2013 wrx vs 2006
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2013 wrx vs 2006 within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've got an 06' WRX wagon and I'm thinking about making the upgrade to '13 sedan (can't quite get on ...

2013 wrx vs 2006

I've got an 06' WRX wagon and I'm thinking about making the upgrade to '13 sedan (can't quite get on board with the wagon look). I went and test drove one today and, honestly, it felt slower. I know the performance specs don't bear that out. On paper the '13 is quicker to 60 and I have done nothing to change the stock numbers on my '06. Is the power curve on the '13 flatter so that you don't feel quite the turbo rush that you do in the '06. Am I just crazy? Any insight would be appreciated. Before anyone says I should wait for the 2015 debut, I've got some service issues going on with my '06 that kind of make this an ideal time for me to sell it now and move on. Plus, if the spy shots are any indication, I'm guessing the new '15 body is going to make full of rage towards Subi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What dont you like about the Wagon look?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    You have a smaller turbo which gets into positive manifold pressure faster than the newer model. It can "feel" faster, but in reality, it's not.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You have a smaller turbo which gets into positive manifold pressure faster than the newer model. It can "feel" faster, but in reality, it's not.
    Interesting. So then is the curve steeper with a lower peak on the '06? Looking at the numbers, it does appear like the '06 produces its max hp and torque at lower rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post

My biggest beef is those clear tail lights. They were dated the minute they came off the design floor and I'm not sure why Subi has switched to a more modern, less chincy looking solid red. They've had a few year to make that rather simple design change. A close second is the rear window. The way its rounded just doesn't fit with the rest of the lines of the car. The waistline created by the tail lights flows all the way around the car, whereas, if you look at the way the slope of the rear passenger window and the hatch window conflict. Its like that upper rear portion was just a "make it work" after thought that they then covered up with a wing to hide some of the less appealing lines. That said, designing a hot looking hatch must be pretty hard to do. In my opinion the only folks that have truly gotten it right are the Audi designers. The 4 door A3 sportback looks like its carving even without the fender flares and badging that comes with "S" status. If you look at its lines in comparison to the WRX, you can see how the A3's all flow together and interact.

There aren't any outliers, all the way from front fender to rear, that don't tie into the rest of the car. All that said, the S is not coming over here with a 3rd pedal and, even if it did, it would probably be twice the cost of a WRX so I'm not calling the two equals or that I would buy it. I just think Subi could use a bit more talent in their design shop... or at least listen to the talent they have. That concept was on fire!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I can agree with some of your gripes but personally if the car is running fine and doesn't have a ton of miles on it I don't see the need to upgrade. Maybe wait and see how the 15's look and if you dont like it you may be able to get a 14. Does it have to be the sedan or would the hatch be a possible option? Though it is up to you. I consider the 02-07 more of a wagon and the 08+ is more of a hatch. Have you done anything to your car?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Besides finding out that I need new front calipers (the cheapest I could find the Brembo OEMs was $330 a piece) I just got rear ended pretty hard. If there is any frame damage I'm definitely bidding the car a fond farewell. I've dealt with cars after they've had frame repairs and they just aren't ever the same again. If I can jump ship before the front brakes are absolutely necessary I can save myself about a grand. Hence the reason for the for wanting to wait for the '15 debut (in addition to not seeing how Subi could possibly make an attractive design based on the current Impreza body). I was psyched when they announced they were breaking the WRX/STi away from the Impreza line, even more geeked when I saw the concept, and thoroughly disappointed when that turned out to be a pump fake. The whole Subaru design philosophy has gone a little awry over the last 5 years or so in my opinion. None of the cars were particularly suave or sophisticated looking before. That's kind of what I love about my WRX. Save the hood scoop you might give a it's second look, good or bad, but you'll certainly be staring at my rear end a few seconds later. Now its like they are making them intentionally wonky looking. The Impreza, the Crosstrek, and even the Outback all have disjointed the Tonka truck like lines. Just one man's opinion, I know and I'm all for breaking the rules to push forward new and interesting design schemes but they still have to be attractive. Unique for unique's sake seems a waste. The Pontiac Montana was unique but it also happened to look like a mountain had a love child with Robocop.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    fyi- they didnt make a wagon in 2013. they made a hatch.

i have an 06 wrx & test drove a newer body style. i believe it was a 2011. i had the same feelings you did. the newer body styles are just so refined. it doesn't have that raw power feel like the older models do.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

"That said, designing a hot looking hatch must be pretty hard to do."

No there are puh-lenty of them. In Europe. If Suabru made a shooting brake they would kill in the USA. Tehy are close, too, all they would really need to do is a hatch version of the BRZ, maybe with a turbo and some monster brakes. And a pony, since I am fantasizing.

BTW, I meant to say Pontiac Aztec, not Montana. Ugliest car ever.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

walter white doesnt think so

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    fyi- they didnt make a wagon in 2013. they made a hatch.

i have an 06 wrx & test drove a newer body style. i believe it was a 2011. i had the same feelings you did. the newer body styles are just so refined. it doesn't have that raw power feel like the older models do.
    I totally agree I was referring to the current car 06 WRX Wagon. Because of Walter I would want an Aztec

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I can't see anything after that S3 pic...

Quote Originally Posted by crjwingman View Post
    My biggest beef is those clear tail lights. They were dated the minute they came off the design floor and I'm not sure why Subi has switched to a more modern, less chincy looking solid red. They've had a few year to make that rather simple design change. A close second is the rear window. The way its rounded just doesn't fit with the rest of the lines of the car. The waistline created by the tail lights flows all the way around the car, whereas, if you look at the way the slope of the rear passenger window and the hatch window conflict. Its like that upper rear portion was just a "make it work" after thought that they then covered up with a wing to hide some of the less appealing lines. That said, designing a hot looking hatch must be pretty hard to do. In my opinion the only folks that have truly gotten it right are the Audi designers. The 4 door A3 sportback looks like its carving even without the fender flares and badging that comes with "S" status. If you look at its lines in comparison to the WRX, you can see how the A3's all flow together and interact.

There aren't any outliers, all the way from front fender to rear, that don't tie into the rest of the car. All that said, the S is not coming over here with a 3rd pedal and, even if it did, it would probably be twice the cost of a WRX so I'm not calling the two equals or that I would buy it. I just think Subi could use a bit more talent in their design shop... or at least listen to the talent they have. That concept was on fire!!!
    The S3 is a beauty. Heard the same, not coming to the states. Would probably be in the neighborhood of 47K from what the Audi motor heads in the orifice say. On the upside the front end of the WRX/STI is mean. Compliments all day long.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.