Rocks getting into brakes, wheel area?

This is a discussion on Rocks getting into brakes, wheel area? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Second time this has happened to me, at least I assume something jumped up into the wheels and got lodged ...

Rocks getting into brakes, wheel area?

Second time this has happened to me, at least I assume something jumped up into the wheels and got lodged because it sounds like metal on metal scraping, gets worse when I turn, and can be augmented by braking. First time it happened, I got on the highway and heard something slip out and the sound went away completely. Note: I had driven over some loose gravel/debris right before the sound started.

Now I'm getting the same noise this morning, out of nowhere, pulled off the highway, came to a stop at a light and noticed very loud scraping noise coming from the front end. No loose gravel this time, though. It sounds horrifying and is incredibly loud. Of course I'm taking it to the dealer as soon as they open, but what the heck? Are these cars known for getting rocks/twigs/road debris caught in the brakes or something? What else would cause sudden metal on metal scraping like this?
    Last edited by degobah77; 10-24-2013 at 04:35 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have had my car for a year and a half 45K miles and it happened to me once or twice but gravel is on the road stuff happens just pull off to the side back up a little and hopefully it falls out.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I figure as much, just making sure something isn't stuck and scoring up my rotors. The noise can be heard half a mile away.

Had it happen a few times in my '11 after some time in mud and gravel pits, like cflip said: just back up a little, sometimes dislodges it.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I figure as much, just making sure something isn't stuck and scoring up my rotors. The noise can be heard half a mile away.
    Yeah its definitely gets your attention, though the key is not to panic.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

They checked, no scoring, everything looks fine. Loose gravel FTW.

Its happened in my '13 WRX, both times right after i drove some lose gravel and yeah it gets your attention! I chalked it up to the rotors being brand new and there being tight tolerances between the rotors and the dust shield.

Gets everyone's attention at that. The first time, it was 5:45 in the morning, I was driving through a quiet residential area with no other cars around, quiet as a mouse, then....!@$#!$@#!$#@$!#@$!#!$@!$#@$!#@$! The noise was so nightmarish that I saw people's house lights start turning on.

Happend to me once in loose gravel. Heard the noise and almost **** my pants lol. There was a rock in between my rim and my brake.

Same here. 2013 wrx 6,000 miles, happened 3 times so far...

Knock on wood this hasn't happened to me. Hrm.