So as many of you know I decided to drown my car a la Drews style. Well, not completely I wasn't joy riding, and I didn't see a puddle I decided to just enjoy myself by going through it.
I was out running errands with the lady last Sunday evening, and it started downpouring in the Philly area. Ended up getting 8 inches of rain in under two hours. I was on my way home driving through the same upscale neighborhood side street that I have to take to get to my mediocre residence that I take multiple times, every single day for over the last year. Never once had water pooled up on this road anywhere, even when I had driven on it through Hurricane Sandy. Come around a blind curve, complete darkness...and splash...right into an immediate 2 feet of water. It started pouring into the doors almost immediately. Engine completely shut down, CELs flashing like it's their job, tailpipe completely submerged..etc. Quick put down the window, climbed out...told Megan to jump in the drivers seat to steer...and I pushed the car 20 more feet forward til I was out of the flood waters. But it was too late...damage was done. Wasn't going to try and start it like that right there...so I called Progressive and and already started a claim. Pushed the car another 400ft to the end of the neighborhood to park it (I was about 1000 feet total away from home). Came back the next morning to see if things had dried out...but nope. Engine would crank, but nothing else. 2 inches of standing water were sitting in the foot wells inside. I had no means to pull the plugs or drain the oil/coolant or anything else since none of my tools are at this house. I did pull of the Cobb intake...and it was soaked. It had water in it still, even after sitting over night.
So...long story short, after Insurance checked it out and pulled it apart, they saw water everywhere. It was done. They told me that if the engine needed replacement, it would be totaled. And that's what happened.
The sad thing is, I had been mulling over the idea of trading it on something and cutting the losses since I still owed $9400 on it (thats all any dealer was really willing to give me with 131k miles on the clock) or repairing the rear diff and enjoying it until the wheels fell off...which is what I had literally just decided to do that day when discussing with my family and Megan.
After it happened, I was really worried they'd just repair the block and make it driveable again, and send me on my merry way. That would have KILLED any value the car would have had left if I tried a private sale. Flood damage on reports doesn't look too good. I would have been stuck continuing to pay for an 8 year old car with 131k+ miles on it and no way out.
But best case scenario played out...and insurance called it a Total Loss...they'd pay my lien off...and give me the difference, which included an extra $1000 on top from all the mods that I'd put into it (coilovers, exhaust, etc.). Look up the average market value for a 2005 STI on JD Power and Associates right now, and that's what I'll be getting back, with the difference going towards a new down payment. Saturday morning I get to go pull anything else out of the car that I want which includes all my audio equipment as well as the Yakima roof rack.
It's been a crappy situation all week with no car. For some reason I had no rental coverage on my NJ policy, when I used to in PA. But it seems to actually all be working out in my favor, so I'm getting kind of excited again.
So now the search begins...what to drive next? I do have some ideas which I am leaning towards