Hit a blown tire :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hit a blown tire :( within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hit a tire on the highway a day ago. Popped off both the tow hook and 'where the fog light ...

Hit a blown tire :(

Hit a tire on the highway a day ago. Popped off both the tow hook and 'where the fog light would be' cover.
    But the worst damage is underneath. Cracked the bottom of the bumper and tore apart the under trey.

This wouldn't be something the warranty covers would it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your car Warranty would not cover it unless you purched road hazard protection!! but you can claim it to your insurance and they probably going to give you new bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony360 View Post

Hit a tire on the highway a day ago. Popped off both the tow hook and 'where the fog light would be' cover.
    But the worst damage is underneath. Cracked the bottom of the bumper and tore apart the under trey.

This wouldn't be something the warranty covers would it?

No, sorry. A warranty is designed to cover parts that fail before anyone would reasonably expect them too. This is damage.

It's a real PITA when you do all you can to protect your car and then someone else leaves obstacles in the road (although, in this case, it's hardly their fault). I once hit a cat's eye laying above ground. If you've not ever seen one, it's like a huge brick that gets buried in the road and the only part left sticking above ground is the reflective part (http://www.pawsonline.net/images/facts/catseye%2001.jpg). It literally split my wheel in two. A jagged split, the entire way around the wheel.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula156 View Post
    Your car Warranty would not cover it unless you purched road hazard protection!! but you can claim it to your insurance and they probably going to give you new bumper.
    When you hit debris in the road you're just as much at fault as if you hit a telephone pole or another vehicle. Unless the tire was still in the air right after it blew off the vehicle, you're stuck either filing a claim on your insurance (which you will be found 100% at fault) or fixing the damage yourself. From the pictures it doesn't look to be too bad. Buy a lip and new fog light cover and it would hide the damage pretty well. Buy a metal under tray too.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Are there metal under treys?
    And the tire was kicked into my lane while passing a truck. Didn't see it coming.

Don't listen to Drews. I'd file with the insurance company personally. If they're worth their salt they'll cover you. If not, go shopping. Some road hazards are totally unavoidable. I hit some sheet rock "several" years back (fell off a truck). I was fully covered. Give it a shot. Let us know how it goes.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Don't listen to Drews. I'd file with the insurance company personally. If they're worth their salt they'll cover you. If not, go shopping. Some road hazards are totally unavoidable. I hit some sheet rock "several" years back (fell off a truck). I was fully covered. Give it a shot. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah that Drews character has no clue what he is talking about....he has probably never ran into any obstacles before....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

holy! ya file quick. might be out your deductable but thats a (large?) drop in the bucket. or at least have a body shop write up a full estimate so you have a idea if anything other than what you can see is broken, thats a hellova impact. then apply some brew and diy. myself? ill leave bodyshop to the pros haha my paint skillz are 0
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

No disrespect intended on Drews. I do disagree with the arbitrary statement he is 100% automatically at fault. I may be totally off base, or the OP may be pleasantly surprised (depending what his deductible is). He dos need to get a full estimate of damage from a body shop to weigh the pro's and con's of filing. You never know unless you try is my point. It worked out for me on my road hazard.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

The thing is, I don't want to go through insurance. If I have yo pay out of pocket I will.

No prob. Just throwing out another option. Best of luck, and hope all works out well for you on your repairs.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    No disrespect intended on Drews. I do disagree with the arbitrary statement he is 100% automatically at fault. I may be totally off base, or the OP may be pleasantly surprised (depending what his deductible is). He dos need to get a full estimate of damage from a body shop to weigh the pro's and con's of filing. You never know unless you try is my point. It worked out for me on my road hazard.
    Yeah, it's not like my wife is a licensed insurance adjuster or anything. What am I thinking? If there is debris in the road and you hit it, it's your fault.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Yeah, it's not like my wife is a licensed insurance adjuster or anything. What am I thinking? If there is debris in the road and you hit it, it's your fault.
    Wouldn't it depend on the circumstances?

There are definitely times where you could come up on something that should not be in the road and you are unable to avoid it. I suppose it may be a different classification, but I know that if you hit a deer it is covered under insurance (at least mine). Considered to be an Act of God... something that is not your fault and is totally out of your control.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Wouldn't it depend on the circumstances?

There are definitely times where you could come up on something that should not be in the road and you are unable to avoid it. I suppose it may be a different classification, but I know that if you hit a deer it is covered under insurance (at least mine). Considered to be an Act of God... something that is not your fault and is totally out of your control.
    A deer is an act of God and considered a comprehensive claim. Hitting a piece of tire that is already in the road is a collision (with an object in the road). If the tire is flying through the air because it has blown off or fallen off a truck, then that is comprehensive. Both are covered under insurance, but only one is going to affect your rates. Hitting anything that is already in the road, to include potholes, would fall under your collision coverage. If you guys would like to argue some more about insurance coverage and how it works, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

My observations were based on the fact the OP indicated "tire was kicked into my lane while passing a truck". I personally would fight that with the insurance company, depending on repair estimate, deductible, blah blah. But that's just me.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast