Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by wreckingball man I think technology is the least of our worries. I feel the problem of bad ...

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I think technology is the least of our worries. I feel the problem of bad drivers might run a little deeper than extraneous technology in automobiles.
    Absolutely agree with this. As an example, I've always thought that street bikes riders should be required to go through a graduated series of endorsements. 125 ccs for a year, < 501 ccs for another year, then maybe whatever after that. I'll never forget when I bought my Huyabusa. When I brought it in for a recall, the tech looked at the bike, looked at me and said "You're 6 of 11.". I didn't pay any attention. Later, when I brought it in for it's 600 mile service the same guy said "You're 3 of 11.". I asked what he meant and he said of the 11 they sold, only three made it back for the 600 mile service. One was an 18 year old kid who bought his using a credit card - it was his first road bike. He lasted 58 miles.

Car drivers should be vetted in the same manner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post
    Absolutely agree with this. As an example, I've always thought that street bikes riders should be required to go through a graduated series of endorsements. 125 ccs for a year, < 501 ccs for another year, then maybe whatever after that. I'll never forget when I bought my Huyabusa. When I brought it in for a recall, the tech looked at the bike, looked at me and said "You're 6 of 11.". I didn't pay any attention. Later, when I brought it in for it's 600 mile service the same guy said "You're 3 of 11.". I asked what he meant and he said of the 11 they sold, only three made it back for the 600 mile service. One was an 18 year old kid who bought his using a credit card - it was his first road bike. He lasted 58 miles.

Dude that brought back memories for me. I went from a 1970 hodaka ace 100, to 1972 250 enduro, and the leap to the 1980 Yamaha Midnight Special. "Great point" served me well, and vice versa for cars. Well said.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

The Yamaha was a 650
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Cripples them and make drivers way more distracted , bacuse the rely on the car to react for them..... gives them more time to put make up on, be on the cell phone more, and drive much less ....

OMOO

Cheers

German Silva

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm against many of the so-called 'technological advances' as I see most of them making people dumber and worse at driving.....but not all of them The best way for me to answer is to go through a few of them:

Automatic transmissions : should only be allowed to use one if you have a disability, like lissing a limb. 1 week in jail if caught breaking this rule.
    Automatic parking : kill the inventor and erase all evidence of existance
    Automatic braking : kill the inventor and erase all evidence of existance
    ABS : great. While most of us don't need ABS on a regular bassis, when you suddenly need to slam, sliding is no fun.
    Seat belts/air bags : Great
    Headlights that turn with the wheel : great
    SatNav : Great
    Touch screen only controls : slap anyone who wants them in a car

Interesting side note....headlights that turn with the wheel, you may think this is new voodoo, and that it came from Germany, from Porsche, BMW or Merc.....wrong. Adaptive headlights, as they are now called, were first offered on a Porsche in 2003.....however the first use of this tech was in 1948 by Tucker (US car maker way way ahead of his time). His cars also had seat belts, padded dashboards, break-away steering wheel and steering column, windshields that popped out in a crash, 4 wheel disc brakes, all wheel independent suspension, unibody construction mated to a frame shaped like a boat prow at both ends which provided rattle free construction along with a complete cage around the passengers with a frame that deflects collisions, standard roll cage built into the roof.....the list goes on and on.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    I'm against many of the so-called 'technological advances' as I see most of them making people dumber and worse at driving.....but not all of them The best way for me to answer is to go through a few of them:

Automatic transmissions : should only be allowed to use one if you have a disability, like lissing a limb. 1 week in jail if caught breaking this rule.
    Automatic parking : kill the inventor and erase all evidence of existance
    Automatic braking : kill the inventor and erase all evidence of existance
    ABS : great. While most of us don't need ABS on a regular bassis, when you suddenly need to slam, sliding is no fun.
    Seat belts/air bags : Great
    Headlights that turn with the wheel : great
    SatNav : Great
    Touch screen only controls : slap anyone who wants them in a car

Interesting side note....headlights that turn with the wheel, you may think this is new voodoo, and that it came from Germany, from Porsche, BMW or Merc.....wrong. Adaptive headlights, as they are now called, were first offered on a Porsche in 2003.....however the first use of this tech was in 1948 by Tucker (US car maker way way ahead of his time). His cars also had seat belts, padded dashboards, break-away steering wheel and steering column, windshields that popped out in a crash, 4 wheel disc brakes, all wheel independent suspension, unibody construction mated to a frame shaped like a boat prow at both ends which provided rattle free construction along with a complete cage around the passengers with a frame that deflects collisions, standard roll cage built into the roof.....the list goes on and on.
    Have to agree with your assessments on that list. Hill assist count in that auto braking?

Interesting about that Tucker vehicle. I'll have to go about reading up on that thing, sounds like it was ahead of it's time, way ahead.

Thoughts on that system some company was introducing that buzzed the wheel if you weren't paying attention to the road?
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Thoughts on that system some company was introducing that buzzed the wheel if you weren't paying attention to the road?
    Instead of the wheels buzzing the car should automatically pull over, the wheels should disable, and then 4 large arms should come out of the ceiling and beat the driver relentlessly.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

I started on a 1200cc and I am OK. Don't generalize: I ride responsibly.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

you're an arse. That would be a great idea if we all learned to ride at 8 years old on our family farm and never went on the road till we were 16. If you live in a city where there is lots of traffic, and 1000's of bad drivers you would not want to be on a 125cc on the road cause you would not be able to get out of the way....ever. And what about someone like me, 33 years old, 6'4", about 450lbs....you want me to learn and ride on a 125cc for a year? "hey everyone, look at the giant on the pocket bike".

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Have to agree with your assessments on that list. Hill assist count in that auto braking?

Interesting about that Tucker vehicle. I'll have to go about reading up on that thing, sounds like it was ahead of it's time, way ahead.

Hill assist, as it currently exists, should not be in a car. It is a good idea, but it should be a system that will allow the car to roll forward with no interference, but not roll back without being in reverse....and you should be able to turn it off.

The device that buzzes to let you know you are drifting out of your lane is a good thing as it helps keep you alert. However, if it happens more than once the car should go into limp mode, with loud blaring sirens and flashing lights till the driver pulls over and turns the car off for at least 4 hours. That will give them time to be towed to safety, or sleep. and the lights would warn other drivers that there is a moving sleeper.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    edit
    Last edited by dammit; 11-05-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm glad it worked for you. It doesn't for most in the situation you (and I) described.

Since you say I'm generalizing you must believe the above statement is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    you're an arse. That would be a great idea if we all learned to ride at 8 years old on our family farm and never went on the road till we were 16. If you live in a city where there is lots of traffic, and 1000's of bad drivers you would not want to be on a 125cc on the road cause you would not be able to get out of the way....ever. And what about someone like me, 33 years old, 6'4", about 450lbs....you want me to learn and ride on a 125cc for a year? "hey everyone, look at the giant on the pocket bike".
    Heh... so, because you're in the 99.9th percentile, weight-wise, I'm an "arse". LOL... okay. For the vast majority of us, learning to ride is way safer on something that has less of a chance of getting away from us. As we learn, we can handle more. I went 185, 440, 465 (dirt bike) 650 (turbo), 1000, etc. Had I gone directly to the Hurricane I'd have lasted a very short time. My State Patrolmen buddies have tons of stories about kids on sportbikes who've either killed themselves or come very close to it. Not as common with older adults, most who have ridden for a fair amount of time.

You're an edge case as is the moderator who commented negatively - generalization refers to the MAJORITY, not everyone so please keep your panties un-wadded.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heh... so, because you're in the 99.9th percentile, weight-wise, I'm an "arse". LOL... okay. For the vast majority of us, learning to ride is way safer on something that has less of a chance of getting away from us. As we learn, we can handle more. I went 185, 440, 465 (dirt bike) 650 (turbo), 1000, etc. Had I gone directly to the Hurricane I'd have lasted a very short time. My State Patrolmen buddies have tons of stories about kids on sportbikes who've either killed themselves or come very close to it. Not as common with older adults, most who have ridden for a fair amount of time.

You're an edge case as is the moderator who commented negatively - generalization refers to the MAJORITY, not everyone so please keep your panties un-wadded.
    My first bike was a yamaha r6. I got a lot of people telling me to start on something smaller. I'm glad I didn't because I would have wanted to replace the smaller bike after two weeks. I can zip out of the way of traffic and merge very safely on this bike because of the power. I would not feel safe getting on the interstates around where I live on an underpowered bike. I believe that people just have to exercise control of themselves rather than their bikes. An idiot kid could kill himself just as easy on a Kawa 250 as they could on a yama 600. When you drive a bike in open traffic the amount of power that you have at hand is not the biggest risk to your safety (in my opinion). And as far as weight goes, all sport bikes are lighter than the majority of larger cruiser bikes, which a lot of people start out on.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 11-06-2013 at 04:00 AM.

I'm still inclined to agree with dammit .. dammit. There's a reason that motorcycle training/safety classes use 250cc bikes. They're more forgiving. Do you want your sons/daughters to pickup and ride a 650cc+ first time ??? I wouldn't. And isn't the advice on this forum to work your way up the ladder and get driving experience before tackling a REX.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    I'm still inclined to agree with dammit .. dammit. There's a reason that motorcycle training/safety classes use 250cc bikes. They're more forgiving. Do you want your sons/daughters to pickup and ride a 650cc+ first time ??? I wouldn't. And isn't the advice on this forum to work your way up the ladder and get driving experience before tackling a REX.
    I am inclined to disagree with you only from my perspective...which is obviously completely different from your perspective....

Would I recommend a 16 year old who has never driven before go out and buy a 600cc race ready bike? Of course not...Which is also my feeling on a 16 year old who has never driven before going out and buying a WRX/STi. Why would I recommend this? They have no driving experience, hormones running through the roof, friends encouraging them to push it to the limits.

Would I recommend that someone who has 15 years of driving experience, has driven 5 vehicles in their life (like me) go out and buy a 600cc race bike, over a 250cc bike? Heck yes. You have the judgement of 15 years of driving experience. You don't have friends encouraging you to push the bike to the limit before you understand how to handle the power (and even if you do you probably have the maturity to shrug it off). You also understand how to hold back on the throttle and not use the max power every time you accelerate. You can grow on the 600cc bike and not have to replace it within a year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.