Driving with AC on? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Driving with AC on? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That is what I also used to think, however, I found out that Arco is not top tier gas, which ...

That is what I also used to think, however, I found out that Arco is not top tier gas, which means it does not contain the detergent requirements for optimal engine performance. Also, I feel quite a big difference between shell and Arco in the way the car drives. It's just not as smooth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Gas is NOT gas...It's actually gas. Gas is what it isn't.

On a side not...When I monitor feedback knock I get slight knock with the AC/Defrost on. When I don't have them on I don't get it. That would tell me that AC/Defrost have an effect on how the car runs.

I don't use AC/Defrost. I like to sweat.

I definitely notice a diff with AC. Both MPG and Giddy up. A mechanic told me that the AC compressor will kick off in defrost mode on many cars as a dehumidifier.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobs1 View Post
    That is what I also used to think, however, I found out that Arco is not top tier gas, which means it does not contain the detergent requirements for optimal engine performance.
    What are the detergent requirements for optimal engine performance?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What are the detergent requirements for optimal engine performance?
    I am not sure what the recipe is. I do know that Chevron, Shell, 76 and Exxon/Mobil are all top tier gas and Arco is not
    On that list. You can read about it at toptiergas.com

Unless I'm working out of my wrx in my button down and slacks, which is alot. I airways have my windows down because to compressor draws on the engine so much.
    I've stalled a couple times forgetting I have to feather alot more. Such a nub

Sent from my Fone

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobs1 View Post
    I am not sure what the recipe is. I do know that Chevron, Shell, 76 and Exxon/Mobil are all top tier gas and Arco is not
    On that list. You can read about it at toptiergas.com
    Consider that fuel is highly regulated, specifically as to content.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think this is partially psychosymatic (the AC thing), and here is why. The next time you go for a drive, set your temp dial all the way to cold (the click below 65), the vent to the dash only setting (no foot well, no defrost) and the recirc to off (letting in air from outside) then drive around for a while. You will notice that the air coming out of your vents is far colder than the air from your windows being open, despite the air from the vents being heated by passing through the engine bay. Do you know why? Well, on the 3rd gens at least, the AC compressor cycles on and off even when you do not have the system set to run. You can also see this by using the same settings, starting the car, then popping the hood and watching the compressor while the car warms up. This means that in all likelyhood, with the AC off, you are still likely to shift (on occation) while the compressor is actively running....but as you know it is off, you think nothing of it (or don't even notice) and auto-correct with the throttle. However, with the AC on, you contiously know that it drains pwer from your engine and are acutely aware of the loss....even though it is only taking less than 3HP from your system.

As for gasoline, I use only Sunoco or Shell, and Exxon in a pinch....cause Cheveron dosen't exist here in southwest PA.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    It's 40 outside right now. The A/C is staying on.

I buy gas based solely on price. In the absence of data the rest is all marketing. I like money more than marketing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.