i" all the time instead, but you drove it as if you wanted it to behave "sport sharp" would the car eventually adapt do you think? I don't know if my question is clear, sorry.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If you were to leave it in "i" all the time instead, but you drove it as if you wanted it to behave "sport sharp" would the car eventually adapt do you think? I don't know if my question is clear, sorry.
    No because "I" mode limits the throttle response by design. It will always be less. That's how it gets better mileage.

I don't mean to threadjack, "do not drive for extended periods at the same RPM", exactly how long is this suppose to be? I'll be picking up my 14 WRX this weekend, but I need to drive it 120+ miles back to Sacramento for school.

Thanks for any answers

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kite991 View Post
    I don't mean to threadjack, "do not drive for extended periods at the same RPM", exactly how long is this suppose to be? I'll be picking up my 14 WRX this weekend, but I need to drive it 120+ miles back to Sacramento for school.

Thanks for any answers
    You'll be fine. Just don't drive 65 the whole time. Fluctuate from 60 to 75 range here and there. I had to do the same thing when I picked up my car.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You'll be fine. Just don't drive 65 the whole time. Fluctuate from 60 to 75 range here and there. I had to do the same thing when I picked up my car.

Awesome, thanks for the answer I've been worried for the past few months of whether or not it would be okay to take it 120 miles with me right when I get it

Quote Originally Posted by kite991 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the answer I've been worried for the past few months of whether or not it would be okay to take it 120 miles with me right when I get it
    I had to drive mine 230 miles. Fluctuated speed the whole time

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    No because "I" mode limits the throttle response by design. It will always be less. That's how it gets better mileage.
    Aha that makes sense thanks.

I've been going back and forth between 50, 55, and 60. Not using the cruise control anymore until around 1,000 miles.

Also, I've been shifting when the shift light comes on in Intelligent mode.

Sorry. Don't know why it double posted.

So when you do have to drive a long way. How long do you stay at one speed before you go from say 65-60-65-70?

Also can you use cruise for 15-20 miles and then adjust speed as needed?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    So when you do have to drive a long way. How long do you stay at one speed before you go from say 65-60-65-70?

Also can you use cruise for 15-20 miles and then adjust speed as needed?

When I break mine in I don't stay at one speed at all on long trips.. I will accelerate up to the speed limit, engine brake down 15mph, accelerate again (maybe up to 5-10psi), engine brake down again.. maybe down shift and do the same at a higher rpm for a while. Of course I'm sure that's over kill, but I enjoy it.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is not so much varying mph as it is varying rpm. Like Mainframe mentioned,lots of engine braking. Engine braking will allow for the highest engine vacuum.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast