cracked radiator, limp to a parts store.....

This is a discussion on cracked radiator, limp to a parts store..... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone , so after work on saturday decided to take the wrx for a little drive, (LONG WAY HOME), ...

cracked radiator, limp to a parts store.....

Hi everyone , so after work on saturday decided to take the wrx for a little drive, (LONG WAY HOME), as I was driving I started to smell coolant, I pulled over and sure it was a hair line crack on the top front part of the rad, I limp her to an Oreillis AP store, bought a plastic/aluminum repair kit, proceeded to remove the plastic intake piece , sanded the whole top part of the radiator, mask it,cleaned it with contact cleaner , and reinforced the whole top part, the kit also comes with a fiberglass mesh, installed the plastic part, added coolant , burped it as per manual , and has driven it almost 200 miles without an issue, should I be on a look for a new aluminumm rad? or should I wait a while, the fixed portion is solid!

German Silva

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Replace the radiator.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Any suggestions? all aluminum? thank you for your reply

As sd stated replace the radiator also probally want to replace the hoses as well as the clamps too... Plus don't drive the car till you get the work done otherwise your risking blowing the head gaskets and you can do lots of engine damage as well!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

i limp home, car is seating in my driveway with a car cover on, already order radiator, hoses and clamps, btw, it only lost like half a pint of coolant and temp gauge never moved..... My wife has a forester and I have a Range Rover classic also.....so no need to move the car, I also received a catless uppipe, that I will install at the same time that I will be replacing the radiator....

Thanks

German