First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First Time Suburu and Manual Transmission Owner - Seeking Shifting Advice within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ah, ok. I couldn't think of a mechanism to cause failure by rev matching, but also really enjoy having a ...

Ah, ok.

I couldn't think of a mechanism to cause failure by rev matching, but also really enjoy having a functioning transmission....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm at work so I'll have to read them tonight. But it looks like i've been reassured and my questions have been answered.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXRayF View Post
    I agree...I had my 2003 WRX for 10 years and have stalled my 2013 more in 1 year than the previous 10. The clutch is super light.
    lol I 3rd this

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    lol I 3rd this
    I had a a 5 speed Tiburon before my Rex, and I stalled the Tib maybe once a year. I have stalled my 2 month old Rex a good 4 or 5 times lol.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    I had a a 5 speed Tiburon before my Rex, and I stalled the Tib maybe once a year. I have stalled my 2 month old Rex a good 4 or 5 times lol.
    Yeah I still haven't driven an AWD car (and here I am on Subie forums), but I imagine the demand from the AWD system for more power to all wheels makes it MUCH easier to stall than a "normal" car...

It honestly is not too bad. It's just a light clutch, and when I have stalled it's almost always been the hill assist tripping me up when I'm on an incline/decline. You get used to clutch after a little while.

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I blame the LOW torque at 1 - 1.5 K RPM for stalling... and I avoid higher rpms
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    It honestly is not too bad. It's just a light clutch, and when I have stalled it's almost always been the hill assist tripping me up when I'm on an incline/decline. You get used to clutch after a little while.
    I've heard a lot of people say this, but don't really think it's the issue. AWD cars (esp. the WRX) send power to all 4 wheels vice 2, and with the extra split in torque coupled with the taller gearing of the 5 spd.....it's just not that hard to stall. Maybe it's just me, but I like the hill holder....could just be timing of when the hill holder disengages that puts people off. For me, it's something I use everyday and a feature I like.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

^ actually I have no problems with the hill-holding. Just release the clutch, it lets go. I don't think it's a timing issue, it lets go pretty quick. If you don't release the clutch - then it will wait a couple of seconds and release anyways. But there is no need to wait for that. Just go...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    If it goes in easy and the shift is smooth, its probably a pretty good shift.
    This. I'm teaching my 14-year-old manual in both the BRZ and WRX, and my main advice to her has been "If you're driving smoothly, you're probably doing it right".

. I was hard a f**k on the trans that week. Otherwise I let the RPMs drop, it has synchronized gears.
    Please don't dodge our swear filter in non-OT forums.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Please don't dodge our swear filter in non-OT forums.
    What is non-OT? I'm probably not the only one that's ignorant...

I Support ClubWRX
    OT=Off Topic Forum.
    Didn't mean to cause confusion with a TLA.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I learned to drive stick on my '06 SS/SC Cobalt. After that, I bought my '06 R6, which was a whole different kind of clutch, then I went to my 2003 Cobra which ended up w/ a Spec 3+ Clutch and lightweight flywheel. Just the pedal pressure in the Cobra literally gave me foot cramps after the first few days of driving, so when I got in the WRX for the first few months after being so used to the Cobra, I stalled literally at least once per trip, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    I learned to drive stick on my '06 SS/SC Cobalt. After that, I bought my '06 R6, which was a whole different kind of clutch, then I went to my 2003 Cobra which ended up w/ a Spec 3+ Clutch and lightweight flywheel. Just the pedal pressure in the Cobra literally gave me foot cramps after the first few days of driving, so when I got in the WRX for the first few months after being so used to the Cobra, I stalled literally at least once per trip, lol.
    I almost bought an '03 Cobra with the same clutch before the WRX! lol then I realized how impractical it would be. But that clutch was a good workout during the test drive!

And I like the hill assist too. I use it every time I drive to Seattle because half the city the roads feel like they are at 45 degree inclines. Helps with the constant stop and go traffic. 95% of the time I'm fine, but I still stall every once and a while lol. The Tib and my dad's 370Z I rarely ever stalled. The Rex just hates me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    I had a Cobra too. I sold it a few months before buying my WRX. I miss the "torqueiness" of the V8 and the exhaust note, but I don't miss the handling or the heavy clutch.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.