Sti or Wrx?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sti or Wrx? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im looking into buying my first Impreza, but not sure if i should get an Sti or a Wrx. I ...

Sti or Wrx?

Im looking into buying my first Impreza, but not sure if i should get an Sti or a Wrx. I like the the look of the '11 hatch and performance isnt the biggest factor for me. Is it really worth the extra couple thousand for the Sti?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by theshakerduster View Post
    performance isnt the biggest factor for me.
    It doesn't sound like there's much of a question here, then. Why pay more for something you don't care about?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    Why pay more for something you don't care about?
    because STI.

I Support ClubWRX
    Basic breakdown...

WRX: A street vehicle that can be driven on a track
    STI: A track vehicle that can be driven on the street
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

i do care about performance. What i meant is that its not ALL i care about. But since starting in '11 they basically looked the same except for the badges, its not that much of a difference to have 40 less hp. So what i meant was that is that 40 hp, the 6 speed, and the suspension upgrades really worth it for a daily driver?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by theshakerduster View Post
    i do care about performance. What i meant is that its not ALL i care about. But since starting in '11 they basically looked the same except for the badges, its not that much of a difference to have 40 less hp. So what i meant was that is that 40 hp, the 6 speed, and the suspension upgrades really worth it for a daily driver?
    Depends on your financial situation and what you want. There is also the DCCD, the bigger brakes, the bigger wheels, the different interior as well.

If you got the money and you want the wing get the STI. STI and WRX is a performance car itself ... it depends what you want to do with it. You can mod a WRX like you would an STI. Like 11blackSTI said ... if you want those additions then go for it ... but you can always do that with a WRX as well by modding it yourself and really getting to know your car is big for me

The biggest real performance difference isn't going to be the power, it's going to be the transmission, suspension, and braking. If you aren't concerned with that... go for a WRX. If those matter to you, then it wouldn't be much of a choice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blee5192 View Post
    modding it yourself and really getting to know your car is big for me
    This is new...I have an STI so I don't know my car

Quote Originally Posted by blee5192 View Post
    If you got the money and you want the wing get the STI. STI and WRX is a performance car itself ... it depends what you want to do with it. You can mod a WRX like you would an STI. Like 11blackSTI said ... if you want those additions then go for it ... but you can always do that with a WRX as well by modding it yourself and really getting to know your car is big for me
    OP says in his opening post he likes the hatch, so the sedan wing doesn't factor. The STI and WRX have the same hatch body.

My friend was in the market for a DD. Between a WRX and STI, he couldn't justify paying almost 10K for the extra 40 HP, tighter suspension, and Brembos. For him, it wasn't worth it.

If you're not tracking the car, stick with the WRX and save some money.

That extra 40 Horsepower ain't there. Most dyno sheets show the regular WRX making similar numbers at the wheels so we can pretty much throw out the "extra 40 HP". The STI I drove had much better handling than my WRX. It had much less roll in the corners. The shifter was also better. My WRX actually felt like it had more power though and rode better. That wing however is pure sex IMO.
    Last edited by kritzell; 11-01-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    because STI.
    Your car is sick!!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    They make the same amount of power.. the main difference is that the transmission and differentials in the STi are much better. If you're just using the car to commute, then the WRX is fine.. if you want to beat on it, then I think it's worth it to pay for the six speed and DCCD.

I went for a WRX because I didn't feel like spending the money when I needed a new car back in August. But coming from an 05 STI and an 07 STI...I honestly wish I would have just ponied up for a newer STI.

I still like my WRX now, but I really do miss the certain aspects that came with the STI (braking, handling, that good bit more power, and most of all, the 6spd w/DCCD)
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast