First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Since you are still in the break-in period I would suggest you to not overwork your engine as what subaru ...

Since you are still in the break-in period I would suggest you to not overwork your engine as what subaru manual states, under 4k RPM. Also I wouldn't want to underwork your car either ... I wouldn't be in 4 or 5th gear going 30mph etc.

My experience with rev matching is when you get use to your car and really watch the rev rates of each gear. You will soon learn more and more of your car as you drive it more. Rev matching will in fact save your clutch (depends HOW you drive it) of course. Break in your car before you start going crazy with rev matching and downshifting =]

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    It honestly is not too bad. It's just a light clutch, and when I have stalled it's almost always been the hill assist tripping me up when I'm on an incline/decline. You get used to clutch after a little while.
    +1 Hill assist tripped me up too. I was like I've driven a stick for 38 yrs WTF ... lol. You get used to it. Also had to adjust between my Z and the WRX ... different clutch throws. My standard advice .. is don't launch, or ride the clutch. Smooth does it.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    +1 Hill assist tripped me up too. I was like I've driven a stick for 38 yrs WTF ... lol. You get used to it. Also had to adjust between my Z and the WRX ... different clutch throws. My standard advice .. is don't launch, or ride the clutch. Smooth does it.
    hahaha yeah I totally agree! I was like what's going on! I drove it for the first time in San Francisco and hills get pretty steep there. I usually hold my ebrake for a split second as a assist when cars are on my baby's butt but anyways ... it tripped me out cause the assist and the ebrake was weird. Evidently you get use to it and don't mind it when driving in steep areas. If I have the option of switching it off ... I would because i've been driving stick for a while as well and I would want full control of the car instead of a computer or sensor helping me. I just don't reply on it too much

Noob alert: So what exactly is the hill assist? Is it something that engages automatically when the car senses it's not a flat surface? What does it do exactly, and why is it causing you experienced stick shift drivers to stall?

Thanks!
    I have no idea what I'm doing.
    http://twitter.com/heymonroe

Quote Originally Posted by heymonroe View Post
    Noob alert: So what exactly is the hill assist? Is it something that engages automatically when the car senses it's not a flat surface? What does it do exactly, and why is it causing you experienced stick shift drivers to stall?

Thanks!
    Hill assist holds the brakes for about a second when it senses your car is on an incline/decline, to prevent you from rolling while you get ready to drive off. I'm used to doing this on my own, so it just throws me off sometimes. It's really not a huge deal and actually comes in handy when I drive through downtown Seattle, where the roads can be very steep; you feel like you're going up a roller coaster on some of them! I can only imagine driving up those in snow....time will tell haha.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    Hill assist holds the brakes for about a second when it senses your car is on an incline/decline, to prevent you from rolling while you get ready to drive off. I'm used to doing this on my own, so it just throws me off sometimes. It's really not a huge deal and actually comes in handy when I drive through downtown Seattle, where the roads can be very steep; you feel like you're going up a roller coaster on some of them! I can only imagine driving up those in snow....time will tell haha.
    For someone who has very little stick experience like myself or the OP, I imagine this won't be a problem since we don't have to long of a habit to break?
    I have no idea what I'm doing.
    http://twitter.com/heymonroe

Quote Originally Posted by heymonroe View Post
    For someone who has very little stick experience like myself or the OP, I imagine this won't be a problem since we don't have to long of a habit to break?
    Exactly. If anything, it will help. You'll be fine. The assist is pretty sensitive to even slight inclination, so you just have to be wary of when it will engage and when it won't.

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

My wrx is my first Subaru and manual car and I can relate to your learning experience haha. I've had the car for about 4 months and luckily haven't stalled much but I feel as though my transitions are not as smooth as they should be. Some days I drive the car really smooth other days I feel like I'm back to where I started a few months ago.

Anyone else notice that 3rd gear feels like your shifting into a box of marbles some times? I'm not girding the gears it just doesn't feel smooth.

My wrx is my first Subaru and manual car and I can relate to your learning experience haha. I've had the car for about 4 months and luckily haven't stalled much but I feel as though my transitions are not as smooth as they should be. Some days I drive the car really smooth other days I feel like I'm back to where I started a few months ago.

Anyone else notice that 3rd gear feels like your shifting into a box of marbles some times? I'm not girding the gears it just doesn't feel smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post

That's well-documented on these forums. It's the way these gearboxes are. It's not very precise, and that is one thing I don't like as it makes quick shifts during acceleration difficult at times, but it's not terrible. I have the STi STS installed from factory; may try switching out the bushings with Kartboy to see if it helps.

I know in my car the clutch feel VASTLY varies according to atmospheric temperature outside. Feels really gummy and vague on cold days, but once it warms up everything feels fine. Car is old tho.

My clutch feel gritty/vibrates In the morning but usually when it warms up its fine however I notice every so often after driving the car for a long time that gritty feeling comes back...it's terrible because it makes it hard for me to drive the car smooth

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    Something that really helped me was to study up and learn about the relationship between the clutch and powertrain. How these things work mechanically. Once you have a basic understanding of how the pressure plate and flywheel work to get the car moving, its much easier to know what you are doing wrong and what you can do to remedy it.

Simple concepts:
    (during starts)
    -If the car is bogging/starts to bog, give it more gas.
    -If the car is revving high but going nowhere, ease off the clutch more.

-Always be smooth with the clutch when letting it out. Sudden release can cause drivetrain shock. You'll feel this if you shift from second to third, and just let the clutch all the way out, the car will jerk a bit. Same reason why starting the car can bounce around if you're not gentle.

-Downshifting, it is ok to do it the "grandma" way and clutch in, shift to lower gear, clutch out SLOWLY and let it grab and bounce up to whatever RPMs. Once again, if you're not gentle, you're gonna shock the drivetrain and get jerked around.

-Rev matching is simple. If you are doing 50 mph in 4th gear at 2500 RPM, if you shift to third gear the RPMs will naturally be higher, maybe around 3000 RPM. So "rev-matching" is simply if you downshift from 4th, you clutch in, shift to third, rev the engine up to 3,000 RPM because you know that is where it needs to be in third, and you let the clutch out. You can be quicker than doing it "granny style" here, and if you're good enough, you can pretty much pop the clutch without hurting anything. So as you can tell, you need to get used to the gearing of your car to be able to do it well. But I don't downshift much in normal driving.

Avoid "burning your clutch". If you look up how a clutch works, you'll know its essentially two disks turning different speeds that come together to "match" speeds. That means they will rub together a bit as they begin to sync with each other. That is what "burns" the clutch and causes it to wear. It is an inevitable side effect of the system, but clutches these days last a very long time if you're nice to them.

So when starting, you essentially want to get the car rolling smoothly, without buring the clutch or popping it so much that the car jerks like we discussed before. Sometimes when starting it can be easier to bring rpms up a bit, begin to let out the clutch and then feather the gas lightly as you release the clutch.

Just know this: when the clutch begins to grab, it will bring the RPMs down, so you must give it more gas as you let off the clutch, or you'll kill the car or bog it down pretty bad. Practice doing starts where you can maintain the RPMs around 2200 through the whole start.

Thats the biggest thing. Practice. Nobody is good at stick their first time. Give it a month or so. You'll get it.
    This is perfect advice and exactly how i learned stick on my WRX. Be patience and really don't over think it. Nice work on the description Jbeckforever

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123