How America Got Its Crazy Crack-Like Addiction To Buying Subarus

This is a discussion on How America Got Its Crazy Crack-Like Addiction To Buying Subarus within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; From Jalopnik How America Got Its Crazy Crack-Like Addiction To Buying Subarus...

I Support ClubWRX

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    And I here I thought it was gonna say Americans are idiots. lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

#BecauseSubaru

....Because consumer reports made it happen.......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Less than 3% market share is crazy?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Subarus were symbols of well-meaning dorkiness, a sort of Japanese Saab.

I miss those days. One could walk into a dealership without the risk of being addressed as "bro" or "dude" and cars were serviced the same day, because most well-meaning dorks did buy Saabs instead so there were fewer Subarus around.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Subarus were symbols of well-meaning dorkiness
    Were? Look at their base customers (not us WRX folk).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Were? Look at their base customers (not us WRX folk).
    In my region I don't see base Subarus as much as I see turbo models any more. I used to see lots of maroon GL wagons, white Legacy 4 doors, an occasional surviving Brat... Now it's mainly hood scoop models. Maybe I'm in the wrong part of town.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's largely Forester / Outback dorkiness out this way.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting. Living near the Oregon/Washington border, it's obviously Subaru territory. At any given stoplight, at least half the cars will be a Subaru.

While Subaru sales staff haven't struck me as any better than other makes, I will say Subaru service departments have been reliably outstanding, offering great prices on OEM parts (or at least on par with internet prices), friendly service, and Subaru's DIY kits are great.

I haven't tried this with other makes, but is it common for car makers to offer a self-contained upgrade kit (like an auto-dim mirror for example) with everything you need down to extra zip ties, plus excellent Ikea-esque instructions easily readable by anybody? I love that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Less than 3% market share is crazy?
    Honda will sell more Civics than Subaru sells cars in total this year. The automotive media must be bored.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    The automotive media must be bored.
    Eh, I think the article has a valid point. If you look at company size/production capacity vs. sales, you can see Subaru is barely keeping up with demand. Subaru is a far smaller company than Toyota or Honda, and while comparing straight sales numbers is obvious a one-sided comparison, but if you factor in the actual company size, Subaru's volumes are impressive.

The Wall Street Journal article explains this a lot better than Jalopnik: Subaru's Got a Big Problem: It's Selling Too Many Cars - WSJ.com
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Like most printed media they must be terrified. I don't even remember the last time I opened a car magazine. I used to read magazines from four different countries regularly, but this century I've not bought a single issue. The US mags in particular are terrible, and even if they were excellent (if you can, open an issue from the 60s for example) they're unnecessary and largely irrelevant. Unless you're in a waiting room or lobby or own such a place (or maybe own a bird in a cage?) I don't see a reason for the stuff.

It's not just the writers either. The photos got bad too. The whole Dutch tilt thing wouldn't stop. Then they all discovered bokeh, then HDR. Combine it all, add more, and the pics look like the viewer has ataxia and/or is on shrooms.

I miss LJK Setright!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Eh, I think the article has a valid point. If you look at company size/production capacity vs. sales, you can see Subaru is barely keeping up with demand. Subaru is a far smaller company than Toyota or Honda, and while comparing straight sales numbers is obvious a one-sided comparison, but if you factor in the actual company size, Subaru's volumes are impressive.

The Wall Street Journal article explains this a lot better than Jalopnik: Subaru's Got a Big Problem: It's Selling Too Many Cars - WSJ.com
    Good article. I guess I didn't consider it from that angle.