Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by dammit Heh... so, because you're in the 99.9th percentile, weight-wise, I'm an "arse". LOL... okay. For the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post
    Heh... so, because you're in the 99.9th percentile, weight-wise, I'm an "arse". LOL... okay. For the vast majority of us, learning to ride is way safer on something that has less of a chance of getting away from us. As we learn, we can handle more. I went 185, 440, 465 (dirt bike) 650 (turbo), 1000, etc. Had I gone directly to the Hurricane I'd have lasted a very short time. My State Patrolmen buddies have tons of stories about kids on sportbikes who've either killed themselves or come very close to it. Not as common with older adults, most who have ridden for a fair amount of time.

You're an edge case as is the moderator who commented negatively - generalization refers to the MAJORITY, not everyone so please keep your panties un-wadded.
    Yes, you are an arse. ANYONE learning to ride a bike needs to have a bike that fits them. It doesn't matter if you are 4'10" or 7'5", the bike must fit the rider. By making a generailized rule that all riders are required to start on the same size bike you are forcing exclusion of large parts of the country from being allowed to ever ride. That idea is as dumb as reuiring everyone to learn on a stretched, raked, and slammed chopper. I'm glad you fit in the middle of hight and weight and can fit your small sawed off frame on a 250cc to learn, not all of us can, and we should not be prevented from learning to ride because we are genetically bigger. **** you.

and as far as that 18 year old that bought a 'busa on a card.....he was striving for his darwin award to begin with. Who in their right mind buys a $15K bike on 20% interest? You have any idea what 18 year old with the worlds fastest production street bike would cost for insurrance? What high school kid could afford about $500 for the 'loan' and another about $2K for insurance?

I am not saying everyone should get X bike to learn on....Hell, I work with a kid that had a Triumph Daytona at 17...and wrecked in 2 weeks cause his uncle told him to take it on the highway. I am saying that if you required a specific size for all, it will not work.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Guys personal attacks are not allowed. Let's sleep on it. Tomorrow's another day.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

OK, time to put make-up and/or shave. do email. get some work done with phone calls. This is nuts!
    Explain how that's not dumbing down the driver...
    We have people hitting the gas when it should be the brakes. Had a girl killed when a woman ACCELERATED full tilt into a gas pump. Had another just 2 days ago drive into some restaurant, she at least admitted mixing up gas and brake. Most of them blame the car (Toyota... maybe it has something to so with the brand: if it's a Toyota we blame the car)
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Yes, you are an arse. ANYONE learning to ride a bike needs to have a bike that fits them. It doesn't matter if you are 4'10" or 7'5", the bike must fit the rider. By making a generailized rule that all riders are required to start on the same size bike you are forcing exclusion of large parts of the country from being allowed to ever ride. That idea is as dumb as reuiring everyone to learn on a stretched, raked, and slammed chopper. I'm glad you fit in the middle of hight and weight and can fit your small sawed off frame on a 250cc to learn, not all of us can, and we should not be prevented from learning to ride because we are genetically bigger. **** you.

and as far as that 18 year old that bought a 'busa on a card.....he was striving for his darwin award to begin with. Who in their right mind buys a $15K bike on 20% interest? You have any idea what 18 year old with the worlds fastest production street bike would cost for insurrance? What high school kid could afford about $500 for the 'loan' and another about $2K for insurance?

I am not saying everyone should get X bike to learn on....Hell, I work with a kid that had a Triumph Daytona at 17...and wrecked in 2 weeks cause his uncle told him to take it on the highway. I am saying that if you required a specific size for all, it will not work.
    Although I'm not impressed with your name-calling, I will say there's one thing I left out that I meant to include: age. Most problems I see are with younger riders. I'd modify this to say these rules apply to, say, 23 and under. That's not to say 24 year-olds can't be stupid - they can. It's just that there's recent data suggesting the male brain isn't done developing until about that age.

Your assertion that at 6'4", a person can't fit on a 125 or 250 is disingenous. Although I'm no 450 lbs, I'm a solid 275, also 6'4" and fit just fine. I wouldn't say it fits me but, then again, I make anything short of a Valkyrie look small. Were you 450 at 18? 19? 20? Further, how many 450 pounders ride? Can't say I've ever seen one. Post up a pic of you on your bike.

As for the 18 year old in my story, he paid 10K - this was the first year of the 'Busa, '98 I believe. Also, here in WA, insurance isn't required for bikes so long as you own it. Still the case. Guess you should do some research before you pop off about stuff you know nothing about. As for "striving for his darwin award", I could say the same thing about anyone who's 200 pounds overweight...

I Support ClubWRX
    Your assertion that at 6'4", a person can't fit on a 125 or 250 is disingenous. Although I'm no 450 lbs, I'm a solid 275, also 6'4" and fit just fine. I wouldn't say it fits me but, then again, I make anything short of a Valkyrie look small. Were you 450 at 18? 19? 20? Further, how many 450 pounders ride? Can't say I've ever seen one. Post up a pic of you on your bike.
    I did not mean that someone of my size couldn't ride a 125cc or 250cc, but that they would not fit properly or comfortably on the frame. At 18 I was about 6'3" and about 250lbs. There are a lot of bigger guys that ride. Maybe not in your area, but there are. I do not current have a bike, sadly, cause I can not afford one currently.

As for the 18 year old in my story, he paid 10K - this was the first year of the 'Busa, '98 I believe. Also, here in WA, insurance isn't required for bikes so long as you own it. Still the case. Guess you should do some research before you pop off about stuff you know nothing about. As for "striving for his darwin award", I could say the same thing about anyone who's 200 pounds overweight...
    Nice to know that WA doesn't require insurance for a 2 wheel death machine (as I have heard medics and ER docs call them) but they do for cars. That is kinda BS. I actually did research though...you did not state a time reference, so I had no way of knowing you were talking about 15 years ago. I was going by current prices and average interest on a 18 year old's credit card.

The fat insult is a low blow man. Yes, I am fat. I don't need you to point that out. As for '200 pounds overweight', that depends on how you are built. The general accepted guidelines state that for my height I should weigh no more than 205lbs, which is total BS. At 225 I look like skin and bones cause I have a large frame (wide shoulders and hips, etc.). Additionally, muscle weighs more than fat. If I was in good shape and lean I would still be over 300lbs. Most people I know don't think I weigh more than 350 to 375. And I am not striving for Darwin....I haven't had the time to keep thin. I am blessed with a slow metabolic rate. For me to keep thin I have to have a 80%+ vegetarian diet and a minimum of 60 minute workout 6 days a week, just to maintain, losing the weight takes more.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I am inclined to disagree with you only from my perspective...which is obviously completely different from your perspective....

Would I recommend a 16 year old who has never driven before go out and buy a 600cc race ready bike? Of course not...Which is also my feeling on a 16 year old who has never driven before going out and buying a WRX/STi. Why would I recommend this? They have no driving experience, hormones running through the roof, friends encouraging them to push it to the limits.

Would I recommend that someone who has 15 years of driving experience, has driven 5 vehicles in their life (like me) go out and buy a 600cc race bike, over a 250cc bike? Heck yes. You have the judgement of 15 years of driving experience. You don't have friends encouraging you to push the bike to the limit before you understand how to handle the power (and even if you do you probably have the maturity to shrug it off). You also understand how to hold back on the throttle and not use the max power every time you accelerate. You can grow on the 600cc bike and not have to replace it within a year.

I get where you're coming from re: experience, and I do agree to an extent. However with a caveat, o.k. lets say you have 15 years experience driving a car, but never a bike. I'd still recommend starting small, not saying you have to buy it. Bikes are a different beast, learn the basics. Our perspectives are different, I learned by pyramiding , both car and Bike. You learned differently and it worked out for both of us. We're still typing on this forum ...lol.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    The fat insult is a low blow man. Yes, I am fat. I don't need you to point that out. As for '200 pounds overweight', that depends on how you are built. The general accepted guidelines state that for my height I should weigh no more than 205lbs, which is total BS. At 225 I look like skin and bones cause I have a large frame (wide shoulders and hips, etc.). Additionally, muscle weighs more than fat. If I was in good shape and lean I would still be over 300lbs. Most people I know don't think I weigh more than 350 to 375. And I am not striving for Darwin....I haven't had the time to keep thin. I am blessed with a slow metabolic rate. For me to keep thin I have to have a 80%+ vegetarian diet and a minimum of 60 minute workout 6 days a week, just to maintain, losing the weight takes more.
    I didn't insult your weight. According to my trainer, my perfect weight is 256 so, at 275 I've got some to lose, too. The point I was trying to make is that for you to call someone out (and rightly so) for buying something over their head may not be appropriate given what you're seemingly doing to yourself. In my opinion, it also went a long way to proving my point.

Your calling me an "arse" and the "**** you" didn't make you many points in my book, either. Honestly, if that's all you've got please don't bother responding to my posts in the future given the whole "if you have to resort to name-calling and profanity, you must not have much of an argument", um... argument. You don't like my idea and I don't like your attitude. At this point I probably won't pay any attention to what I see you post.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    I get where you're coming from re: experience, and I do agree to an extent. However with a caveat, o.k. lets say you have 15 years experience driving a car, but never a bike. I'd still recommend starting small, not saying you have to buy it. Bikes are a different beast, learn the basics. Our perspectives are different, I learned by pyramiding , both car and Bike. You learned differently and it worked out for both of us. We're still typing on this forum ...lol.
    I'm sorry I just don't agree with you. My STi can be as slow as a toyota yaris if I want it to be. My r6 can be as slow as a moped if I want it to be. But they can be dangerously fast if pushed to the limits. That is what my point is. I have driven 250cc bikes and I don't think they are easier to drive. They feel exactly the same to me other than that they don't have much power.

Regardless, I think we have beat this to death, and I am also glad we are both still here typing/debating on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I'm sorry I just don't agree with you. My STi can be as slow as a toyota yaris if I want it to be. My r6 can be as slow as a moped if I want it to be. But they can be dangerously fast if pushed to the limits. That is what my point is. I have driven 250cc bikes and I don't think they are easier to drive. They feel exactly the same to me other than that they don't have much power.

Regardless, I think we have beat this to death, and I am also glad we are both still here typing/debating on this forum!
    Truth.

You can still get a small CC bike going pretty damn fast...you just can't get it to that speed as fast.

My first bike was a 900cc and I was perfectly fine on it at age 23. It's how you drive it. An idiot kid can wreck a Busa just as easily as a Honda Nighthawk 250.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Truth.

You can still get a small CC bike going pretty damn fast...you just can't get it to that speed as fast.

My first bike was a 900cc and I was perfectly fine on it at age 23. It's how you drive it. An idiot kid can wreck a Busa just as easily as a Honda Nighthawk 250.
    Agreed, bikes can be inherently dangerous no matter the CC: however, you did inadvertently validate my point. But I'm done, we could beat this one to death.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234