Cobb sticky?

This is a discussion on Cobb sticky? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Is there a Cobb sticky for information about people that may have had any problems after going 1 or 2 ...

Cobb sticky?

Is there a Cobb sticky for information about people that may have had any problems after going 1 or 2 stage Cobb?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No. There isn't any kind of information you can put into a sticky other than Contact info for Cobb, which is readily available on their website...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hmmm... Is that strange? I would think people would want to share their info. good or bad. The making of a thread with such information is not against forum rules, is it?
    Thanks,
    Rob.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalloco
    Hmmm... Is that strange? I would think people would want to share their info. good or bad. The making of a thread with such information is not against forum rules, is it?
    Thanks,
    Rob.
    If you have a review for a vendor (e.g., Cobb), you can create a thread in our Reviews forum:
    Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review

If you're having an issue with Cobb S1/S2 mapping, create a thread in our Tuning forum:
    Tuning: Electronic Engine Management

Be sure to include a full modification list, and relevant datalogs showing the issue. There are a few people here who can help you interpret what the logs mean, and can give you pointers on how to resolve the issue. However, one thing that's included with the purchase of the Cobb AP is their support of the maps. I would urge you to start there to see if they can resolve your issue (since you paid for it), and if you're still not satisfied, then look elsewhere. Either way, if you posted a thread in the Tuning section with the specifics I mentioned before, I'd be happy to take a look at the information and give you some guidance...

UNYSOC

Thanks EJ257. I dont have a problem. I am still totally stock and am going back and fouth as to if I want to stay stock or get tuned. I was just looking for some help weighing out the pros and cons and maybe see if there are some members out there that major problems after tuning. Its a big step. I want more power just like the next guy but the reliability of my car is most important. ya know?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalloco
    Thanks EJ257. I dont have a problem. I am still totally stock and am going back and fouth as to if I want to stay stock or get tuned. I was just looking for some help weighing out the pros and cons and maybe see if there are some members out there that major problems after tuning. Its a big step. I want more power just like the next guy but the reliability of my car is most important. ya know?
    The maps are one-size-fits-all. Unfortunately, in the real world, that isn't always the case. As a general rule, though, it's a fairly safe bet (as you know, any bet has some risk). I would say buy the part through Cobb, if you have an issue, see if they can resolve it. If not, pursue a refund.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    That's my stance too. In fact I'd say we shouldn't have a FAQ here for Cobb stuff, since they make their money selling their stuff. They should support it fully.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The maps are one-size-fits-all. Unfortunately, in the real world, that isn't always the case. As a general rule, though, it's a fairly safe bet (as you know, any bet has some risk). I would say buy the part through Cobb, if you have an issue, see if they can resolve it. If not, pursue a refund.
    ^ this ^

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's my stance too. In fact I'd say we shouldn't have a FAQ here for Cobb stuff, since they make their money selling their stuff. They should support it fully.
    ^ this ^

OP, i had issues w/ stage 2 "boost creep" while running a Cobb CAI and Catted DP mated to OEM exhaust... after going back and forth w/ Cobb (they are very helpful) i just went ahead and got pro tuned. Problem solved.

it isn't anything unusual to have issues w/ the OTS maps... but Cobb will work with you as long as you do your part... i.e. Take Data Logs, read the map notes and follow instructions.. at the end of the day, you don't want to be running a map that could kill your subie.

** i am NOT an expert, just an end user **
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Sweet WRXchet! Those are the types of replies I was hoping to get started with this thread since one like it is not already out there.

i had the same problem as WRXchet, i kept getting boost creep at stage 2 with intake.
    cobb intake, cobb OTS map, invidia catted dp, invidia catback.

even with the LWG map and SLWG map i still would get creep and hit the cut usually in 3rd or 4th gear. kind of annoying but i fixed my problem by putting the stock airbox back on. that has solved the problem thus far but just pointing out that even the "one size fits all OTS maps" can still have problems on certain cars. i heard a protune can fix the problem but to me a $600 protune wasnt worth it on the stock turbo/fuel system.
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by logicalloco View Post
    Sweet WRXchet! Those are the types of replies I was hoping to get started with this thread since one like it is not already out there.
    There's plenty of threads with people posting with "problems" or "questions", about various things after getting tuned (OTS or protuned). Also a lot of knowledge based stuff like a majority of the people have problems with boost creep if they go stage 2 with a cattless DP.

As far as going with cobb, a good majority of "A-Class" tuners are requiring that you own an accessport in order to get protuned by them. For a couple reasons:
    Two that come to mind:

1) its easy to switch between maps using the accessport

2) it allows them to protect their IP with accesstunerpro which allows them to lock the maps that they make for you.

As EJ said, anything comes with inherent risk. If it were me (which i plan on doing after my warranty is up and the car is paid off) I'd get the accessport and get protuned. Its like the difference between just buying a cheap suit and getting one tailored for you. both may look ok, but the tailored one is guna fit like a glove.

Plus then you can add other mods such as larger fuel pump/injectors if you have worries about running high duty cycles and discuss with the tuner about how you want your car to function (dailydriver, autox, drag, peak boost, area under curve, etc)

my $.02

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY
    As far as going with cobb, a good majority of "A-Class" tuners are requiring that you own an accessport in order to get protuned by them. For a couple reasons:
    Two that come to mind:

1) its easy to switch between maps using the accessport

2) it allows them to protect their IP with accesstunerpro which allows them to lock the maps that they make for you.
    #1 has nothing to do with it. Switching maps with Cobb and OpenECU are pretty much similar in terms of ease; one uses a handheld device, one uses a laptop.

#2 is a big part of it

#3 would be that supposedly (I don't have ATP license), there is better table definition with Cobb, since Merchgod was hired by them

UNYSOC