Fuel Pump Puzzle

This is a discussion on Fuel Pump Puzzle within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello-- I have been having some issues with my 93 Impreza fuel pump running intermittently when I try to start ...

Fuel Pump Puzzle

Hello--

I have been having some issues with my 93 Impreza fuel pump running intermittently when I try to start my car for quite some time now. It is not the relay and I have isolated the problem to the fuel pump and pump harnesses (I am getting voltage to harness that plugs into fuel tank). It has never once quit while driving but only seems to have issues on start up. I have the whole assembly out of the car and I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.

Here's the tricky part that I don't understand:

When I jump the fuel pump directly to the battery, it runs just fine. When I jump the appropriate wires in the wiring harness to the battery, I am getting 12 volts to the pump but it is not running. The first picture the pump runs fine, the second, I am getting 12 volts at the pump but it is not running.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0675.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	115914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0676.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	115915

I thought maybe I was losing amperage due to a bad connection but I tried cleaning everything and there does not appear to be any loose connections. I also re-did my splices in the wiring and soldered them (they were butt spliced before). Why is the pump not running!!!! It seems to me that if it is getting voltage it should run.......

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Swap with a known good fuel pump. That seems a lot easier than what you're doing now.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.