K&N Intake W/Stage 1 AP Tune?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on K&N Intake W/Stage 1 AP Tune? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everyone! I recently bought a used 2008 WRX Sedan with a K&N intake and SPT Catback Exhaust. The original ...

K&N Intake W/Stage 1 AP Tune?

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought a used 2008 WRX Sedan with a K&N intake and SPT Catback Exhaust. The original owner said that the K&N intake and exhaust were dealer installed. He told me that the dealer MIGHT HAVE did a "flash" on the car for the intake, but was unsure. So I just purchased a Cobb Accessport v3 and am wondering what stage 1 "map" or "tune" to run off the Accessport with a K&N? I see on Cobb that they have a map for the Cobb SF intake and AEM, however none for a K&N. Which one should I use? Or am I SOL?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    SOL. I'd remove the intake and go back to stock airbox.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'm pretty sure the dealership didn't flash your ecu to tune to that intake..

I was really hoping I didn't have to do that (Zax) But i'm sure your probably right or just buy another Intake. I have no idea what the dealership did to the car for the intake. After reading up on these cars i'm pretty sure the car wasn't tuned for the intake aswell. It only has 40k miles and is really starting to scare me that this car was not properly set up for the K&N...

I Support ClubWRX
    You have three options:
    1) Sell/trade your K&N for either the Cobb or AEM intake
    2) Pay for someone to perform MAF scaling for the K&N intake
    3) Sell/trade your K&N for a stock airbox
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Torqued performance has a map for the K&N intake. Just look on their site.

I had one, and sold it after doing my research. But I could have kept it now that I saw they support the K&N

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Torqued performance has a map for the K&N intake. Just look on their site.

I had one, and sold it after doing my research. But I could have kept it now that I saw they support the K&N
    +1 for this.. you'll be much happier with a tune from Eric compared to a cobb map with any other intake.

Awesome! I will buy the torqued performance Stage 1 map then. Would you guys recommend I just bite the bullet and buy a Cobb intake and use their stage 1/2 AP tune? Or mark your word and use Torqued Performance stage 1/2 maps? (plan to go stage 2 in the near future) Does Torqued Performance give similar or better end results than Cobb maps? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch08WRX View Post
    Awesome! I will buy the torqued performance Stage 1 map then. Would you guys recommend I just bite the bullet and buy a Cobb intake and use their stage 1/2 AP tune? Or mark your word and use Torqued Performance stage 1/2 maps? (plan to go stage 2 in the near future) Does Torqued Performance give similar or better end results than Cobb maps? Thanks!
    Well I hear great things about torqued over Cobb maps. I personally have been seeing knock issues with cobb stage 1. I've tried many of the maps with no resolve, and am currently waiting on help from cobb. Sadly, I know they will probably just tell me to try diff. maps or get a tune...which I think Is crap since I paid $650 already.

Which leads me to Torqued maps, which im considering myself now. When you buy from them, Eric will tweak the maps for you if you have issues...which I think is awesome. Cobb seems to encourage trying their lower octane maps to help with knocks, and if that doesn't help a custom time at a shop is their next option. If that's my future, im going Torqued Performance myself.

The K&N seemed like a fine intake, and the torqued maps may be even better. It would be the cheaper and possibly more satisfying route to go. But I'm not the expert lol.
    Last edited by tesla317; 09-06-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Well I hear great things about torqued over Cobb maps. I personally have been seeing knock issues with cobb stage 1. I've tried many of the maps with no resolve, and am currently waiting on help from cobb. Sadly, I know they will probably just tell me to try diff. maps or get a tune...which I think Is crap since I paid $650 already.

Which leads me to Torqued maps, which im considering myself now. When you buy from them, Eric will tweak the maps for you if you have issues...which I think is awesome. Cobb seems to encourage trying their lower octane maps to help with knocks, and if that doesn't help a custom time at a shop is their next option. If that's my future, im going Torqued Performance myself.

The K&N seemed like a fine intake, and the torqued maps may be even better. It would be the cheaper and possibly more satisfying route to go. But I'm not the expert lol.
    Thanks for the input, I will go with Torqued Performance as well for now. The fact that he can tweak the maps himself makes me more confident this is the way to go if I encounter a problem.. but I am no expert either obviously lol. Hopefully you get the knock resolved, let me know if you go to Torqued Performance in the near future and how you like it.

Would you guys recommend I just bite the bullet and buy a Cobb intake and use their stage 1/2 AP tune? Or mark your word and use Torqued Performance stage 1/2 maps? Does Torqued Performance give similar or better end results than Cobb maps? Thanks!
    I would suggest emailing Eric to get his opinion. My guess is that he'll agree that you're wasting money to buy the Cobb intake if you already have a K&N... put that money towards his map instead...

Personally I didn't have any "problems" with Cobb's OTS maps, but I wasn't blown away by them in the least bit. The Torqued Performance Stage 2 map was a drastic improvement over the Cobb stage2+ @ 91 Oct. Overall Eric revised the map 4 times based on the data logs and feedback I gave him, I couldn't be happier at this point.

I'd definitely go for a TP tune over an Accessport. A couple of friends of mine have his tunes and are very happy with them. And they cost significantly less than an Accessport.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    I'd definitely go for a TP tune over an Accessport. A couple of friends of mine have his tunes and are very happy with them. And they cost significantly less than an Accessport.
    I believe he already has the AP, same as myself. We can just get the software from cobb to read the TP maps and download them to our AP's. then we can flash the new maps with the AP.

To the OP, thanks I hope I get it straightened out as well. I'm just praying it's a tune issue, not mechanical. It's a 2010 wrx with only 26k miles. But id say you will get the TP map before I do. I've thought about asking Eric if he thinks it would fix my issue before I bought one. But if I do I'll definitely get back to you and let you know what I think of it.
    Last edited by tesla317; 09-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.

I will email him (Liquid2k) and see what he says. My guess is the same as yours at this point lol. Thanks for the info, hopefully the stage 1 tune is decent from TP as well. I just purchased the AccessPort so I will just be using Eric's Stage 1 map off the site (Monk_Knight). No doubt hopefully it is not mechanical and just a tune issue like you say (tesla). I'm not sure how long it takes for the AccessPort to ship (ordered it 3 days ago) but I will go with TP no matter what unless I hear different from Eric himself. I will post back the results hopefully in a week or so, thanks everyone.

I will email him (Liquid2k) and see what he says. My guess is the same as yours at this point lol. Thanks for the info, hopefully the stage 1 tune is decent from TP as well. I just purchased the AccessPort so I will just be using Eric's Stage 1 map off the site (Monk_Knight). No doubt hopefully it is not mechanical and just a tune issue like you say (tesla). I'm not sure how long it takes for the AccessPort to ship (ordered it 3 days ago) but I will go with TP no matter what unless I hear different from Eric himself. I will post back the results hopefully in a week or so, thanks everyone.
    No problem, but just a heads up incase you didn't know...

These AccessPORT maps are designed for use with Accesstuner Race Software. You will need to download the Accesstuner Race Software from COBB to run these maps. It takes 24 hours for Cobb to send the software so plan aheadDownload the software here  http://accessecu.com/register/cobb.php

That's from TP's website. You have to get that software before you can get the maps on your AP. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast