Hit and Run
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hit and Run within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Was working training today (as with most days after work) and next door there is a dog-daycare place. A lady ...

Hit and Run

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	120010

Was working training today (as with most days after work) and next door there is a dog-daycare place. A lady came out with a German Shepherd, got into an '04 Cadillac SUV, and backed into my poor little Scoob! Then she drove away! Luckily I park directly in front of the boxing gym and saw this happen. Got her name from the doggy day-care and called the cops. Took about 1h15 for the officer to show but got her info from the dog place, got my info, then tracked her down! She said she didn't know she hit me but now I have all her info and will be updating my insurance claim with her insurance stuffs tomorrow, first thing.

Any estimates or guesses on what that will cost? Hard to see but a clip(s) were broken holding the top part of the bumper to the passenger rear quarter panel too. Probably a full bumper replacement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    $1000 USD.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yeah, the bumper + paint + labor isn't going to be cheap. I'm assuming insurance won't just buy a used bumper off nasioc and throw it on lol.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've been in your position, except my car didn't get fixed!

Yup, probably not getting one from the classifieds. It should be 100% covered by her insurance though.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Yeah, the bumper + paint + labor isn't going to be cheap. I'm assuming insurance won't just buy a used bumper off nasioc and throw it on lol.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've been in your position, except my car didn't get fixed!
    Some insurance companies will utilize used parts if they have a local "bone yard" to pick from.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    Yup, probably not getting one from the classifieds. It should be 100% covered by her insurance though.
    Wow...you guys don't understand insurance at all...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Yeah the first time my wife almost totaled her scion the body shop was able to find one certain part used that kept it from being totaled...usually though when they do the quotes they list used parts in the quote and where to get them from that they know are all ready available. At least in the quote for the scion they did...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Nevermind, I can't reply quote worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Wow...you guys don't understand insurance at all...
    This was not particularly insightful. Why don't you shed some light.

My gf's Mustang was recently broadsided. The SUV had barely a scratch, but her Mustang was jacked the entire side of the car. The lady didn't care, "that's why we have insurance". Well she was at fault - if you're at fault, then your insurance;

- pays 100% of the repair, as approved by the insurance company, this includes ordering brand new OEM parts.
    - pays for persons car rental while the car is in the body shop.
    - drops you immediately.

I Support ClubWRX
    This was not particularly insightful. Why don't you shed some light.
    I would, but I've discussed how insurance works in about 100 threads now. It's getting repetitive. I keep meaning to create a sort of "catch all" thread for insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    My gf's Mustang was recently broadsided. The SUV had barely a scratch, but her Mustang was jacked the entire side of the car. The lady didn't care, "that's why we have insurance". Well she was at fault - if you're at fault, then your insurance;

- pays 100% of the repair, as approved by the insurance company, this includes ordering brand new OEM parts.
    - pays for persons car rental while the car is in the body shop.
    - drops you immediately.
    - Wrong
    - Wrong
    - Wrong

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Well seeing that I just witnessed it happen a few days ago firsthand, I'm not sure where it's wrong. It also just happened to my own car about 3 weeks ago or so. You pay your deductibles and the insurance takes care of everything else. My gf paid nothing, she got her car back as good as new with a brand new drivers side door and had a rental the entire time all on the other lady's insurance.

And I'm not sure the lady got dropped but I'd be impressed if she didn't since she caused about 6 grand in damages and could have seriously injured someone.

Edit: I assume you say wrong because I didn't bring up deductibles?
    Last edited by degobah77; 10-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    Well seeing that I just witnessed it happen a few days ago firsthand, I'm not sure where it's wrong. It also just happened to my own car about 3 weeks ago or so. You pay your deductibles and the insurance takes care of everything else. My gf paid nothing, she got her car back as good as new with a brand new drivers side door and had a rental the entire time all on the other lady's insurance.

And I'm not sure the lady got dropped but I'd be impressed if she didn't since she caused about 6 grand in damages.
    This just confirms you understand almost nothing about insurance. You think because you pay your deductibles and premiums that the insurance covers all your damages? What happens if the damages to your property exceed the limits of the insured's coverage? You get to file a lawsuit and hopefully get a settlement for the rest. Insurance companies aren't required to replace your parts with OEM parts. They are required to replace them with OEM equivalent parts. That means you'll get the most cost effective parts to keep the cost of repairs down. You may or may not get OEM parts during your repair.

If you're lucky and the insured party has a good insurance company you should get a rental car. But don't count on it.

Insurance doesn't drop you just because you have an accident. Most companies these days have some sort of accident forgiveness as part of their coverages so it wont change your rates even if you're in one accident. It comes down to how much of a liability you are. So if you've been in 4 at fault accidents in 4 months you might get dropped. But one accident in a year? It's unlikely you'll get dropped unless you have one of those crap insurance companies. Also, both parties can be at fault depending on what state you're in. That means if your adjuster determines liability at 60/40, you'd be responsbile for paying a portion of the damages out of pocket.

If I go through my insurance for this, I pay my deductible and wait for a reimbursement from the other party's insurance. Directly from my insurance company: "you are clearly not at fault here so even if you pay your deductible and have it repaired and use your rental car coverage, your premiums will NOT be affected."
    Or I can go through other party's insurance and all will be covered by them and nothing should be out of pocket at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    If I go through my insurance for this, I pay my deductible and wait for a reimbursement from the other party's insurance. Directly from my insurance company: "you are clearly not at fault here so even if you pay your deductible and have it repaired and use your rental car coverage, your premiums will NOT be affected."
    Or I can go through other party's insurance and all will be covered by them and nothing should be out of pocket at all.
    Those are two options available. But I'd suggest you go through their insurance company before yours. If you can't get a response from the other party's company then go through your company. Your company should then take the other company through the litigation process to get your reimbusement back. I'd verify that filing through your company won't imact your policy in any way though, although it shouldn't.

You're right, I don't know all the details. All I know is my last 2 experiences with insurance where;
    OEM parts were used as deemed necessary by my insurance company.
    Insurance covered all the damages, minus my deductible, they even repaired other damage unrelated to the claim at the same time.
    And in the case of my gf, she had a rental car for a week and a full repair, including OEM parts.

I'd assert that for regular fender benders, provided that both parties don't have THE GENERAL'S insurance, or some other lowball, budget company, then my 2 recent experiences would be the most common.

Perpetual n00b out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast