Tint shop CRASHED MY 2013 WRX!!!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tint shop CRASHED MY 2013 WRX!!!! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Drews You being picky doesn't make it more difficult to replace a car because it is not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You being picky doesn't make it more difficult to replace a car because it is not unique. You being picky makes it difficult for YOU to replace that car. Your insurance company doesn't give a crap about how much time and effort you've put into your car. It's simply a number to them. Therefore, I think you should just stop paying on insurance all together. Then see how difficult it is for you to replace your car if it gets totaled.
    ALl I am saying is, its not easy, and if its a fault being picky, well, I guess Im a terrible person. So my car isnt just a number to me. Yes Ill get it replaced, I got that, I know that, but someone like me wont be happy about it. Is that SO WRONG?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS-STI View Post
    ALl I am saying is, its not easy, and if its a fault being picky, well, I guess Im a terrible person. So my car isnt just a number to me. Yes Ill get it replaced, I got that, I know that, but someone like me wont be happy about it. Is that SO WRONG?
    I didn't say you're a terrible person. It's not wrong to be unhappy about it, but it's pretty ridiculous to be that emotionally attached to your car. You'd be like the child that gets upset when mommy takes their blankie away.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I didn't say you're a terrible person. It's not wrong to be unhappy about it, but it's pretty ridiculous to be that emotionally attached to your car. You'd be like the child that gets upset when mommy takes their blankie away.
    So if my father passed away leaving me a car he had put a lot of work into, would I be stupid to have an attachment to it? Am I stupid for refusing to sell my Smith & Wesson j-frame passed down from my grandfather to my father then to me? After all...it's just a pistol right? I can tell you right now it will never get sold, for the those reasons alone.

And I chewed on plenty of prospective, .just cuz u find no use in anything other than your family ( which is fine ) doesn't determine how I am. I don't spend every waking moment with my car. In all honesty, I only wax it once a year with a high quality/long lasting acrylic wax. But just taking a little extra time I can take care of my investment.

I do it for myself, not to necessarily to "show off". Like I said, I just take a little extra time and it pays off. I can keep my car up vs letting it go then trying to clean up.

I must have a disease being a perfectionist. And before you say, nothing is perfect, I know that. It's just a term. I simply take my time to do quality work in whatever I do. Yes, material things fade in the end. They will never last. We all know this...but that doesn't mean I can't care for them while they last.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    So if my father passed away leaving me a car he had put a lot of work into, would I be stupid to have an attachment to it? Am I stupid for refusing to sell my Smith & Wesson j-frame passed down from my grandfather to my father then to me? After all...it's just a pistol right? I can tell you right now it will never get sold, for the those reasons alone.

And I chewed on plenty of prospective, .just cuz u find no use in anything other than your family ( which is fine ) doesn't determine how I am. I don't spend every waking moment with my car. In all honesty, I only wax it once a year with a high quality/long lasting acrylic wax. But just taking a little extra time I can take care of my investment.

I do it for myself, not to necessarily to "show off". Like I said, I just take a little extra time and it pays off. I can keep my car up vs letting it go then trying to clean up.

I must have a disease being a perfectionist. And before you say, nothing is perfect, I know that. It's just a term. I simply take my time to do quality work in whatever I do. Yes, material things fade in the end. They will never last. We all know this...but that doesn't mean I can't care for them while they last.
    I don't know if it's fair to compare a car handed down by a dead relative against a car you bought. The car from your father is something that reminds you of the person. It's still just a car, there's nothing special about the metal that it's made up of, but the memories of who owned the car are what make the car (and the pistol) important and, in your eyes, priceless. Still, I don't disagree with the way you feel about your car, it's just it shouldn't define you as a person.

Also, I don't disagree that people too often don't care about taking care of their stuff, or someone else's. In many cases it's harmless, in some cases it can result in injury, or worse.

That said, the negligence of the driver in the video is what really troubles me. It's an accident, but it's a blatant oversight that shouldn't be made, and it's luck that no one was hurt.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ohhhh...hypotheticals! I'll play. First off, do you have a car that your father passed down to you that he put a lot of work into? If emotional attachment somehow made a vehicle more valuable I'd start loving my cars exponentially every single day. Secondly, you can't compare a small family heirloom to a vehicle you purchased. Hell, you can't even compare something your father passes down to the car you drive now. I'd hope you'd feel the life lessons, morals and how to be a decent human being are far more valuable than any possession he could give you. #Howdoeslifework?

I can tell you're a perfectionist from your awesome use of horrible grammar and very poor reading comprehension. Maybe you can find some more "prospective" in the near future...

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I find this threat rather amusing hahaha. It's good that the shop will cover all expenses and not complain or talk **** about it.
    15 year old

I personally think this was an excellent post. Jimmy is anti-materialistic....and you/many others, including myself aren't materialistic per say, but enjoy caring for some physical things. Jimmy hates his cars. I on the other hand, actually really enjoy my new car, more than my last and I want to take care of it more because I kind of let my last STI turn into a piece. It had 131k on it and I just really was over it. But I'm starting fresh. I will be upset if something happens to this car because I do think of my car habit as a hobby or a small passion kind of like soccer is to me. But at the same time, I'll get over it and hope for the best. It's all I can do while I right was was wronged. :dunno:
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ohhhh...hypotheticals! I'll play. First off, do you have a car that your father passed down to you that he put a lot of work into? If emotional attachment somehow made a vehicle more valuable I'd start loving my cars exponentially every single day. Secondly, you can't compare a small family heirloom to a vehicle you purchased. Hell, you can't even compare something your father passes down to the car you drive now. I'd hope you'd feel the life lessons, morals and how to be a decent human being are far more valuable than any possession he could give you. #Howdoeslifework?

I can tell you're a perfectionist from your awesome use of horrible grammar and very poor reading comprehension. Maybe you can find some more "prospective" in the near future...
    Well I'm done with this thread. You basically said it was ridiculous to have an emotional attachment to a car. I was simply giving you a example. It may be apples to oranges, but the principal remains. As far as my grammar goes, it's just fine. However, when posting from my phone and in a hurry...it doesn't come out perfect all the time. Hence the missing capitals as well as missing punctuation. Also autocorrect can be a bi#ch, and I don't always catch those prospective/perspective mistakes.

This has got way off topic as is, and you seem to be the only one so determined to dispute me. So you can look at life your way, I'll look at it mine. My whole point from the beginning was that I simply don't trust the majority of people. Many of the examples of neglect on this forum, including personal, only reinforce my distrust. Again, my opinion vs yours. I'm done bickering on a forum.
    Last edited by tesla317; 08-22-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Eh, I tried that whole anti-materialistic thing back in the day living for years in a 10x20 cabin with no water or electricity.

Screw all that. I want stuff, and a lot of the stuff I have I would be very upset if something happened to it.

The sentimental stuff (especially a gun) is obviously in a different category than a new car though.

Another philosophy on life would indicate that life is too short to spend arguing about materialism and taking internet discussions seriously.

I guess I'm tempted to close this even though it has apparently been entertaining for some because it seems to have gotten a bit personal. How about if ya'll practice your bantering skills up a bit instead so we can keep this open.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I never said I was anti-materialistic.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    My 05 STI that I still owed $9400 on just got totaled. Everywhere I was looking to trade it in would only give me $9000. Even offers to buy it outright were only as high as $13,500. My insurance company gave me $16,300 for it, based on the averages of 5 2005 STIs that were for sale in my area. I paid off my lien and got $7000 to put towards another car.

Needless to say, I now drive a much nicer, less miles, less beat up, 2012 WRX sedan. Albeit not an STI, but its a MUCH better car than what I had. If I used that $7k to find another 2005 STI, I would have found one in MUCH better condition with much less miles than the one I had. My insurance company came through in the clutch, and did exactly what I pay them a good amount of money to do...

So unfortunately, I disagree with your point here.
    WTH? Where was I for this story?

Got a link??

I'd say sorry to hear that, but it sounds like it worked out great and apparently you are still alive too!

I Support ClubWRX
    I never said I was anti-materialistic.
    Well, you were coming down pretty hard on someone for being too attached to their possessions, and made it sound like material possessions should be completely irrelevant to a person's happiness.

Maybe you could clarify how that meshes with you not being anti?

Regardless of the "easy come easy go" nature of insurance, a new car is a valuable possession and someone will have to pay to fix it. Do you think the insurance company is actually the one to pay? They will recoup their losses.

That being said, I would certainly not be pissed off in this situation, just not for the philosophical reasons. More so because it was an accident, and people do stupid **** (including myself) which requires us being forgiving. A couple of years ago I actually did this - walked away from the car running to go back to the house for something, came back out several minutes later, and it was just starting to roll. I got it, but the amount of luck involved was stupendous.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    apparently you are still alive too!
    lol 'totaled' sounds SO much more dramatic than drowned I think Mikie'll be ok
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Well, you were coming down pretty hard on someone for being too attached to their possessions, and made it sound like material possessions should be completely irrelevant to a person's happiness.

Maybe you could clarify how that meshes with you not being anti?

Regardless of the "easy come easy go" nature of insurance, a new car is a valuable possession and someone will have to pay to fix it. Do you think the insurance company is actually the one to pay? They will recoup their losses.

That being said, I would certainly not be pissed off in this situation, just not for the philosophical reasons. More so because it was an accident, and people do stupid **** (including myself) which requires us being forgiving. A couple of years ago I actually did this - walked away from the car running to go back to the house for something, came back out several minutes later, and it was just starting to roll. I got it, but the amount of luck involved was stupendous.
    If you read his post, he was talking about how he takes pride in how well he takes care of his car so that others take notice. To me, that's letting your possessions define you. I never said possessions are irrelevant, I said cars specifically are nothing to get upset about. I have many things that I would be upset about losing, but my cars are not one of them. If your car gets totaled it would be significantly easier to replace than if your house were to burn down. I take pride in my home because that's actually a milestone in life for most people. Just about anyone can buy a new car. Maybe my priorities are just mixed up and I should start taking better care of my car and knock my family down a few notches on the list. lol

I Support ClubWRX
    If you read his post, he was talking about how he takes pride in how well he takes care of his car so that others take notice. To me, that's letting your possessions define you. I never said possessions are irrelevant, I said cars specifically are nothing to get upset about. I have many things that I would be upset about losing, but my cars are not one of them. If your car gets totaled it would be significantly easier to replace than if your house were to burn down. I take pride in my home because that's actually a milestone in life for most people. Just about anyone can buy a new car. Maybe my priorities are just mixed up and I should start taking better care of my car and knock my family down a few notches on the list. lol
    Your car guy card - I'll just keep it safe here for you in case you ever want it back.

Everyone has their priorities. Some guys can buy cars that cost more than my house. The importance of making an impression on people daily and especially judging people based on very superficial things like the appearance of their car is not something I personally espouse either. I'll hold the quality of my teaching up against anyone who keeps their office clean, for example. Although I got burned out on it, I did actually spend a lot of time keeping my car in spit polish, but that was for me to appreciate. In my mind a lot of days it looked too good, and I was mindful that my colleagues probably felt I was overly attached and wasted too much time keeping up with the shine. The first scratch etc. was a serious downer, until I settled on the concept that things that you don't look at and force yourself not to notice might not actually exist (lol). Keeping a gun in lousy condition though is a serious character fault IMHO.

Regardless of what he said though, my impression of what you were saying was much broader and generalized than your clarification indicates.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast