What happens when gas tank gets overfilled? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What happens when gas tank gets overfilled? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It was a Plymouth Laser - 4 banger turbo....

It was a Plymouth Laser - 4 banger turbo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, nobody knows?
    But everybody knows nobody, so I guess for right now I'm nobody...
    I was going to give rep to Rambo for best (if still wrong) answer, but the system won't let me: "you have to spread the love around..." or something to that effect.
    Anyways, I had this effect: car started to run sickly and then a CEL "running too rich". My interpretation is that the fuel pressure regulation got effed up and delivered too high pressure, resulting in injectors dis-charging too much fuel. Car did run noticeable rich, smelled accordingly. After a while of driving around and everything seemed normal I got gutsy and reset the ECU. No ill effects whatsoever. So no more filling to "upper level lower lip"... my poor car was literally fed-up!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Really? My 2002 has had gas spill out of the filler all over the side due to I'm guessing a faulty shut off valve in the filler gun. Had to stop it manually or it would have kept going. The attendant immediately put one of the out of order bags over it when I told him.

No effect on the car what so ever other than gas draining all over the side of the car and wheel. No CEL, No bogging, No smell or smoke. I do not have a wide band to monitor AFR though.

Could it be isolated to newer models?

Could certainly be. Could also be a mis-diagnosis on my part. This is just what I experienced. And I'm positive that the overfill lead to the symptoms I had. However, I've done same thing with virtually every car I've owned, never had this. But then again, I've also never had a car quite as new as this one. That's why I posted this whole thread, just to see if maybe someone had a good understanding of this vapor recovery and associated junk...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No stupid questions....
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Only stupid questions are those nobody asked... And if you look further up - that's me...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Only stupid questions are those nobody asked... And if you look further up - that's me...
    I disagree. It's a very stupid question and isn't worded well and will receive slow feedback for the answer you're looking for. It's easy to ask a question to which you already know the answer because you know the answer you're looking for. But since it's not worded very well, it's probably not going to draw out the answer you already know. Since you left it so broadly worded, there are tons of variables that can easily lead to 100 different correct answers. So, yeah, pretty dumb if you ask me.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

OK...

I Support ClubWRX
    OK...
    I mean, are you looking for the answer that if the tank is overfilled it wont allow the gas to expand? Or are you talking about flooding the emissions systems? What about cars that don't have modern emissions systems? If you're looking for a specific answer, you need to ask the right question. :alextrebek:

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    OK, nobody knows?
    But everybody knows nobody, so I guess for right now I'm nobody...
    I was going to give rep to Rambo for best (if still wrong) answer, but the system won't let me: "you have to spread the love around..." or something to that effect.
    Anyways, I had this effect: car started to run sickly and then a CEL "running too rich". My interpretation is that the fuel pressure regulation got effed up and delivered too high pressure, resulting in injectors dis-charging too much fuel. Car did run noticeable rich, smelled accordingly. After a while of driving around and everything seemed normal I got gutsy and reset the ECU. No ill effects whatsoever. So no more filling to "upper level lower lip"... my poor car was literally fed-up!
    No, this doesn't make sense.

The fuel pressure regulator is a passive device: if the fuel pressure increases above 43 PSI, the excess pressure is routed back into the tank. By obvious nature, if you remove fuel to feed the injectors and the excess fuel is fed back through the return line to the tank, you'll always end up with less fuel in the tank then when you started (I wish this wasn't the case). Excess fuel is routed back through the return line with a pressure of at least 43 PSI. To cause back flow, you'd have to have at least 43 PSI of pressure from the fuel tank: this means either a 37.5 meter deep fuel tank or 43 PSI of vapor pressure. You'd have neither and you're grasping at straws.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

See, if I knew I wouldn't be asking.... I'm asking as stated, since I did overfill and my car got "sick" for a while. Not knowing anything about the vapor recovery and how it interacts with emissions and the rest of the fueling I was left with only guessing that it messed up the fuel pressure regulation. I was hoping someone would know and go "vapor lock increases pressure beyond what regulator can handle.." or whatever. I honestly don't know much about this. I have not had a vehicle with the "modern day" emissions, the newest I had before was a '96 JP GC with the v8. It had some exhaust return and cats. That's about it... Everything before that didn't even have cats or anything. I'm a bit old-school, even from before electronic ignition and fuel injection.

So, Zax, you think there shouldn't be any connection between overfill (even flooding the vapor recovery stuff) and fuel pressure at injectors? I'm not disputing you, just clarifying. It does make sense that the pressure regulator would just bleed off the excess thru the fuel return line. And regrettably the return is always somewhat less then the feed. Hence the need to fill up from time to time. I also don't think the tank and other components would care much for 43PSI, something would likely give. Any ideas what made my car sick? It does seem related to the fill level.

Here's a thought I had on my way home: The vapor tank is a charcoal container for all that I know (which isn't much...). This would have to be purged. I would guess that's done thru vacuum lines. Meaning the engine gets to "suck it up" with the intake. Would that fly as explanation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12