WRX as an over-a-mountain-pass weekly commuter - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX as an over-a-mountain-pass weekly commuter within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by livendive I don't expect to spend much time in the snow, but there will be a few ...

Quote Originally Posted by livendive View Post
    I don't expect to spend much time in the snow, but there will be a few days of snowboarding, one or two times over the pass, and we usually get a few days of snow every winter in my home town. I was thinking of just grabbing four of these to run November thru February on my factory wheels. Any pro/con opinions?
    Link is bad. Doh.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Weird. It works on my computer, and on my phone too.

I drive my WRX in the snow all winter long on highway tires. BUT i can say that without a doubt snow tires make a HUGE difference. I can't justify having 2 sets of tires for mine, so i just rely on AWD and being cautious in poor weather, but if you can spring for them, you will not regret having snow tires. I had Michelin X-Ice's when i bought my WRX and they were nice.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 08wrx331 View Post
    I can't justify having 2 sets of tires for mine, so i just rely on AWD and being cautious in poor weather, but if you can spring for them, you will not regret having snow tires...
    This is VERY poor advice, especially since the OP is driving WEEKLY in snow and icy conditions. You cannot "rely" on AWD to help you stop, you can't "rely" on AWD to help you turn. You could have the world's most advanced AWD platform, but it will be useless if the tires are too brittle to grip the road surface. Summer tires are not meant for use below 40 degrees, even on dry pavement, much less snow and ice. This isn't some scam to sell you more tires, it's a legitimate safety warning. If you start sliding on summer tires, AWD (from any maker) is useless to save you.

In the OP's situation, regardless of what car they buy, snow tires are a mandatory safety investment, not a "nice to have" item.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I drive my WRX in the snow all winter long on highway tires. BUT i can say that without a doubt snow tires make a HUGE difference. I can't justify having 2 sets of tires for mine, so i just rely on AWD and being cautious in poor weather, but if you can spring for them, you will not regret having snow tires. I had Michelin X-Ice's when i bought my WRX and they were nice.
    False.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

false? how is any of what i said false? just because you disagree doesn't make anything i said false. you guys don't have to be ****s about it. if you sit an think about the vast majority of the population, they won't have snow tires.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

and for the record i don't disagree with any of the statements about AWD being useless once you slide, etc. i was simply telling him what i do. you don't have to agree with it. no need to jump down my throat about it.
    Josh

false? how is any of what i said false? just because you disagree doesn't make anything i said false. you guys don't have to be ****s about it. if you sit an think about the vast majority of the population, they won't have snow tires.
    And then their thoughts will all be false too.

It's not an opinion that I disagree with...its fact. SUMMER seasonal tires are unsafe in snow (and temps under 40 degrees or so), period. AWD will not save your life when you have to stop, slow down, steer, etc...AWD only works when your foot is on the gas pedal...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Hi 08wrx! Haven't met you before yet. I think we're both relatively new to the forums it looks like.

But I think Rambo wrote it pretty nicely; He was speaking in terms of the OP (original post). And I bet you're right that the vast majority don't have snow tires. But just like what Rambo said, in the situation of what the OP described, it's probably recommended that he have snow tires.

From what I can tell from Mikie's posts, he's just very curt I mean, a poop sniffing monkey?

right, and i recommended he get snow tires as well. sorry to piss everyone off.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by livendive View Post
    I don't expect to spend much time in the snow, but there will be a few days of snowboarding, one or two times over the pass, and we usually get a few days of snow every winter in my home town. I was thinking of just grabbing four of these to run November thru February on my factory wheels. Any pro/con opinions?
    eh, are you going to throw back your summer tires on your stock rims in feb/nov? If you're going to go with snow tires, from what I can gather, it's better to go the route they suggested above: narrow tires, smaller rims, steelies. But that's my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    From what I can tell from Mikie's posts, he's just very curt I mean, a poop sniffing monkey?
    For the record...I actually didn't make that my avatar. When you've been here as long as I have, the admins and mods really kinda just have their way with you

right, and i recommended he get snow tires as well. sorry to piss everyone off.
    I simply said "false"...that's all. Nobody's pissed. Wrong foot for a few of us here

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    For the record...I actually didn't make that my avatar. When you've been here as long as I have, the admins and mods really kinda just have their way with you
    AWWW... truthfully i'm a little disappointed now

I Support ClubWRX
    Mikie be lyin'.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast