WRX as an over-a-mountain-pass weekly commuter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX as an over-a-mountain-pass weekly commuter within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Starting next month, I get to do a 250 mile weekly commute over a mountain pass. Most of the winter ...

WRX as an over-a-mountain-pass weekly commuter

Starting next month, I get to do a 250 mile weekly commute over a mountain pass. Most of the winter months will be either bare roads or hard packed snow. There will be episodes of drifting snow but not often.

After weighing my options, I decided on a '14 WRX Hatch which (supposedly) will be in 10/18. AWD is a big draw, good power, reasonable MPG (I hope), not too bad to look at, bang-for-the-buck and resale value with higher miles. I doubt I'll mod it for a while, if at all, due to it's purpose - high mileage, dependable, fun-ish freeway car that I'd like to last a few years.

Others I considered were Audi A4, BMW 3 series X, even the new CLA 45 though that one is a bit spendy for a car I'll have to throw away in three years.

I'm hoping this thing does well in the conditions I've mentioned. I'm wondering if I should consider different tires or will the stock ones manage okay? Do y'all think I made a reasonable choice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm on my phone so I can't provide links, but general altimax arctics tires (they're studdable) 215/55/16 is the size that is almost exactly the same diameter ad the stock tire. And throw them on some steel wheels cause it sounds like ur guna beat them up. Screw the tpms sensors unless that light being on is worth 150 + resetting them call it ~200.

Without the sensors your looking at 750 for the tires and wheels. And believe me, your guna need them. The stockers suck ass.

But overall awesome choice! You'll enjoy the car. The stock tune sucks though, if u haven't read already.

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    I'm on my phone so I can't provide links, but general altimax arctics tires (they're studdable) 215/55/16 is the size that is almost exactly the same diameter ad the stock tire. And throw them on some steel wheels cause it sounds like ur guna beat them up. Screw the tpms sensors unless that light being on is worth 150 + resetting them call it ~200.

Without the sensors your looking at 750 for the tires and wheels. And believe me, your guna need them. The stockers suck ass.

But overall awesome choice! You'll enjoy the car. The stock tune sucks though, if u haven't read already.
    Didn't realize the car came w/ 16s. As for the tune, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'll probably be careful there due to warranty issues. At least for a while.

Thanks for the help!

It comes with 17's. But narrower tires are better in the winter and 16's are cheaper. So most ppl toss on the 16's for winter. However they don't clear bigger brakes so sti's run 17's or whatever clears them.

And I'm 21000 on the stock tune. It Pisses me off. Doesn't drive smoothly.

It comes with 17's. But narrower tires are better in the winter and 16's are cheaper. So most ppl toss on the 16's for winter. However they don't clear bigger brakes so sti's run 17's or whatever clears them.

And I'm 21000 on the stock tune. It Pisses me off. Doesn't drive smoothly.
    I suppose I'll live with it for a while - can always change. Although I have the best of intentions, I know me - I'll probably decide I need something different next year so stock is probably best for now.

yup. this.or just grab a set of factory size for your car and prepare to slap winter around instead of the other way around. also prepare to pass alot of people going really(sensibly)slower than you are. which ever way you choose to snow tire. it will also prolong the life of your summers if you dont store them outside in the weather, mounted or not.

sorry wrexxy, i have no idea whats up with my post or the reply button. but that was you i quoted lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

A 2014 WRX will fit the bill perfectly for your snowy mountain passes...and will be fun while at it. As the other guys mentioned, you will want dedicated winter tires.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Just to clarify, people are saying get dedicated winters and that the stock tires are no good because the car comes with summer tires from the factory. You don't want to be on those in cold weather and definitely in any kind of snow.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Just to clarify, people are saying get dedicated winters and that the stock tires are no good because the car comes with summer tires from the factory. You don't want to be on those in cold weather and definitely in any kind of snow.
    My user name!!!

I didn't want to spend more money (beyond the sound system I'm told I'll need right away) after writing the check for the car! I was really hoping AWD on ANY tires would be good enough. Good investment, I'm sure.

Definitely not man.
    I've taken my Subie on snowy mountain passes with All-Seasons, but they were barely cutting.
    Once your car is broken in, your milage is going to suck. Subie+mountains=fun, lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dammit View Post
    My user name!!!
    Haha, is that why you're "damnit?"
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Skip the sound system and spend the $ on winter tires. AWD for the go, winter tires for the stop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Winter tires = peace of mind over crappy roads. Maybe you can stop/dodge/ run away from someone that doesn't have that kind of traction
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Just looked at my user name and it seemed the appropriate thing to type.

Still not sure what I can get away with saying - used to SVTP.

I don't expect to spend much time in the snow, but there will be a few days of snowboarding, one or two times over the pass, and we usually get a few days of snow every winter in my home town. I was thinking of just grabbing four of these to run November thru February on my factory wheels. Any pro/con opinions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.