What happens when gas tank gets overfilled?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What happens when gas tank gets overfilled? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm talking a little over one additional gallon above the automatic cat-out. There is a vapor recovery system and some ...

What happens when gas tank gets overfilled?

I'm talking a little over one additional gallon above the automatic cat-out. There is a vapor recovery system and some char-coal canister and whatever else... So what happens when this "stuff" gets flooded? Anyone familiar with this and what happens? (Hint: I know the answer...) I'll have an "attaboy - or -girl for whoever comes up with the right ideas.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    It spills out...duh.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not playing your stupid game.

2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm not playing your stupid game.
    Meaning you have no idea...
    And no, it didn't spill...
    "Intersting" head - Car still drives around...

I Support ClubWRX
    Where the excess goes also depends on your locale's regulations of vapours. In my area it can be a waste of money.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If you "overfill" the tank while pumping, the excess gas is picked up by the gas pump and goes back into the gas station's tanks.

If you fill your car absolutely full, flooding the vapor collector in the car, the gas will expand in the tank and give you bad gas mileage. Then your muffler bearings explode.

So why are you posting this question if you know it already? I don't understand lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you "overfill" the tank while pumping, the excess gas is picked up by the gas pump and goes back into the gas station's tanks.
    False. If the pump could "suck back" excess fuel, that's a tremendous fire hazard. A small fire on the pavement could be drawn back down to the station's main tanks... instantly causing a really bad day for the fire department. There are check valves in the pump to prevent this.

The gas pump uses an ingeniously simple mechanical vacuum valve to shut off the pump when the gas level reaches near the end of the pump nozzle, but if you force the pump back on again, it absolutely will overflow the car's fill tube and spill over the side of your car. You can thank our good friend Bernoulli for this neat little valve.
    Last edited by Rambo; 10-21-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I heard it goes back from whence it came... Oz.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    NOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    False. If the pump could "suck back" excess fuel, that's a tremendous fire hazard. A small fire on the pavement could be drawn back down to the station's main tanks... instantly causing a really bad day for the fire department. There are check valves in the pump to prevent this.
    OK yeah, I was referring to the vapor recovery system. But I see the idiocy in my statement. Thanks man lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess if you have a faulty gasket on the hatch that you open to replace the pump that it could spill in the cabin of the car....but then you have other problems, one being that you have been sucking gas fumes in your ride and not fixing it.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

The gas trickles back into the gas pump handle, where tiny elves live at exactly the halfway point. These elves thrive on incoming gasoline, whilst having no use for outgoing gasoline. Once the incoming gasoline gets to the tiny elves, they mate with the particles, creating Charlie Sheen.

lol

Last time, and only time, my tank got overfilled, the station attendant actually did it because the pump was malfunctioning - charging me without pumping any gas...he kept forcing the pump and eventually gas was coming out all over the ground and all over my car. My car didn't drive any differently for many years to come so not sure what happens other than a stinky mess.

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    lol
    .... My car didn't drive any differently for many years to come so not sure what happens other than a stinky mess.
    Was this a WRX? I'm asking this for a real reason...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.