Hit and Run - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Hit and Run within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by degobah77 You're right, I don't know all the details. All I know is my last 2 experiences ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    You're right, I don't know all the details. All I know is my last 2 experiences with insurance where;
    OEM parts were used as deemed necessary by my insurance company.
    Insurance covered all the damages, minus my deductible.
    And in the case of my gf, she had a rental car for a week and a full repair, including OEM parts.

I'd assert that for regular fender benders, provided that both parties don't have THE GENERAL'S insurance, or some other lowball, budget company, then my 2 recent experiences would be the most common.

Perpetual n00b out.
    Insurance only pays for all OEM parts if the vehicle is within 2 years of the manufacture date....So unless that's the case with both of your experiences, they might have been OEM, they might not have. When my truck was hit, the only place door skins were available were through GM so sometimes that is the only way they can complete repairs. But you do realize that insurance is a business right? They wouldn't make very much money if they kept replacing every part damaged with OEM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    But I'd suggest you go through their insurance company before yours.
    No doubt. The claim is already open and I'm calling them again in 10 minutes when the lady gets into the office.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Some insurance companies will utilize used parts if they have a local "bone yard" to pick from.

Wow...you guys don't understand insurance at all...
    You should notice we used the words like "assume" and "probably." We never said they don't utilize used parts. I'm not a self-proclaimed expert on insurance...explaining it on hundreds of other threads for noobs, so yeah, I guess we don't understand it "at all." The first part of your post is helpful, the second part is just Drew's games and I will ignore it. Thanks for the info.

Insurance only pays for all OEM parts if the vehicle is within 2 years of the manufacture date....So unless that's the case with both of your experiences, they might have been OEM, they might not have. When my truck was hit, the only place door skins were available were through GM so sometimes that is the only way they can complete repairs. But you do realize that insurance is a business right? They wouldn't make very much money if they kept replacing every part damaged with OEM.
    I've been paying my insurance company anywhere from $75-150 a month for the last 18 years. Free money in their pockets for almost 2 decades. When I need them to do something, they make me pay more. Hell yeah it's a business, and one helluva business at that!

I find it funny that a lot of people try to do anything OTHER than use their insurance company in fear that their rates will go up or they might be dropped. Yeas and years ago, a guy slammed the side of my truck in a parking lot and was nice enough to leave a note. When I talked to him, he begged to not go through insurance, wanted me to just get a quote and he would pay OOP. My truck was old and all banged up already, no need to bring insurance into this. We settled over a case of beer.

Some insurance companies will utilize used parts if they have a local "bone yard" to pick from.

Wow...you guys don't understand insurance at all...
    Not everyone has a wife who works for insurance companies
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Those are two options available. But I'd suggest you go through their insurance company before yours. If you can't get a response from the other party's company then go through your company. Your company should then take the other company through the litigation process to get your reimbusement back. I'd verify that filing through your company won't imact your policy in any way though, although it shouldn't.
    This.

I've been involved in more not-at-fault accidents than anyone should care to be in. It's generally faster to get a claim going with your company, if it's a good company that does work for you...they will get the repair process started, and then go through all the hassle of getting their money back via the other insurance company of the person at fault. This is the litigation process Drews is talking about.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I've been paying my insurance company anywhere from $75-150 a month for the last 18 years. Free money in their pockets for almost 2 decades. When I need them to do something, they make me pay more. Hell yeah it's a business, and one helluva business at that!

I find it funny that a lot of people try to do anything OTHER than use their insurance company in fear that their rates will go up or they might be dropped. Yeas and years ago, a guy slammed the side of my truck in a parking lot and was nice enough to leave a note. When I talked to him, he begged to not go through insurance, wanted me to just get a quote and he would pay OOP. My truck was old and all banged up already, no need to bring insurance into this. We settled over a case of beer.
    That is a risk I would not take with how litigious our society is today. That's just asking to get nailed for a hit and run.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You should notice we used the words like "assume" and "probably." We never said they don't utilize used parts. I'm not a self-proclaimed expert on insurance...explaining it on hundreds of other threads for noobs, so yeah, I guess we don't understand it "at all." The first part of your post is helpful, the second part is just Drew's games and I will ignore it. Thanks for the info.
    Well, you can't all be as smart and well educated as I am.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Just went through this with my 11 Ford Edge. My Fiance is driving it. She is a teacher. She had another teacher back into and take off. Police report not my fiances fault yadda yadda yadda. Wasn't thrilled but police didn't write the other person a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident... Also it isn't a hit and run unless it involves another person. Hit and run is a felony, leaving the scene of an accident is a misdemeanor. I have progressive and lucky for us she did as well so they were able to look up her policy etc. Anyway my Edge I have only had since December 2011 so it isn't even 2 years old. It only has 34,000 miles on it and the adjuster wanted the bumper repaired. Basically we put our foot down and said no it is getting a new bumper. First off it is a lease and will be going back to Ford in March second off it is a $42,000 car that is immaculate except for damage caused my someone else. It also helped that the repair shop is owned by a very good family friend and they ordered and painted a new bumper before the adjuster even came. This happened October 1st and just got finished yesterday. I refused to pay the deductible so had to wait for Progressive to figure everything out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	120026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2769.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	120034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	120042
    Last edited by 13WRXlimited; 10-24-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    This was not particularly insightful. Why don't you shed some light.
    He's saying you don't have a wife who's a insurance adjuster .. lol..
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Sorry missed Mikie13 post. Disregard
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

No probs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12