Driving with AC on?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Driving with AC on? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatch and love the car except when the AC is on. It just drives ...

Driving with AC on?

I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatch and love the car except when the AC is on. It just drives really weird. I can get the car going fairly well from a stop but shifting between gears feel like it's harsh on the transmission. Has anyone else experienced this? I mean I know that turning the AC on bogs down most cars, especially 4cyl which is fine but the shifting is concerning me. It feels like I have to feather and burn clutch a lot in order to have smooth shifts, again this is only with the AC turned on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I hardly notice the A/C when it is on most of the time in my bought new 2004 WRX.

... except when starting off in first. More feathering the accelerator needed obviously.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scoobs1 View Post
    I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatch and love the car except when the AC is on. It just drives really weird. I can get the car going fairly well from a stop but shifting between gears feel like it's harsh on the transmission. Has anyone else experienced this? I mean I know that turning the AC on bogs down most cars, especially 4cyl which is fine but the shifting is concerning me. It feels like I have to feather and burn clutch a lot in order to have smooth shifts, again this is only with the AC turned on.
    Yes, I notice it a lot in my '09, especially at lower speeds in first gear. You'll get used to it in time and be able to start in first normally - just takes a bit more gas to keep the revs steady as the compressor turns on.
    Last edited by mcdbrendan; 08-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.

I'll be honest with you...I do feel a difference with it on my 2012. It's weird. But not a big deal really.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

ok cool. I guess I'll get used to it. Also, I will never fill up from Arco again lol. Shell, Chevron or Mobil from now on. The dealer filled Shell and I did my first fill up yesterday from Arco by my house, and there is a pretty big drive quality difference.
    Last edited by scoobs1; 08-27-2013 at 04:08 PM.

I have the 2011 hatch and i do notice a difference while shifting into any gear with the A/C on. Having it bog the engine is what makes it feel so different to shift but nothing is being damaged other than burning the clutch to try and get it smooth.

I find Shell and Sunoco are the best on my car, so I try to use those myself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

I Support ClubWRX
    It's got nothing to do with gas, it's the vamperic loss from your AC, your RPM's fall faster between shifts. I find that shifting at 2.5-3 k and using no gas between 1st and 2nd actually smoothens it out. Also shifting very quickly, as in reducing the clutch in /rpm fall time between shifts helps as well. I noticed it on day 1 and I truly loath driving with my AC on. I tried playing with giving the car more gas but that didn't seem to help. The only thing that made gear shifts smooth for me was to be somewhat aggressive and release the clutch quickly but smoothly.

I try to use nothing but shell and mobile in my car. But yea.. That AC... I don't always stall and drive like a wanker, but when I do, it's hot as ballz outside.
    Last edited by KRowe; 08-28-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

Yea, I know it's not from the gas lol. I was just stating that Arco gas feels a lot different than shell. Anyways, I am getting used to it. Like you said if you don't let the RPM's drop too low between shifts, it's much much better.

This is normal. You just have to shift a bit faster to time the faster fall of the engine rpm's.

I Support ClubWRX
    A combination of the hybrid build and years driving the car have made me pretty much unaware of the AC thing. I do feel like it was somewhat noticeable on my stock engine.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Word, lol. Sorry I misread the gas thing and responded as such, I wasn't trying to be an ass hat.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

Quote Originally Posted by KRowe View Post
    That AC... I don't always stall and drive like a wanker, but when I do, it's hot as ballz outside.
    Ha! Well put..

Quote Originally Posted by KRowe View Post
    Word, lol. Sorry I misread the gas thing and responded as such, I wasn't trying to be an ass hat.
    No worries!

I Support ClubWRX
    same response as everyone else. you'll get used to it. Also same thing on the gas remark, the ****ty 7-11 on the corner probably has the same gas as the expensive Mobile or Chevron. It's all made at the same place and it's just the big brand names like to add some extras to it so they can charge more. It's been hashed over many times, hit the search button for it. Also, refineries sometimes produce more gas for "Mobile or Chevron" and guess who buys the leftovers? The other "crappy" gas stations... gas is gas. Just don't goto the store that never gets customers, gas can be old. 2 cents

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.