Sti or Wrx? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Sti or Wrx? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Drive the cars. See what they will do, yes, but also pretend like you're on your day-to-day commute. The stiffer ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Drive the cars. See what they will do, yes, but also pretend like you're on your day-to-day commute. The stiffer STI suspension would suit me fine, because I like that kind of thing, but most people getting in my Prodrive-spring-equipped WRX think that it rides like a pig.

It's all wild guesses until you can get some seat time. No one here can tell you what your preferences are, or what fits your lifestyle and budget.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Drive the cars. See what they will do, yes, but also pretend like you're on your day-to-day commute. The stiffer STI suspension would suit me fine, because I like that kind of thing, but most people getting in my Prodrive-spring-equipped WRX think that it rides like a pig.

It's all wild guesses until you can get some seat time. No one here can tell you what your preferences are, or what fits your lifestyle and budget.

I had an '11 WRX and nine months later swapped it for an '11 STi. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, but I've found that the STi is more fun to drive.

...and I'm not going to lie to you, I LOVE the extra looks/stares from people that I've gotten after the swap. haha

This thread is pointless. Why do we continue to entertain these threads? There are hundreds if not thousands of threads and articles about this on the interwebs.

To the OP: A quick Google search would have found all the opinions you could want, including the opinions of many of those that have posted in this thread.

Then forums are pointless ...why have forums if people don't wanna answer a question or give an opinion if that's the case we should all just ask Google for answers and take them as facts because the internet doesn't lie .....I guess its a better feeling getting a more personal response than an auto generated one but what do I know

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I cant be the only one that is tired of seeing these threads or questions that are answered in the stickies, and I haven't been here that long. I use forums for entertainment in seeing new material not the same thread over and over and to solve a problem that is not easily solved after a search of the internet and forums, hence my low started thread count.

If you ask google I bet it will direct you to the numerous forums with this topic all ready gone over countless times...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by theshakerduster View Post
    Im looking into buying my first Impreza, but not sure if i should get an Sti or a Wrx. I like the the look of the '11 hatch and performance isnt the biggest factor for me. Is it really worth the extra couple thousand for the Sti?
    I think it depends on what direction, if any, you have for the car in the future.

For me, determining the base model was not a money issue - meaning that I could afford the price of the WRX or STI. However, I planned on modifying my car. There was a $10,000 price tag difference between the WRX and STI models I was considering. I sat down and looked at all the modifications that I was going to be making over the next couple years and realized that all the components that made the STI stand out from the WRX - I would be replacing. That is besides the STI badge, rear spoiler, 6-speed transmission, VDL and SI-Drive - which were not a deal breaker for me. I couldn't justify paying that much more for parts that I would be replacing anyways. Also, my car would be a daily driver for which I actually like the 5-speed transmission.

Where I am now (about 3/4 of my plan complete) my car will blow the doors off any stock STI and I haven't even spent close to $10,000 in my modifications. My good friend has a 2011 STI Limited with a stage 1 pro-tune and he hates driving with me because when we do pulls on the highway it's not even close. When comparing to an STI that has the same modifications as my WRX - we would run even (except in a 0-60 race where I would have the advantage of shifting less).

That was my thinking process and experience thus far. Hope it helps!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    I think it depends on what direction, if any, you have for the car in the future.

For me, determining the base model was not a money issue - meaning that I could afford the price of the WRX or STI. However, I planned on modifying my car. There was a $10,000 price tag difference between the WRX and STI models I was considering. I sat down and looked at all the modifications that I was going to be making over the next couple years and realized that all the components that made the STI stand out from the WRX - I would be replacing. That is besides the STI badge, rear spoiler, 6-speed transmission, VDL and SI-Drive - which were not a deal breaker for me. I couldn't justify paying that much more for parts that I would be replacing anyways. Also, my car would be a daily driver for which I actually like the 5-speed transmission.

Where I am now (about 3/4 of my plan complete) my car will blow the doors off any stock STI and I haven't even spent close to $10,000 in my modifications. My good friend has a 2011 STI Limited with a stage 1 pro-tune and he hates driving with me because when we do pulls on the highway it's not even close. When comparing to an STI that has the same modifications as my WRX - we would run even (except in a 0-60 race where I would have the advantage of shifting less).

That was my thinking process and experience thus far. Hope it helps!
    How come I have not seen you around...I live in South Portland!

Nah...let new members keep asking the same questions over and over. Everyone bickering about it keeps me entertained at work.

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

^ agreed. It's fun.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    How come I have not seen you around...I live in South Portland!
    I just moved up here in July from Providence, RI ... so I'm pretty new to the area. Also, I only work about 1.5 mi from home so I usually leave the WRX home under a car cover during the week. I've been excited to see such a WRX/STI prominence in the greater Portland area ... and to see most modified. Back in Providence, besides my friend (mentioned above) and myself - I rarely came across one.

I'll definitely keep my eye out for your car. Let me know if there are local meets around here.

My name is Jason and most friends call me "Frosty"

Hope to see you around!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Basic breakdown...

WRX: A street vehicle that can be driven on a track
    STI: A track vehicle that can be driven on the street
    Great explanation!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not bored of seeing them. The opinions change as the cars change. A thread about this in 2004 would've been different from 2006,2008,2009, and today.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    I just moved up here in July from Providence, RI ... so I'm pretty new to the area. Also, I only work about 1.5 mi from home so I usually leave the WRX home under a car cover during the week. I've been excited to see such a WRX/STI prominence in the greater Portland area ... and to see most modified. Back in Providence, besides my friend (mentioned above) and myself - I rarely came across one.

I'll definitely keep my eye out for your car. Let me know if there are local meets around here.

My name is Jason and most friends call me "Frosty"

Hope to see you around!
    Nice I'll keep an eye out for you too...Not too sure on the meets. Are you on mainelysubaru.com? I was but haven't been on in a while, I know there are some guys that meet up fairly regular on there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.