First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got my flame suit on suckers! 2013 WRX Base Model - Anyway, I've got about 500 miles on the ...

First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice

I got my flame suit on suckers!

2013 WRX Base Model -

Anyway, I've got about 500 miles on the car, and I just learned about rev matching today...

Could anyone please help reassure me on some things...

1. When starting in first gear, I usually rev it at or around 1500 rpms to get up and going. I'm worried about stalling... (Laugh Here)
    How long do I have until something in my transmission gives? is it 10k miles or 100k? (Give this vague info) What is the first thing to wear out due to retard shifting syndrome?

2. Please explain rev matching in retard shifting syndrome words.

-My experience here is pretty bad. So when going from 4th to 5th (5Spd) I usually take .5/sec to shift and by then my RPMS have dropped from 4k to 1-2K RPMS.

I tend to push in the clutch and shift to 5th let the clutch all the way out and then start pressing on the gas pedal. In fact, I do this for all the gears... And downshifting feels even worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
    1. When starting in first gear, I usually rev it at or around 1500 rpms to get up and going. I'm worried about stalling... (Laugh Here)
    Don't be.

How long do I have until something in my transmission gives? is it 10k miles or 100k?
    Yes. Yes it is.

What is the first thing to wear out due to retard shifting syndrome?
    The clutch, usually. That or the warranty.

2. Please explain rev matching in retard shifting syndrome words.
    It's what people that don't know how to shift do. Example: go to any thread that discusses a failed gearbox. The poster will say "I always rev match" yet their gearbox has failed.

-My experience here is pretty bad. So when going from 4th to 5th (5Spd) I usually take .5/sec to shift and by then my RPMS have dropped from 4k to 1-2K RPMS.
    Just relax and practice.

I tend to push in the clutch and shift to 5th let the clutch all the way out and then start pressing on the gas pedal. In fact, I do this for all the gears... And downshifting feels even worse.
    Again, just practice. You can give it a bit of throttle to make the shifts smoother. If you notice what you've done when you get it right, typically one pedal will be going out whist the other is going in. Light is right; don't kick. The more relaxed you are the easier it gets to learn.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If it goes in easy and the shift is smooth, its probably a pretty good shift.

The only time I've ever really done any rev-matching was once I learned Toyota was going to warranty the 6-speed on my previous car and had a week before the appointment. I was hard a f**k on the trans that week. Otherwise I let the RPMs drop, it has synchronized gears.

Also rev-match driving big motor/trans combos but that's a whole different world.

I got distracted taking off at a light going out for ice-cream with my GF last night and stalled it. Dumb and mildly embarassing? Yes. A big deal? No.

Don't worry about stalling at all. I stalled this morning waiting for the automatic gate to open at my work. It will become second nature to reach for the key to do a subtle restart.

Wait till you engage the hill holder for the first time...
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

I've been driving stick for 18 years and I have stalled this car more in the last year than I did with any other car ever.

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I've been driving stick for 18 years and I have stalled this car more in the last year than I did with any other car ever.
    I agree...I had my 2003 WRX for 10 years and have stalled my 2013 more in 1 year than the previous 10. The clutch is super light.
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

I Support ClubWRX
    I learned to shift a car and a bike at roughly the same time, in... 1986. I wouldn't be surprised if I stalled either today, or tomorrow, or in 20 years. Happens.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I try to be easy on the clutch. Taking off at about 1k rpms makes stalling REAL easy. But better stalling 100times than once replacing the clutch... I did try higher rpms to pull up in my drive way and pretty much instantly had clutch smell. I'd rather stall. As it is I stall probably once every week. And grind my gears at least 3 times a week, because my foot is already releasing the clutch when the gear just slips in... I take the gear out without clutch, press the clutch and go into the next gear, usually. Downshifts I give it a shot, as the clutch goes in. That speeds up the gears and they slide right in, releasing the clutch with a bit of rpms also helps making the transition smooth. However, all this happens without actually paying attention, so sometimes it just doesn't quite work out...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXRayF View Post
    Wait till you engage the hill holder for the first time...
    3 of my 4 cars have been sticks, but the WRX is the first car I've ever owned with hill assist. I didn't even know it had hill assist (or what it was) until I had my first encounter with it!

One of the first days I drove the car, I was on a very steep hill and did my typical transition to prevent from rolling back to much, then I stalled... Started back up, then I stall again...

After the second stall I realized what was happening and that I had to wait a few seconds before the brake would release. It's a neat feature, but considering I've driven a stick for a long time, it's a bit frustrating. Hill assist is especially frustrating when stopped at a light on a slight incline, and it prevents me from being able to get off the line quickly (my drive to work has a lot of roads that are 2 lanes then drop to 1 lane shortly after a light, and people tend to drive 10mph under the speed limit).
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Something that really helped me was to study up and learn about the relationship between the clutch and powertrain. How these things work mechanically. Once you have a basic understanding of how the pressure plate and flywheel work to get the car moving, its much easier to know what you are doing wrong and what you can do to remedy it.

Simple concepts:
    (during starts)
    -If the car is bogging/starts to bog, give it more gas.
    -If the car is revving high but going nowhere, ease off the clutch more.

-Always be smooth with the clutch when letting it out. Sudden release can cause drivetrain shock. You'll feel this if you shift from second to third, and just let the clutch all the way out, the car will jerk a bit. Same reason why starting the car can bounce around if you're not gentle.

-Downshifting, it is ok to do it the "grandma" way and clutch in, shift to lower gear, clutch out SLOWLY and let it grab and bounce up to whatever RPMs. Once again, if you're not gentle, you're gonna shock the drivetrain and get jerked around.

-Rev matching is simple. If you are doing 50 mph in 4th gear at 2500 RPM, if you shift to third gear the RPMs will naturally be higher, maybe around 3000 RPM. So "rev-matching" is simply if you downshift from 4th, you clutch in, shift to third, rev the engine up to 3,000 RPM because you know that is where it needs to be in third, and you let the clutch out. You can be quicker than doing it "granny style" here, and if you're good enough, you can pretty much pop the clutch without hurting anything. So as you can tell, you need to get used to the gearing of your car to be able to do it well. But I don't downshift much in normal driving.

Avoid "burning your clutch". If you look up how a clutch works, you'll know its essentially two disks turning different speeds that come together to "match" speeds. That means they will rub together a bit as they begin to sync with each other. That is what "burns" the clutch and causes it to wear. It is an inevitable side effect of the system, but clutches these days last a very long time if you're nice to them.

So when starting, you essentially want to get the car rolling smoothly, without buring the clutch or popping it so much that the car jerks like we discussed before. Sometimes when starting it can be easier to bring rpms up a bit, begin to let out the clutch and then feather the gas lightly as you release the clutch.

Just know this: when the clutch begins to grab, it will bring the RPMs down, so you must give it more gas as you let off the clutch, or you'll kill the car or bog it down pretty bad. Practice doing starts where you can maintain the RPMs around 2200 through the whole start.

Thats the biggest thing. Practice. Nobody is good at stick their first time. Give it a month or so. You'll get it.
    Last edited by Jbeckforever; 10-15-2013 at 03:57 PM.

The clutch generated heat according to speed difference and torque running thru the clutch. If large difference in speed AND high torque => lots of heat. Small difference and little torque => less heat. Big torque and low speed difference = little torque and large speed difference. Brakes work the same way...

Comments earlier in the thread alluded to rev matching being bad for the transmission. Is this true?

I started rev matching when I rode sport bikes and the habit carried over to my rex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

not true

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quioxte View Post
    Comments earlier in the thread alluded to rev matching being bad for the transmission. Is this true?

I started rev matching when I rode sport bikes and the habit carried over to my rex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    To be fair, no. I can ride a bike also and know making a gross error can get exciting. In a car there's less drama but being conscientious won't hurt, no. My comment alluded to the threads around where the poster will say he's always rev matching and even heel toeing yet the gearbox has failed etc. More of a remark in passing on my part.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast