Any way of setting auto locking doors on 13' WRX? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any way of setting auto locking doors on 13' WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 That's a better answer I suppose. Makes more sense to me now...but I dunno...I'm just stubborn ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That's a better answer I suppose. Makes more sense to me now...but I dunno...I'm just stubborn and feel like the world is going towards too much automation. Like the parallel parking assist crap? And cars that brake for you now? I feel like people are going to become so numb to driving that more problems are going to arise than it will fix in the long run.
    As far as technology goes with driver aids, I agree with you. I think technology that takes away the burden of being a good driver, paying attention 100% of the time and being able to park your own car is a step in the wrong direction. To me, it's encouraging irresponsibility and suggesting that if you can't control your own car, that's ok. Hell no, if you can't park your car, you shouldn't be driving it! But, on the other hand, if you take something like lane assist, if it's going to save my life because another driver is falling asleep, then hell yeah I want it on their car! I think it's just a sad inevitability that cars will become more automated because the majority of drivers are not like us. They're not passionate about the journey, they just want to arrive at their destination alive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I totally agree with ANY driving assistance on any cars. But automatic doors aren't gonna take over your driving skills, just solely safety and convenience. As years goes by, technology makes cars feel more comfortable at higher speeds and pretty much self drives and when acquiring those speeds, IMO 85% of drivers do not know what to do when there is a problem ahead or know how to handle situations at higher speeds.

I will never trust my car auto-braking, self parking, or whatever crap thats automated. It takes the feel away from drivers and cripples their ability as 'drivers' to adapt and learn.

I opened a new decision topic here:
    Your thoughts on technological advances on vehicles

But if we had auto locking doors, these racist zombies couldn't be racist!!

Key & Peele: Suburban Zombies - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Because if they automatically lock, you can't forget to do it. It's just safer. I lock my doors wherever I go. I don't want to get car jacked. Back in the mid-nineties, when BMW started putting their SMG gearbox in the M3, my friend's Dad managed to upset someone with his driving. The other driver was so angry, he blocked my friend's Dad who, probably in a panic, wasn't able to find reverse quickly enough. The other driver jumped out of his car, opened the door to the M3 and started beating my friend's Dad all around the face and head. Nice.

From my second car onwards, I've had alarm systems fitted that also controlled the door locks. At the same time, I sold cars for 4 years and every company car I had locked the doors for you, either after a certain amount of time or over a certain speed. So I grew very accustomed to this feature. To buy a new car these days which has central locking but doesn't lock them when you start driving for safety, or unlock them for convenience when you switch the ignition off is pretty frustrating, to me.

As for hill assist, WTH? That's what the handbrake is for.
    Concealed carry permit. No car is worth a person's life.... But no stranger's life is worth more than my family's.

Quote Originally Posted by Docc99 View Post
    Concealed carry permit. No car is worth a person's life.... But no stranger's life is worth more than my family's.
    Yes, because dealing with the aftermath of shooting someone is less hassle than locking your doors. Okay.

Yes, because dealing with the aftermath of shooting someone is less hassle than locking your doors. Okay.
    You're right. It's the door locks, which are automatic if we are talking about an E46, that prevented your friend's dad from receiving his beating

Quote Originally Posted by Docc99 View Post
    You're right. It's the door locks, which are automatic if we are talking about an E46, that prevented your friend's dad from receiving his beating
    We're not talking about an E46.

Setting the CCW argument aside for a moment, tell the guy in the Range Rover who got assaulted after bikers in Manhattan smashed in his window and dragged him out that door locks saved him...cause they didn't. If someone wants in your car badly, they'll find a way.
    Last edited by JimboWRX; 11-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    An Arduino controller with GPS shield, a couple of relays, and I'll bet I could get it working in my car.

'cept I still don't want it. I dunno; I keep track of my environment, and react accordingly. Point taken about the convenience, though...the intersection of forgetfulness and carjacker probably wouldn't be a good thing for me.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Setting the CCW argument aside for a moment, tell the guy in the Range Rover who got assaulted after bikers in Long Island smashed in his window and dragged him out that door locks saved him...cause they didn't. If someone wants in your car badly, they'll find a way.
    Oh, sure. But if you're gonna' have that attitude, why even have door locks on your car at all? If someone wants your car badly enough, they're going to steal it whether you're in it or not. The whole point is that it's a deterrent and might buy you some time. If someone approaches your car while you're sitting at a red light, expecting to be able to open your door and pull you out, it might just give you enough time to get away.

I know the Range Rover incident you're referring to and, thankfully, that's not common. It also wasn't a car jacking; those guys were in a complete rage. Someone who wants to steal your car is not going to risk the exposure of it taking that amount of time. If it's not quick and easy, they'll hopefully leave in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Setting the CCW argument aside for a moment, tell the guy in the Range Rover who got assaulted after bikers in Long Island smashed in his window and dragged him out that door locks saved him...cause they didn't. If someone wants in your car badly, they'll find a way.
    That happened on Manhattan, not on Long Island :-P

I Support ClubWRX
    If someone can remember to use a turn signal indicator instinctively,they can learn to lock the doors instinctively. I just lock the doors myself once everyone gets in. It is like a reflex now.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    That happened on Manhattan, not on Long Island :-P
    You're right...started in Manhattan...haha

The whole point is that it's a deterrent and might buy you some time. If someone approaches your car while you're sitting at a red light, expecting to be able to open your door and pull you out, it might just give you enough time to get away.
    Your argument is centered around having a door lock. Point I'm trying to make here is inferring that having auto locking doors makes your car safer in this situation is a fallacy. Whether I do it manually when I get in the car or the car does it automatically when I drive off makes no difference.

Wow. OP asked a simple question and, instead of answers, gets vetted on his motive. It doesn't matter why he wants it, just that he does. If you can't help than why respond? BTW, I can't help, either...

For those who don't like techno aids, how do you feel about fuel injection? Really, if you're so into the experience shouldn't you be adjusting carbs instead? How about power steering or, better yet, AWD? Most hotshoes I'm aware of think RWD is the only way to go and AWD is for those who can't manage "real" driving. Anyone who responds with "Rally car this... Rally car that...", show us your relevant experience. Unless you drive Pikes or something like it, don't bother.

This reminds me of one responder in a post I made who said something like: "Cruise control is a recipe for disaster!".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.