Dealers lie! No... really!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dealers lie! No... really! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When I decided to go WRX I went to the nearest dealer expecting to have to order one. Turned out ...

Dealers lie! No... really!

When I decided to go WRX I went to the nearest dealer expecting to have to order one. Turned out they had a used '13 w/ 12K. It was the right color but a sedan - not what I wanted. They also asked new money for it. I was upfront that I wasn't interested but I'd drive it if they insisted.

When we were done and they realized they weren't talking me into it, then told me it'd be 12 - 16 weeks if I were to order. The reason, they said, was Subaru wasn't building hatchbacks first - sedans only for now. Ummm... okay - don't call me, I'll call you.

Got online and found a not-as-local dealership with exactly what I wanted due to arrive 10/18 (or so they say). I put a deposit on that one.

Question for y'all. Since both can't be telling the truth, which is messing with me? I have a tough time believing dealer #1 though won't be at all surprised if I get a call from dealer #2 floating some excuse why the car won't be there when promised.

Who's lying? #1, #2 or both?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you know how to tell if a salesman is lying? their mouth is moving.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    No way to tell unless you brought your polygraph.

I think those sonsabitches can beat the ploygraph!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post
    Question for y'all. Since both can't be telling the truth
    Why not? They may both believe what they are telling you. They may also both be wrong as of this moment, or they may both end up being wrong if something changes between now and the time your car arrives.

Since the people you spoke to sell cars (at least today) it is unlikely they have any actual idea when your order will arrive. Besides, if they did, that'd spoil the surprise.

Now, since you can consider waiting a few weeks, you don't need a car now anyway. I'd shop by price alone and just wait.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Why not? They may both believe what they are telling you. They may also both be wrong as of this moment, or they may both end up being wrong if something changes between now and the time your car arrives.

Since the people you spoke to sell cars (at least today) it is unlikely they have any actual idea when your order will arrive. Besides, if they did, that'd spoil the surprise.

Now, since you can consider waiting a few weeks, you don't need a car now anyway. I'd shop by price alone and just wait.
    So, you believe one dealer can flatly make a statement like: "Subaru isn't making '14 hatchbacks yet" while the other has an advertised date of 10/18 for a '14 hatchback and neither is lying? That they're simply misinformed? If I were that misinformed I wouldn't have my clients for long.

As for not needing it, why do you think that? There's a big difference between two weeks and four months. As it happens, I need it, sort-of, by 10/20 and really by 11/4. If they don't get it by then, I'll pop for the CLA with no regrets (though a bit less cash in my pocket).

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    There are some bad dealerships out there. I've run across a few of them, mostly concerning parts. And yes, even a parts manager can be misinformed about his own stock. Not just subaru dealerships, this was at Acura and also happened at Chevy GMC.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    So, you believe one dealer can flatly make a statement like: "Subaru isn't making '14 hatchbacks yet" while the other has an advertised date of 10/18 for a '14 hatchback and neither is lying? That they're simply misinformed? If I were that misinformed I wouldn't have my clients for long.

As for not needing it, why do you think that? There's a big difference between two weeks and four months. As it happens, I need it, sort-of, by 10/20 and really by 11/4. If they don't get it by then, I'll pop for the CLA with no regrets (though a bit less cash in my pocket).
    Sales people know very little other than how to make a sale. So usually they will tell you what they need to if they think it will get them a sale.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

When i went to order one at the first dealership i visited, they told me 14's wouldnt be here till at least christmas and wanted me to buy a '13 that was in transit, 2nd dealer said i could have one by october (this was in august). Thats why its good idea to check a few places.
    2014 WRX SWP Hatch

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

They gave me a 8 weeks time frame when I ordered my '14 sti hatch that was on 9/8 as of 9/30 they are no longer taking orders for the '14 wrx or sti the extra time frame they gave you may not to off but a bit high I guess

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I am pretty confident that Subaru makes both configurations at the same time, otherwise we would have seen a rash of sedan purchases, then hatch, then sedan, then hatch, etc. or you would only be able to get sedans till one date and hatches till another date.

As others have said, sales guys no absolutely **** about the process or lines. Most of them can't even tell the years apart or what changes year to year. Used sales guys know even less and can't tell the difference between a Pzev and an XT. Hell, I had a used guy tell me that all cars (from all makes and all models) sold in America are Pzev by law.

With the WRX and STi, thye are 100% Japan content, all built in Japan and shipped via boat to the world. This means that unless the dealership has been promised one that is already in transit, or already waiting at the dock, you are looking at at least 6 weeks if you are near a port city they are shipped to, 8 to 10 weeks if you live in the center of the country. Remember, they all have to get loaded on a boat, cross an ocean, get off the boat, pass customs, change hands to distribution, get carted to the dealer, then get inspected and detailed all before you take possession.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    in fact, a quick search on cars.com for 2014 wrx within 200 miles of Yakima Wa returned 18 results, many in hatch. If they are on cars.com they should be in stock on the lot and not sold. There are dark grey, silver, black, and blue all 'in stock' in your relative area. Out here in western PA I have seen people travel up to 175 miles to buy one in stock. You can also possibly get your local dealer to make a trade with one of the remote dealers if you can't travel to pick it up....though you might want to verify if it would be flat-bed delivered or driven by some flunkie before you go that route.

WRXs near Yakima
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Sales people know very little other than how to make a sale. So usually they will tell you what they need to if they think it will get them a sale.
    I'd be with you except the sales manager, himself, did the "Perp-Walk" from his office to lay that on me. Slimy bastard!

I Support ClubWRX
    The alternative implies a multi billion dollar Japanese company with an almost global distribution network saw fit to provide specific information to the people with whom you spoke. I'm skeptical of that.

If they don't get it by then, I'll pop for the CLA with no regrets (though a bit less cash in my pocket).
    Those have nice lines.

Do an online search for existing inventory in your area. You'll probably find something.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The alternative implies a multi billion dollar Japanese company with an almost global distribution network saw fit to provide specific information to the people with whom you spoke. I'm skeptical of that.
    Not sure what you mean.

Those have nice lines.
    I drove one and was very pleasantly surprised. The only downside I can see is once the warranty period is over, Benzs completely dump in value. Heck, I bought a when-new 140K car with 62K miles for 19K.

Subarus, especially WRXs, seem to hold value exceptionally well.

Do an online search for existing inventory in your area. You'll probably find something.
    That's how I found the car I put a deposit on. I tried to buy one on the lot (via phone) by giving them a 2K non-refundable deposit against my finishing the transaction in a week (they are 200 miles away). They weren't interested.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast