Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As I mentioned in the auto-lock thread...some technology is nice. Some of it is downright scary though. I drive a ...

As I mentioned in the auto-lock thread...some technology is nice. Some of it is downright scary though.

I drive a car to get from point A to point B, enjoyably. I want to control my car. I don't want it controlling me. We live in a society today where people just don't pay attention to what is important. Driving being one of them. So many soccer moms yap away on their phones and text without paying attention, it's a daily hazard. Last thing I think we need is a car that will stop for you if are coming up on something or a car that can parallel park for you. Or a car that steers back out of the way if you change lanes into someone's path...or whatever. All of this is going to continue to happen, yes with the goal of saving lives...and they very well may save some lives and accidents.

But people are going to become content with it and get used to this tech. And because of that, even less attention is going to be paid to actually driving and minding your surroundings. That could lead to even MORE incidents in the future. This scares me a lot.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post
    for mentioning a very true statement about "politics" because of forum rules.
    In case you have not realized, half the country may agree with your statement, while the other half of the country likely will not. There is no "truth" in politics. You have already been warned via PM. Any further offense, whether it be political references or unwarranted attacks on members will not be tolerated.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I don't think we can completely discount these technological advances. I bought a WRX because I want to drive, but for a lot of people, a car is a vehicle to get you from point A to point B. The road is shared with driver enthusiasts and soccer moms. I would appreciate if that soccer mom DID stop before rear ending me. Do I need that feature on my car? I would prefer no. But it's not that bad.

It would be the same doctrinal difference that Airbus vs Boeing planes have. Airbus planes have built in collision avoidance. Boeing planes do not. There will always be arguments for and against :/

I like the little conveniences of technology. Having powered seats that adjust for me and a side mirror that turns down so I can see the curb when I go in reverse is very useful. Ventilated seats that prevent the swamp that develops around my junk in the summer months is worth it's weight in gold. Adaptive headlights that make night time visibility better is safer for drivers and furry critters alike. However, i can see most of this other tech promoting laziness and less driver awareness and it will only hurt us in the future. I think car tech should be there to make us safer and more comfortable, not lull us into a false sense of security.

I Support ClubWRX
    The ad hominem attacks, not to mention the passing reference made to... eugenics, could indicate that drivers may not be entirely ready for tech.

In the 80s the automatic Cadillac was something of a fashion statement among F1 drivers. They generally could drive well (!) but chose a barge with an auto box and bells and whistles as personal transport.

I don't see the car as an extension of my personality or a reflection of my skill set. I own four cars and would own none if there were public transport that met my needs. I'd rather not drive. Automation makes cars appliances but that's what they ought to be at this point.

The biggest anachronism is the internal combustion engine. Once we are free of that things will be better in the car I'd think.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There are lots of other great technological advances in cars that are being brushed over in this talk of cameras and stability control: materials, for instance, provide me with a constant interest. For instance, any advances which allow for reduced weight (like aluminum engine blocks) and increased lifespan (corrosion protection) provide a subtle but great benefit to me. I would prefer a much lighter car, though, so that the car's inertia felt reduced.

(I presume) catalyst materials have helped reduce exhaust stink too.

On the electronics front, better sensors and integration of these sensors with the car's ignition and fueling control have likely led to the development of direct injection and variable valve timing. Also, modelling of heat and gas flow can allow for better engine and exhaust design to improve the effectiveness of the system. I think that automotive tech is great!
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I don't know that he was directing his comments toward you specifically. I think he was more just making statements about the subject.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    There are lots of other great technological advances in cars that are being brushed over in this talk of cameras and stability control: materials, for instance, provide me with a constant interest. For instance, any advances which allow for reduced weight (like aluminum engine blocks) and increased lifespan (corrosion protection) provide a subtle but great benefit to me. I would prefer a much lighter car, though, so that the car's inertia felt reduced.

(I presume) catalyst materials have helped reduce exhaust stink too.

On the electronics front, better sensors and integration of these sensors with the car's ignition and fueling control have likely led to the development of direct injection and variable valve timing. Also, modelling of heat and gas flow can allow for better engine and exhaust design to improve the effectiveness of the system. I think that automotive tech is great!
    I think materials have come a really long way, it's amazing how things are built now. OTOH some things just never came about; it's not just the Jetsons-style flying cars that people 50 years ago thought we'd all have now, it's things like ceramic engines that people 20 years ago thought we'd have now -- that we generally don't.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Baby-steps will lead to a bright(er) future. Eventually. Currently it's the digital tech, developing since the early 80's that's driving everything. And that development has been accelerating. Sure, with tech the IC engine has gotten more efficient, but the really new stuff is still eluding us.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not black and white on this issue. (Ban for racism!)
    As long as I have a car that is fun to drive, I'm good. As for tech...well, I'm an engineer, so it mostly just fascinates me. My WRX is cable-throttle, dumb-AWD fun, and I'm good with that. I sure like that it has cruise, though. The BRZ has the proximity key thing..and I love it. Never get my key out of my pocket. Works for me. I also am enjoying the heated seats, bluetooth, etc.

It has VSC and TC, and I mostly disable it every time I start it up, because I like the feel of the car better with it off...BUT...when the roads are wet, I leave it on, because the crap actually works, and it's a RWD car. I can go ahead and take the corner fairly quickly, and have some confidence that I'm not going to wind up in a ditch.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Our rental Ford Explorer on Maui had a backup camera and proximity key, both of which were great to use. I can live without the prox key, but I'm looking into a backup camera for the Outback. It was so easy to reverse into narrow parking spaces with the sensors and grid lines.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

The more tech the better.

I had a C6 Z06 that had something like 5 levels of traction control and, believe me, that sucker needed it. It also had heads-up display. If it's good enough for fighter pilots, it's good enough for me!

My '03 S600 Benz w/ a twin-turbo V-12 had more tech than you can imagine. Loved everything about the tech in that car except what it cost to fix it. Constantly. For those yelling about "tractor-beam" cruise control, have you ever had it? I don't think it makes a lot of sense in Seattle but, where I live, it's a dream. Wish I had it again.

Anti-lock brakes. I don't get the point on road bikes (is it possible to lay a bike down w/ anti-lock?) but it's a great thing on every other street vehicle.

I'm all over airbags as well. Why wouldn't you be?

I've always been good at parallel parking but I really hate waiting for people who aren't. Any tech aid that makes them hurry their butts up is aces with me.

Rear view cameras are another boon. I'd love to hear a negative on this one.

Headlights that adjust for corners. Beautiful!

Infrared for objects in the road. Hit a deer at 80 then tell me this isn't 'da BOMB'.

Stability control. Although most in this forum want to act like they're Ken Block clones, the VAST majority aren't and can get easily themselves into trouble with the current HP levels offered. Why is it bad to have electronic nannies to rein those folks in, especially if they're on the same road as you or someone you care about? The rest of your driving studs will know your rides well enough to turn that stuff down or off.

I could go on...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The less tech the better. Give me a true driver's car.

I want fully mechanical differentials, sans stability control.

Give me a manual differential locker like Group-A Rally cars.

Give me hydraulic steering.

Don't give me ABS.

Don't give me TCS.

I'm sure Google can build a car that will beat Sebastian Vettel around Suzuka, but I'm not interested.

I'm not arguing with you; I'm glad the electronic nannies exist for everyone else, but I prefer the minimalist approach between me and the tarmac...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I think there's a place for both. But I wax Nostalgic. Jump in my 74 260z, NO power steering, power windows, keyless entry, abs ..the prominent safety feature is seatbelts ... lol. Tuning is the needles, and the chokes on your carbs...primitive, but a blast to drive ..great driver feedback
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Without reading hardly anyone else's posts...It's time to interject my opinion. Ehem...I think technological advances in cars is great. Cars are lighter, faster, more efficient, more powerful, safer, and longer lasting than ever. This means great advances in design, engineering, materials, etc etc. and cars have come a very long way.

Yes, there are annoying gizmos and useless gadgets. I personally hate gadgets and junk. All I need is a radio and climate control knobs...and the proximity key is convenient, I really like those. But most gizmos I can do without.

Yes there is TC and ABS; and the newest incarnation of this technology is brake assist, auto parking, and anti-collision avoidance. But let's look at it in a selfish manor. If all these "driving enhancements" keep *someone *else from running into *me, then I'm perfectly fine with it....As long as I can buy a car without it, or turn it off in my own car.

I think technology is the least of our worries. I feel the problem of bad drivers might run a little deeper than extraneous technology in automobiles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast