Any way of setting auto locking doors on 13' WRX?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any way of setting auto locking doors on 13' WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey forum, I noticed that my 13' WRX does not have auto locking doors when you reach a certain speed ...

Any way of setting auto locking doors on 13' WRX?

Hey forum,

I noticed that my 13' WRX does not have auto locking doors when you reach a certain speed (common speed of 10 mph). Is there any way of setting auto-locking doors on the 13' models? I live in Riverside, CA and I always have to lock my doors there so it will be really life saving if there is a way to do so and not get my ass robbed at a stop light.

Thanks forum!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

According to my local dealer, no. It was one of the first things I asked about when I took my '12 in for its first service (along with wanting less assistance to the ultra-light steering). They don't lock when you start driving, they don't unlock when you switch the ignition off. Drives me frickin' mad. A year later and I still pull the handle to get out and find I'm locked in. Apparently it used to be a feature on the older models that the dealer could enable. I have no idea why they stopped doing it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't know that there were people out there that like this kind of thing. I guess it's all what you're accustomed to.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

My $14k Mexican made Jetta had auto locking doors. I was really surprised when I learned my $30k WRX didn't. I know the price tag has little to do with it but it seems like a no brainer - I'd trade hill assist for auto locking doors in an instant.
    Not so much anymore.

If you're really worried about it...press that little button on the door with the Lock emblem on it...Why does everything have to be automatic? Is it just convenience?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yep, purely convenience, but it's what you get used to. Of course there was a downside too. The passenger side door auto locked as well and the pin would get stuck in the down position. In a MKIV Jetta, that means flush with the door so you can't manually pull it up either. The auto unlock didn't have enough 'push' so I had to reach over and open the door anytime a passenger was getting in...annoying as hell, and not convenient at all
    Not so much anymore.

Despite the fact that my wife's Civic has autolocking doors, I just got used to the fact that they don't auto lock. Just like I got used to the hill assist...it's not a big deal.

yeah I would agree with you guys about having it because of convenience but some people live in different neighborhoods where it can be glamorous or **** ... the people who in **** or go in areas like that need that type of security. I know it sounds like the smallest thing in the world ... but it may save a life or more. I believe all standards in car manufacturing should be power windows and automatic power lock doors with an alarm system ... that should be standard nowadays if we have effing Teslas ...

The hill assist doesn't bother me too much because i've gotten use to it but I totally agree with degobah77 and would trade it for auto locking feature.

I don't see how when you drive into a bad neighborhood, that looking down and pressing the button to manually lock doors is any different than auto-lock when you drive.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Which is exactly what I have to do now when driving through this city...so annoying! :P I'm glad this is a "driver's" car, I can't stand all the new gimmicks that do nothing but take away from what you're supposed to be actually focused on;

What is up with these seat belts, why don't they auto fasten? And why doesn't my car seek out spots and parallel park itself, and why doesn't it tell me when there are infants crawling around behind me, and why doesn't it detect the speed of cars in front of me and automatically brake when they slow down?? Why do I have to drive this thing at all? How come that person just hit me?!?! Why do I have scrapes and dents all over my car? Why isn't my car dialing my best friend so I can yap on the phone going 45mph in a minivan in the left lane?!?! Why are people honking at and me and flashing their high beams??? Oh, I'm sexy (or I'm a badass, not trying to be sexist here), that's why...WINK WINK WAVE SMILE.......CRASH!
    Last edited by degobah77; 10-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    Not so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I don't see how when you drive into a bad neighborhood, that looking down and pressing the button to manually lock doors is any different than auto-lock when you drive.
    Well bad neighborhood or not people's car get stole bing everywhere around the world. What if you have company in your car and forgot to lock it? That is just one examples of hundreds

Because if they automatically lock, you can't forget to do it. It's just safer. I lock my doors wherever I go. I don't want to get car jacked. Back in the mid-nineties, when BMW started putting their SMG gearbox in the M3, my friend's Dad managed to upset someone with his driving. The other driver was so angry, he blocked my friend's Dad who, probably in a panic, wasn't able to find reverse quickly enough. The other driver jumped out of his car, opened the door to the M3 and started beating my friend's Dad all around the face and head. Nice.

From my second car onwards, I've had alarm systems fitted that also controlled the door locks. At the same time, I sold cars for 4 years and every company car I had locked the doors for you, either after a certain amount of time or over a certain speed. So I grew very accustomed to this feature. To buy a new car these days which has central locking but doesn't lock them when you start driving for safety, or unlock them for convenience when you switch the ignition off is pretty frustrating, to me.

As for hill assist, WTH? That's what the handbrake is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Because if they automatically lock, you can't forget to do it. It's just safer. I lock my doors wherever I go. I don't want to get car jacked. Back in the mid-nineties, when BMW started putting their SMG gearbox in the M3, my friend's Dad managed to upset someone with his driving. The other driver was so angry, he blocked my friend's Dad who, probably in a panic, wasn't able to find reverse quickly enough. The other driver jumped out of his car, opened the door to the M3 and started beating my friend's Dad all around the face and head. Nice.

From my second car onwards, I've had alarm systems fitted that also controlled the door locks. At the same time, I sold cars for 4 years and every company car I had locked the doors for you, either after a certain amount of time or over a certain speed. So I grew very accustomed to this feature. To buy a new car these days which has central locking but doesn't lock them when you start driving for safety, or unlock them for convenience when you switch the ignition off is pretty frustrating, to me.

As for hill assist, WTH? That's what the handbrake is for.
    That's a better answer I suppose. Makes more sense to me now...but I dunno...I'm just stubborn and feel like the world is going towards too much automation. Like the parallel parking assist crap? And cars that brake for you now? I feel like people are going to become so numb to driving that more problems are going to arise than it will fix in the long run.

I feel like people are going to become so numb to driving that more problems are going to arise than it will fix in the long run.
    This +1000
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Both my gf and I are "drivers", as in we like to drive and when we do, that's the only thing we do. We're aware of our surroundings, constantly checking mirrors, watching and anticipating traffic behavior, looking a mile ahead, not just right in front of you, accelerating through turns when we can, etc. I'd call my style aggressively defensive with a lot of spirit. I'd call hers (Mustang), well, pretty much the same now that I think about it.

All the automated stuff really turns me off and explains why people are so dangerous on the roads these days. They're not driving anymore, they're in auto pilot. Some people want that in the end. Not me.

Reminiscent edit: one of my first relationships when I was driving a 1990 Isuzu Trooper, mind you, I remember her saying, "driving with you is so much fun". haha
    Last edited by degobah77; 10-30-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Not so much anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast