Too much vibration?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Too much vibration? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK this may be a dumb noob question, but on a longish drive in NE via I-80 recently I noticed ...

Too much vibration?

OK this may be a dumb noob question, but on a longish drive in NE via I-80 recently I noticed a fair amount of vibration both on the steering wheel and from the body. Now normally I would attribute this to our horrendous roads, but this stretch of asphalt was laid this spring. It is a 2012 WRX Premium with 17K miles. No problems with braking or turning. Fairly new Fuzion tires with most of tread. It seems more noticeable at 75-80 mph than less.

By comparison, with my previous ride, BMW Z4, I felt every rock on the road, so vibration was not really noticeable in the context of a really rough ride. On my fiancee's Chevy Avalanche there's similar vibration, but then that's a truck.

My guess is it's coming from the tires and road plus minus some engine noise. I previously had a Honda CRV that had horrible noise and vibration that went away when I got new tires (though previous Goodyear Triple Treads were only about a year old--bad experience with these tires). And I know Fuzions are not top-quality tires.

Any thoughts? Is slight vibration par for the course with this car at higher speeds?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    1. Check air pressure.
    2. Check alignment.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

hmmm maybe you need to balance your tires
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

When did you last have the wheels balanced?

I just purchased the car used from CarMax. I assume air pressure is OK, haven't checked it yet. I don't know when it was last balanced. I can take it in to have them look at it next week though (30-day CarMax warranty).

Do what Zax told you to do. You could also do a road force balance, if you can get it for free under the warranty.

Also, check the inner part of tires....are they really worn? If so, then its an alignment issue.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I just purchased the car used from CarMax. I assume air pressure is OK, haven't checked it yet. I don't know when it was last balanced. I can take it in to have them look at it next week though (30-day CarMax warranty).
    Then air pressure and balancing is where I'd start. Then check alignment and bearings. Having said that, I've never heard of Fuzion tires. Could just be caused by cheap, crappy tires.

Fuzion is I believe a subsidiary of Bridgestone, maybe their discount brand? They are made in the USA. These are UHP's, all-season tires. While in general you get what you pay for with tires, I have had some bad experiences with expensive, highly rated tires. I do not see any appreciable wear or uneven wear. My guess is the previous owner slapped a new set of tires on the car before he traded it in.

They are made in the USA.
    So are Big Macs. Doesn't mean they won't kill you.

My guess is the previous owner slapped a new set of tires on the car before he traded it in.
    Possibly. I'd have everything checked out first. If your problem still isn't solved, try a set of better quality tires. If Fuzion tires provided excellent all-around performance on the WRX, Subaru's OEM tires wouldn't be something that cost two or three times as much.

Just a thought. Hopefully it's as simple as rebalancing them.

Also, you should still have Subaru's warranty too. Just so you are aware that after Carmax's 30 days are up, you still have warranty. Also, check the pressure. I had a wobble around 75-80 and turned out my left front was a bit lower than the others.
    '11 WRX DGM

I can't read the title of this thread on the main page without laughing.

/immaturity
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Turn the knob down on the vibrator /immaturity
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I logged another 200 highway miles in the WRX over the weekend. I'm convinced it's a combination of factors: engine hum, Subie suspension, sympathetic vibrations, and tires. It's really pretty subtle, on a par with my fiancée's Avalanche, but I guess I was expecting something much cushier after my Z4's unforgiving ride.

To put it in perspective, it is a a LOT smoother than the Z4 and makes me not wince every time I hit a crack or pothole.

I agree the tires could be playing a role - I replaced some bad tires on my CRV and the difference in ride and road noise was night and day. These tires have a lot of tread and LOOK GREAT, so I will probably keep them on til winter then consider some real winter tires.

Btw I do miss the 6th gear from the BMW. A little over 2000 rpm with the Beemer in 6th gear vs 3000 in the WRX in 5th gear does make a difference.

I bought my current miata from Carmax and it does the same thing.. I brought it back to tell them that it shakes from like 65-70 and they said it's because it's a convertible.. I drove other same gen miatas and while they do shake, mine is much more noticeable. I would just demand that they check everything for you since you have that warranty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.