Were you allowed to test drive your STi - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Were you allowed to test drive your STi within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; These days I catch myself thinking about things from the business owner's point of view. If a guy who looks ...

I Support ClubWRX
    These days I catch myself thinking about things from the business owner's point of view. If a guy who looks very much like "Joey-JoyRide" comes through the door, I'd have misgivings about letting him drive an STI, too. When we were teenagers, my sister and I would dress up a little, and go test drive cars that we couldn't even entertain buying.

That's one of the lovely things about being middle-aged. If you come in with some gray hair and crow's feet, and are able to form complete sentences without the use of the word "YO", they let you drive their cars.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AGREE!!! I remember my unpaid Road & Track Test Days!.Had lots of fun...Drove an Evo and the salesmans got in the back and did not belt up! so funny to see him silde seats from left to right! That will teach him! Cant blame the dealers cause i did not buy that evo and im a car beater!!! Two weeks ago i went to buy a VW GTI and the sales guy says to me, you want to take the STI over to the other lot to look at it! Umm sure... Needless to say i bought the 2012 STI instead of the VW!!! Then he tells me that my boss wanted you to drive it cause he wanted to get it gone a.s.a.p! to many calls, and people wanting to test drive it! since i was looking at the GTI R. then the STI would fit in too! well it did...Not even the sales guys were alowerd to drive them! funny...I was there finshing up my loan a few days ago and one of the sales guys told me he was banned from the subies cause the turbo went out while he was driving! If you want to buy my Ducati, and you want to test drive you better have a bank loan or cash in hand! Same for all my stuff! In God we trust, all others pay Cash!

I was able to test drive my WRX. The only one that hit my requirements was the one on the showroom floor with 10 miles on it. They didn't hesitate to roll it right out of there to let me drive it. I thought that was pretty cool.
    I did buy the car the next day without even turning on the stereo.

I was at the local dealer in June of this year and took him forever to get me in a 2013 silver hatch....let me test drive the car for about 7 minutes and gave me the run around of how management doesn't like kids taking them for joy rides.....I told him do I look like a kid to you, I'm almost 35 with 3 of my own kids...he was such a jerk, so I went to Subaru of Vineland and the guys there let me drive the car for about almost 45 minutes. The salesman even let my brother drive the car and he wasn't even making the purchase. So guess where I got my Subi? LOL!

I'm 34, 2 kids (no grey hair though) and I test drove an STI and a WRX because I wanted to know if the STI was worth the difference in $ over the WRX. I was very up front about it, and the dealer didn't seem to care much at all. I even took out a child seat out of my car to see how it fit into the STI sedan. If they gave me a hard time about driving either one, I would have left and gone to a different dealer.

It's an STI not a Ferrari (and if I was in the market, I'd expect to drive a Ferrari, too, without any issues). While I do get the issues with letting just anyone drive it, a sales manager should be able to tell the difference between a real buyer and a not-so-real buyer.

I also expect to have a test ride on motorcycles before I buy them from a dealer - one of the reasons I ended up with a Kawi C14 and not a Yamaha FJR. From a private person, I usually give them some form of down payment (refundable of course) before I take a test ride.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 09-23-2013 at 06:36 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

I test drove my STi, but fwiw I'm over 40 and my wife has worked for the dealership for 15 years. While the STi certainly isn't a Ferrari, they are sold in pretty limited numbers. Also, as a buyer would you rather purchase an STi with 7 miles on it (mine) or one with almost a hundred random beaten test driven miles?

When I bought my 05 STi - one dealership wouldn't let me test drive unless I put a down payment on the car. I said you seriously think I'll buy a car without testing it? They then said they'd settle for $200 'good-faith' deposit. Walked out of that dealership and haven't gone back - went down the road to another Subaru and when a salesman walked up, first think I said was I just walked out of another dealership because they wouldn't let me test drive; is that going to be a problem here? That guy was smart enough not to loose the sale.... bought an STi that night from him - AFTER a good test drive.

I was allowed to drive one (didn't buy it). I'm sure it didn't hurt that I drove up in a new Mercedes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123