Were you allowed to test drive your STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Were you allowed to test drive your STi within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by MainFrame I went to the dealer in 02 and test drove the 2.5RS and WRX back to ...

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I went to the dealer in 02 and test drove the 2.5RS and WRX back to back. Bought a WRX about a month later. Then in 2004 when the STi came out I went back to the dealer to test drive it. They had no problem handing over the keys, even though I made it pretty clear I wasn't interested in buying, just wanted to see how the six speed felt.
    A smart dealer knows that a huge amount of the people who buy new cars weren't really thinking about buying when they walked in the door. I was in my local dealership recently to pick up some service items and put my name on the list to drive a new BRZ when they moved it off the showroom floor. Even though the salesman and I talked for awhile about how it was a sweet car that makes little sense around here as a DD (I live at 7000' in Colorado... lots of snow) and I expressly said that I wasn't interested in buying it, I just wanted to see how one felt... he still encouraged me to get on the list to test drive it.

In his words, "You'd be surprised how many people walk in and say that... only to walk out with a new car".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I test drove the sti with only my wife.
    Then ended up going to a different dealer and bought a wrx.

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

I Support ClubWRX
    I test drove my STi with only 2 miles on it. I think the gold/diamond grill I was wearing and the suitcase full of cash helped though...

I've heard of dealers doing this to younger people. It happened to me with an Evo, but I came back a few months later on my GSXR and I was magically mature/made enough to test drive one.

Yeh mitsubishi is extremely strict on test driving an evo. Their thing is that if you are not ready to sign the papers for one, you're not driving it

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a self fulfilling prophesy. I won't buy.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's a self fulfilling prophesy. I won't buy.
    ^ + 1 bye bye
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    I actually had the EXACT same thing happen to me...on a '13 WRX, not even an STI! They said it was their "show car" and nobody wanted a brand new WRX with 30 or 40 miles on it, so they don't let anyone test drive it. Realiy? They probably saw a 24 year old "kid" and thought I was just screwing around and wasn't a serious buyer. Jokes on you; I drove an hour and a half south to buy my Rex from another dealer simply because I didn't want to give them my business from how they disregarded me as a customer. And the dealer I bought from was nothing short of outstanding.
    Always found it odd the sales people/dealerships, will bend over backwards for an older customer and treat a younger customer like crap. How many cars will the younger person buy over a lifetime compared to an older customer? Why not try and build a relationship with the younger customer and gain their loyalty for the next 20+ years? baffling

I work for a dealership. That being said there is no question that there is a bias against younger people, only if a young person wants to drive a mustang gt, Ford raptor, etc.. That being said, I don't agree with it. This is why dealership sales reps are trained to ask pre-qualifying questions. Of couse, someone who is 18 and wants to drive a +30k car the dealership will be apprehensive. The worst test drives I have been on were with middle aged people with their car in service and have a teenage kid with them and want to show off. That is what kills me the most, they will pick a used mustang gt and beat it, with me in the car. Thats when I say PULL THE HELL over and get into the passenger seat or your walking back. You would be surprised the reaction I get. Only happened less than a handful of times. I'm 23 myself so if someone my age walks in I gladly help them. Any older sales reps may be different.

Summary for you lazy folk , I'm a 23 year old car salesman, and even though I am leary of younger people test driving expensive fast cars, but I still let them, IF they PASS my pre-qualifying questions!

I didn't even ask to test drive mine. I knew I was buying it either way.

I took my brothers mustang with me when I was car shopping. I also found that having a solid conversation with the sales staff helped them to be more at ease with someone taking a car for a test drive.
    Bryan | Stink-Eye Mob #265

07 Impreza Outback Sport, 5spd
    Sad I don't have this anymore:
    2012 WRX Premium, Plasma Blue Pearl hatch, Stage 1+
    check out my build thread

So we just got our 2014 shelby GT500. Person walks in the showroom, because that is where it sits, and asks " what its not outside? I wanted to drive it". He pulled up in a 2014 v6 mustang, lightly modded form what I could tell. After explaining to the customer basically that we would have to prequalify you inorder to drive this vehicle. He in turn storms out saying this is B***S***. And left. Now the question is, if the shelby is a vehicle where it is required to make sure a person can afford a 75k vehicle to drive it, where does the line start. We have 55k limited F-150s that I wouldn't think twice about letting someone drive. So is it $ amount, limited availability, or what that causes us to say no to test drives. If it happens with the STI then it really could happen with any vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    So we just got our 2014 shelby GT500. Person walks in the showroom, because that is where it sits, and asks " what its not outside? I wanted to drive it". He pulled up in a 2014 v6 mustang, lightly modded form what I could tell. After explaining to the customer basically that we would have to prequalify you inorder to drive this vehicle. He in turn storms out saying this is B***S***. And left. Now the question is, if the shelby is a vehicle where it is required to make sure a person can afford a 75k vehicle to drive it, where does the line start. We have 55k limited F-150s that I wouldn't think twice about letting someone drive. So is it $ amount, limited availability, or what that causes us to say no to test drives. If it happens with the STI then it really could happen with any vehicle.
    I wouldn't put a 305hp STI in the same category as the most powerful domestic road-going sports car out right now...little bit of a difference. When it comes to that amount of money, and that much at stake because of possible liability of letting someone test drive a 685hp Mustang...damn right I'd have to prequalify him too.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by ITS-STI View Post
    How many of you were actually allowed to test drive your STi before you bought it?
    I was not allowed, and yet I have the car anyway, does that make me dumb?
    Back to point. The OP bought the car, however, was not allowed to test drive it. I'm not opposed to pre-qualifying, it makes sense with high performance, high $$$$$ vehicles of any kind. But I think the argument is you should be allowed to test drive that vehicle.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

My first test drive I stated to the sales rep that I was not buying at that point in time, merely looking into the WRX's because I would like one down the line. The dealership is kinda small so they rarely have WRX's, at the time they had a 2011 STI. I asked just to sit in it and check out the interior(cause I knew it was similar to the regular WRX). Well sitting in the car he hands me the keys and tells me to take it down the road.

It was quite daunting.

After that test drive they eventually got a regular WRX on the lot and I stopped back by to test drive it as that was the model I was interested in. The same sales rep was happy to let me loose with the car, so to speak.

Well, about 1-1 1/2 years after that I finally hunkered down and bought one. It is worth noting that my dealership did not have a WRX in stock at the time and eventually had to have one brought in from another dealership. So I did not specifically test drive the car I bought before delivery, but I had test driven the same model before.

Sorry for the long winded story. I did my best to keep it coherent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast